• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fired! Reasons for leaving?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I moderate a large software producer's online forums. It is entirely common for people from a particular country to ask for "real life examples". This is so they can pass at interview as though they've really done the work. Some are more upfront - "Can anyone send me sample CVs". Then there are the people who are on client site, and asking technical questions which show they've neither experience, training nor ability.

I don't care, as a hiring manager, whether people are qualified. I only care if they can do the job. But if you lie on a CV, I'd sack you, because it would be a breach of trust. Why lie? Especially when the truth can be so malleable.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They empirically do care based on the fact that they bothered to check.
    Doubtful.
    A major part of banking compliance checks are there because of government regulations and red tape, not because the banks would choose themselves to have them.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    indeed

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But they dont check if you dont list your qualifications, or care if you have a degree or not

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    What puts "genuine applicants" like yourself at a disadvantage is that you do not have the skills and experience that he has. You know, the sort of things a company will look for in a contractor. They don't care what you studied at university, they care about a proven history of delivering on the type of project that they are running..

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Connor
    replied
    Lying ?

Lying on your CV is both bad and stupid.

That's not the same as "dealing with a discrepancy"...

A while back I had to do battle with Resource Solutions who are the outsourced bit of Robert Walters. The feckless bimbo I was dealing with wanted to shaft a contractor of mine over his qualifications.

The guy in question had a PhD in CompSci from Imperial and RS were arguing with me over whether he had represented it truthfully. I'd tech interviewed the guy myself and read part of his PhD thesis, she had problems even operating her phone so it got both surreal and confrontational.

If I hadn't got quite aggressive, as in going to the hiring manager and using words like "twat" about her conduct the poor guy would have been shafted.

The reality of course was the Resource Solutions were trying to keep any other agents out so that Robert Walters could slurp at the trough.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Tell them it came to an unnatural end, then.
    Or just say that the contract 'came to an end'

...or perhaps "It is an ex-Contract".....or "The contract is deceased"......or <Insert your dead-parrot line here>

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by greensleeves View Post
    I am happy to say the contract came to a natural end but that would still involve lying.
    Tell them it came to an unnatural end, then.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Too right and who worries about references
    Um, well, Agents - don't they always say "and if you could just give me <insert number here> references"......and they must be telling the truth, right?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Some of us on here not only don't have degrees, we've never been asked and we certainly don't care enough to lie.
    Too right and who worries about references

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I've known a couple of members of staff, not ours fortunately, who lied on their CV. It worked fine until they bumped into someone who knew them from their old job, or knew someone they knew, and knew the real reason that they left. One was the same type of thing - added a job they were sacked from as a fixed term contract. It's a small world sometimes, and these things have a habit of biting your on the bum when you least expect it!

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Bit of an odd statement to make on a thread where the OP has been binned for what you say they don't care about. The existence of this thread seems to go against what you are saying.
    No, it appears the OP was binned for showing dishonesty, not neccessarily for the subject that his degree is in. It's a subtle difference.

It's the difference between not getting a contract because you have a degree in "Maths with Computing" when they want "Computing with Maths", and the client saying "You told us you had Maths with Computing and this isn't true".

Would the client have cared whether he had CwM instead of MwC, or was it simply that he didn't have what he told them he had which mattered?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by greensleeves View Post
    Are references necessary for contract roles? Bearing in mine I will be going for banks/ financial institutions which are quite strict with background checks.
    Try it and see - nothing beats experience.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Some of us on here not only don't have degrees, we've never been asked and we certainly don't care enough to lie.

Leave a comment:

• greensleeves
    replied
    references

"The contract came to a natural end"

"The contract ended and there was no scope for an extension"

"I got caught lying and was terminated"

Take your pick out of those.
    The original error on my CV is minor and my hiring manager confirmed it did nothing to influence the hiring decision as I was awarded the contract based on my past experience. Basically I was fired by the Compliance Policy, not my hiring manager.

I am happy to say the contract came to a natural end but that would still involve lying. After what happened, I feel inclined to be totally transparent to avoid any more nasty incidents like this. But I will take your advise and pray it does not come back to haunt me.

If I do go with the "contract ended" explanation... what happens if they ask for references from my previous job? My hiring manager, supportive of me as she is, will probably tell the truth that I was fired even if she has promised to provide positive feedback on my performance and capabilities.

Are references necessary for contract roles? Bearing in mine I will be going for banks/ financial institutions which are quite strict with background checks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    What puts "genuine applicants" like yourself at a disadvantage is that you do not have the skills and experience that he has. You know, the sort of things a company will look for in a contractor. They don't care what you studied at university, they care about a proven history of delivering on the type of project that they are running.

I've only ever been asked about my studies because I'm currently doing a degree with the OU whilst working (in a non-work related subject). Even then, the questions have been more interest in how I balance the two, or genuine interest in the subject, nothing to do with what I studied 15 years ago.
    Bit of an odd statement to make on a thread where the OP has been binned for what you say they don't care about. The existence of this thread seems to go against what you are saying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X