• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "3 Interviews then silence........."

Collapse

• lukemg
    replied
    We might wish it was different but it isnt and it wont change.
    First - Forget feedback - most clients don't give more than I want them, these are a no, end of.
    Second - First time an agent tries to give candidate feedback, they didn't like this or that and gets a big argument back, they decide NEVER to bother again and if pressed they go with, really liked you, another chap just had a bit more experience, worked there before blah blah.
    You will drive yourself mad unless you can roll with this and play the game.

Leave a comment:

• Scoi
    replied
    I've noticed a major change in agency attitude in the last year. At the start there was a lot on the bench and a handful of roles, i went out to every agency on oilcareers and had to follow up with all but 2 of them. No agent would call me to update me on the roles i was a perfect fit for.

Now its a contractors market I get 2 calls a week and loads of linkedin stalkers, everyone's my 'mate', persuading me to cut current contract short as they can easily get me better rates.

Agents obviously have to spend their time the way they see fit but the ones who ignored me at the start of the year are way down the list when it comes to a new gig but i'd never turn an agent away for no feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by BS1397 View Post
    Sorry but I can't tolerate the bad manners and lack of basic courtesy.
    Are you sure you're cut out to be a contractor?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I disagree. Fair enough, you don't expect feedback from every CV you send out, but I do expect the courtesy of a simple "yes" or "no" from an interview I've spent my time attending. Any agency or client that doesn't observe that small courtesy isn't someone I'd entertain interviewing with/through again.
    You might think it's impolite or even unprofessional - in fact I'd agree with you - but disagreeing this is normal would seem to fly in the face of fact.

How many agencies are on your 'no' list from pursuing this policy? And what do you say/do when one of them phones you up to discuss a role?

Also... 3 interviews?!
    Last edited by d000hg; 17 October 2012, 20:46.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Agents have always presented multiple candidates given the chance.

Leave a comment:

• stevejohnson
    replied
    Agents are abusing the market presently having multiple candidates. Best is to push towards your own marketing and sales.

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Unfortunatley this is the modern world , I have lost count the amount of times i have asked for feedback and just been ignored.
    people have no manners end of.

Leave a comment:

• BS1397
    replied
    Sorry but I can't tolerate the bad manners and lack of basic courtesy. It takes time, effort, logistics and costs to attend interviews (sometime two) and/or take technical exams at the Agency or Client sites which are often arranged at short notice or on inconvenient dates, only to hear nothing afterwards, not even a one line email "Well done" or "Better luck next time".

To add insult to injury, Sometimes a polite follow up email inquiry returns a "Deleted Unopened Message" receipt. Just as well not all are so nasty as I have had equally very helpful suggestions and tips towards the next interview or CV revamp from the professional side of the industry.

Sadly the change has come about because we rarely see IT professionals switching to recruitment as in the old days, instead we now have a "Stack them high Sell them cheap" market that attracts ... Well you decide.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Often it's not rudeness, they simply want to keep you hanging on. Bear in mind that if you are 2nd or 3rd choice, the agent has to make the 1st choice an offer (may not be the same agent as yours), then it has to be accepted, it all takes time. How many times do we see posted here 'Had the int, got the gig, haven't got the contract through 2 weeks later and I'm sposed to start tomorrow'?
    WTS

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Often it's not rudeness, they simply want to keep you hanging on. Bear in mind that if you are 2nd or 3rd choice, the agent has to make the 1st choice an offer (may not be the same agent as yours), then it has to be accepted, it all takes time. How many times do we see posted here 'Had the int, got the gig, haven't got the contract through 2 weeks later and I'm sposed to start tomorrow'?

If you are second, the agent wants to keep you hanging on so says nothing or claims they've had no feedback yet, because often, the first choice may have upped sticks and taken something else and they want you waiting there.

Happened to me before and a month later, out of the blue comes a call, 'Are you still available?' When I got there, I found that first choice had been tried and found wanting so they replaced them with me.

I suggest that you don't give it up, just put it to the back of your mind as a possible and then forget it. Get a few more lined up and go from there.

Feedback is overrated anyway, they will rarely tell you the real reasons for refusal because they don't want a point blank argument, they don't want to offend, they don't want to risk being sued and any number of other reasons.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by sunflower View Post
    If you do not hear for a while about the role and your interviews went well, it may be that the end client has not responded and takes time to do so. In some cases, customers have to get things signed off and have lots of red tape. However, your agent should respond with a progress update and give you more details on when you can expect an answer.
    Yeh but if the agent thinks this is the case and you may get the gig they will update you. If they dont even phone you back ever its because they know you aint got it.

If theres a delay with the client, but agent thinks you've got a shout, you can guarantee they'll contact you to tell you its looking good and its going to be sorted asap. Even if its not.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    Still pretty bad though in my opinion.

My experience was that you always got some feedback from an interview even if it was negative, recently though, it does seem to be that the silent treatment is the norm these days. I think that it is downright rude and uprofessional to not provide feedback especially when you may have forgone a day's income and travelled for some distance. Contrary to what most might think, my recent experience has shown that it is more the client (a certain large bank in particular) rather than the agent that is guilty of this.
    Agree

I disagree. Fair enough, you don't expect feedback from every CV you send out, but I do expect the courtesy of a simple "yes" or "no" from an interview I've spent my time attending. Any agency or client that doesn't observe that small courtesy isn't someone I'd entertain interviewing with/through again.
    Agree

That's what gives agents bad reputations - well one of many reasons anyway...

Leave a comment:

• sunflower
    replied
    If you do not hear for a while about the role and your interviews went well, it may be that the end client has not responded and takes time to do so. In some cases, customers have to get things signed off and have lots of red tape. However, your agent should respond with a progress update and give you more details on when you can expect an answer.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    He got a no... Actions speak louder than words as they say... Couldn't be much clearer

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    In an ideal world, yes, and its nice to expect that and probably fair. Will it happen though? Unlikely.

Trouble is its not just the odd agent/client who may do this. Its about 95% of them.

To be honest, I dont waste my time more than once. Usually find its like getting blood out of stone. You phone agent, hes away from desk (surprise surprise!) so you leave a message. He never phones you back for previous reasons. You do it again. Waste of time.

Unfortunately, if I only dealt with agents/clients who acted professionally then I'd be severely restricting my options. Would be nice to be choosy but I'm not that good! :-)

On the other hand, there is one agency, intapeople in cardiff, that is very good. Not like the others at all. They pretty much always phone back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X