• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client expectations - first gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client expectations - first gig

Hi

This is my first post after securing my first contract role but I could do with advice.

The role im doing is pretty quiet, as in most of the time im really doing nothing at all. I ask around for stuff but it seems to getting on the nerves of everyone else, im the only contractor. Ive just been told its going to get even quieter and that i should be pro active and find stuff to do there.

However as a contractor I expected that this was the responsibility of the client not me, to find me stuff to do.

Thanks

Well that's the1st of many misunderstandings on your part then.

I suggest you find yourself something to do before they start wondering why they pay you...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But don't go asking for stuff to do as they may end up giving you something that isn't documented in your contract or work schedule or whatever it's called in your case. Doing extra work not contracted for clients is not good.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Loads of the time its like this. Sometimes I wonder why I'm there....

Also, even though it sounds good - its not. Does my head in when I've got nothing to do.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Loads of the time its like this. Sometimes I wonder why I'm there....

Also, even though it sounds good - its not. Does my head in when I've got nothing to do.
          To be fair, EVERYTHING does your head in.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Seek IT

Been there.....

Time to be proactive...

1. Look on Company's Website - is there anything you can learn about the Company, to prepare you for your work?
            2. Look on Company's Website- is there any training/applications they offer to staff, that you could learn about yourself?
            3. Look around, if they have various departments, go visit, introduce yourself, ask about some documentation, as mentioned you do not want the question - "what we paying him for" - this way you are seen to be doing stuff and taking an interest in the Company........

Take it from someone, who had two weeks of doing nothing.........needless to say..........NHS.........

Before anyone asks, invoices sent and paid..........

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              To be fair, EVERYTHING does your head in.
              Careful FAQQer - I'm a man on the edge...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
                Been there.....

Time to be proactive...

1. Look on Company's Website - is there anything you can learn about the Company, to prepare you for your work?
                2. Look on Company's Website- is there any training/applications they offer to staff, that you could learn about yourself?
                3. Look around, if they have various departments, go visit, introduce yourself, ask about some documentation, as mentioned you do not want the question - "what we paying him for" - this way you are seen to be doing stuff and taking an interest in the Company........

Take it from someone, who had two weeks of doing nothing.........needless to say..........NHS.........

Before anyone asks, invoices sent and paid..........
                You mean all the things a permie would do? Great idea that.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I once had an entire 6 month period where I was on the internet 100% of the time and expected to not see another extension.

Then, my client manager walked up to me with another extension. However, the contract ran a total 5 1/2 years. They knew they could rely on my work when they really needed it - really the key in long-term contract continuity.

Many contracts do start slowly. Make friends, pursue technical discussions with the permies ( so they will see your worth and make an effort to draw you into a project they are working on ).

Above all, make every effort to keep the man signing your timesheet on your side.

Comment

I bet they were in a rush to get you in as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X