• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fired! Reasons for leaving?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fired! Reasons for leaving?

I was terminated from a contract prematurely with an investment bank. After 3 months. The background screening process had thrown up a discrepancy in my education as stated in my CV. It was a small error concerning the type of degree major concerned but I was terminated anyway under the bank's Compliance policy despite my hiring manager being entirely satisfied with my performance thus far.

Question is... how should I explain my "reasons for leaving" in my search for a new contract?

I do not want to lie but neither do I want to sabotage my own chances of employment.

I spoke with HR of the bank and they said they are not allowed to reveal reasons for my leaving, only the dates for which I was with the bank. My hiring manager is happy to be a reference but she has stated that she will be truthful if asked for reason for my leaving.

Anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated!

Question is... how should I explain my "reasons for leaving" in my search for a new contract?
    Your a contractor you don't need to have a reason why you left, the contract just ended.

I have never been asked why I left my last job as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      Your a contractor you don't need to have a reason why you left, the contract just ended.

+1

"The contract came to a natural end"

"The contract ended and there was no scope for an extension"

"I got caught lying and was terminated"

Take your pick out of those.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        +1 to this. Never been asked and don't expect to either but if they do ask you could respond as follows..

'All work supplied by the client was completed'

...which is correct. They supplied work, you did it. They stop providing you work so couldn't do any more. Simples.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So you said Cambridge Computer Science 1:1 on your CV but it was really a Ordinary degree in Midwifery from North East Yorkshire college. What's their problem?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            So you said Cambridge Computer Science 1:1 on your CV but it was really a Ordinary degree in Midwifery from North East Yorkshire college. What's their problem?
            It puts genuine applicants like myself at a disadvantage. If he's got experience then he doesn't even need to bother lying about this. I got zero experience (except the odd part-time work during my studies and web dev) and my academic life is the only thing I got going for me for the most part.

It's hard enough without other people lying on their CVs!! IMO he got what he deserved if he did intentionally lie.
            I have finished my studies and I'm looking for work. If anyone's interested:

- I make excellent coffee.
            - I'm ethically flexible. Very open-minded.
            - I live within my means, no financial risks, no gambling.
            - I don't have a religion, so no sneaky conversion attempts.
            - I buy the first round.
            - Easily adaptable to new groups, environments... go with the flow type.

Comment

Schoolboy error

Originally posted by greensleeves View Post
              I was terminated from a contract prematurely with an investment bank. After 3 months. The background screening process had thrown up a discrepancy in my education as stated in my CV. It was a small error concerning the type of degree major concerned but I was terminated anyway under the bank's Compliance policy despite my hiring manager being entirely satisfied with my performance thus far.

I do not want to lie but neither do I want to sabotage my own chances of employment.

I spoke with HR of the bank and they said they are not allowed to reveal reasons for my leaving, only the dates for which I was with the bank. My hiring manager is happy to be a reference but she has stated that she will be truthful if asked for reason for my leaving.

Anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated!
              Schoolboy error - Never put any education details on your CV (unless you have less than 5 years exp in contracting) as try and find those old certificates after 10 years + is a nightmare. and Banks dont really care anyway what degree or not in 99% of contracts

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                Schoolboy error - Never put any education details on your CV (unless you have less than 5 years exp in contracting) as try and find those old certificates after 10 years + is a nightmare. and Banks dont really care anyway what degree or not in 99% of contracts
                Just phone up the university and ask for a copy. Its not exactly difficult.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
                  It puts genuine applicants like myself at a disadvantage. If he's got experience then he doesn't even need to bother lying about this. I got zero experience (except the odd part-time work during my studies and web dev) and my academic life is the only thing I got going for me for the most part.
                  What puts "genuine applicants" like yourself at a disadvantage is that you do not have the skills and experience that he has. You know, the sort of things a company will look for in a contractor. They don't care what you studied at university, they care about a proven history of delivering on the type of project that they are running.

I've only ever been asked about my studies because I'm currently doing a degree with the OU whilst working (in a non-work related subject). Even then, the questions have been more interest in how I balance the two, or genuine interest in the subject, nothing to do with what I studied 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    What puts "genuine applicants" like yourself at a disadvantage is that you do not have the skills and experience that he has. You know, the sort of things a company will look for in a contractor. They don't care what you studied at university, they care about a proven history of delivering on the type of project that they are running.

I've only ever been asked about my studies because I'm currently doing a degree with the OU whilst working (in a non-work related subject). Even then, the questions have been more interest in how I balance the two, or genuine interest in the subject, nothing to do with what I studied 15 years ago.
                    Be that as it may, lying about your education on your CV DOES put other applicants (honest) at a disadvantage. No matter how you look at it, it's wrong.
                    I have finished my studies and I'm looking for work. If anyone's interested:

- I make excellent coffee.
                    - I'm ethically flexible. Very open-minded.
                    - I live within my means, no financial risks, no gambling.
                    - I don't have a religion, so no sneaky conversion attempts.
                    - I buy the first round.
                    - Easily adaptable to new groups, environments... go with the flow type.

Comment

Working...
                    X