• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client expectations - first gig"

Collapse

• rurffy
    replied
    I hate it when work goes really quiet , - FFS!! , i keep looking at the digital numbers by the lower right hand side of my computer screen all Day.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If there is no work to do, then the idea of having someone who isn't a permie there is that they don't get paid.

Generally, this is somewhat theoretical.
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No it does happen in practise - I've had time off when there was no work to do.
    I've even volunteered to do this in the past when a)work wasn't properly planned yet b)I had other things to do. It doesn't normally work but I do have one email somewhere asking me not to work a few days.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This is pathetic. I started a permie job a couple of months ago and the expectation was my first feature was to be ready for production after three days, and when I arrived I was given a an "empty PC" and a Linux "Kubuntu" CD, that was after fighting a while with a Debian CD that didn´t have all the device drivers, and the internal help desk didn´t do Linux.

After 2 hours the manager was hassling me why I hadn´t got my skype account sorted....

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Originally posted by North887 View Post
    Hi

This is my first post after securing my first contract role but I could do with advice.

The role im doing is pretty quiet, as in most of the time im really doing nothing at all. I ask around for stuff but it seems to getting on the nerves of everyone else, im the only contractor. Ive just been told its going to get even quieter and that i should be pro active and find stuff to do there.

However as a contractor I expected that this was the responsibility of the client not me, to find me stuff to do.

Thanks
    Why don't you start working from home!?

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Careful FAQQer - I'm a man on the edge...
    Join the club only try to keep the moans to yourself as the rest of us do.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Don't worry.

The hiring manager just has some budget he needs to get rid of and has already bought a room full of expensive servers they don't really need.

Leave a comment:

• North887
    replied
    Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

I guess this stuff happens in contracting. It seems to be a delicate balance being a pro active contractor and some office dogsbody that falls withing IR35 though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
    Yea.......

Just sit down, twiddle thumbs, and pervy smile at everyone who looks at you............best way to get noticed and renewed..........

There are plenty of options, not all are available at every client and different approaches work at different clients. The above is a possibility... putting yourself inside IR35 isn't an option.. seriously..... Up to you to manage it.

Leave a comment:

• SeekingIT
    replied
    Your Right!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You mean all the things a permie would do? Great idea that.

Yea.......

Just sit down, twiddle thumbs, and pervy smile at everyone who looks at you............best way to get noticed and renewed..........

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by rurffy View Post
    Ok, few questions for you ..- Do you like what you are being paid ? Nice daily Rate ? good location? If the answer is Yes .

Then you have to improvise work for your self, i have been in a contract like that few years ago . A 4 months contract no work to do - i was nearly getting crazy Plus I couldn't go on the internet (Almost all good sites blocked (Like WTF!!)

Anyways , had to register for an online training - i got certified in 2 Microsoft techs at the end of the contract plus i was always interested in going to work to learn new things not from my contract but from my online learning.

It was like, i was being paid to learn. HAAHA! -
    No, it wasn't like being paid to learn. You were being paid to learn (assuming you did actually learn something).

Yeh but no but.

Leave a comment:

• rurffy
    replied
    Originally posted by North887 View Post
    Hi

This is my first post after securing my first contract role but I could do with advice.

The role im doing is pretty quiet, as in most of the time im really doing nothing at all. I ask around for stuff but it seems to getting on the nerves of everyone else, im the only contractor. Ive just been told its going to get even quieter and that i should be pro active and find stuff to do there.

However as a contractor I expected that this was the responsibility of the client not me, to find me stuff to do.

Thanks
    Ok, few questions for you ..- Do you like what you are being paid ? Nice daily Rate ? good location? If the answer is Yes .

Then you have to improvise work for your self, i have been in a contract like that few years ago . A 4 months contract no work to do - i was nearly getting crazy Plus I couldn't go on the internet (Almost all good sites blocked (Like WTF!!)

Anyways , had to register for an online training - i got certified in 2 Microsoft techs at the end of the contract plus i was always interested in going to work to learn new things not from my contract but from my online learning.

It was like, i was being paid to learn. HAAHA! -

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Isn't it about MOO, control etc? If I as a director of my company a supplier of services voluntarily decide to help the client out for free to help with my other business, isn't that a smart business move?
    I see that all the time with bigger consultancies, where they send him in for a specific project but he ends up helping a little bit on other things too - nobody minds that as long as they can keep charging the daily rate for whatever...
    I agree but there are limits. If that is what you set out to do with the correct mindset yes but bearing in mind option two of the original post I commented on was '2. Look on Company's Website- is there any training/applications they offer to staff, that you could learn about yourself?' then I would question that mindset.

You would go finding more work you can bill for, not end up on secondment to another group or being passed around budget holders as a general dogs body.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Anything is better than going round putting yourself inside IR35.........
    Isn't it about MOO, control etc? If I as a director of my company a supplier of services voluntarily decide to help the client out for free to help with my other business, isn't that a smart business move?
    I see that all the time with bigger consultancies, where they send him in for a specific project but he ends up helping a little bit on other things too - nobody minds that as long as they can keep charging the daily rate for whatever...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So u sugesting sitting there waiting for something to happen? Not that I totally disagree here mind.
    Anything is better than going round putting yourself inside IR35.........

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I always find that there is work to do that's project related; the client just doesn't realise it.

I have the 1st couple of days/week to understand what's (not) going on and create my Project Approach/Initiation Document/Target Operating Model etc - these always end up as my bible for the rest of the project. It's the only time that you're given the space to create them (while they don't know what to do with you...).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X