• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Opt out of Conduct of employment agencies 2003 act?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

I’ve never met with anyone at client
    Introduced doesn't necessarily mean meeting. It could be argued it's being presented to them via CV. The client knowing who you are could be enough.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Before or after being introduced to the client?
    I’ve never met with anyone at client

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Now being asked by one agency to opt out of 2003 regs for Inside work ("because the client has asked that we don't put anyone forward who hasn't so that they don't start demanding employee rights") - is this a thing anyone's encountered?

Or is agency just trying to make sure they're don't have a duty to pay contractors and have restrictive covenants etc. as before?
    Before or after being introduced to the client?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Now being asked by one agency to opt out of 2003 regs for Inside work ("because the client has asked that we don't put anyone forward who hasn't so that they don't start demanding employee rights") - is this a thing anyone's encountered?

Or is agency just trying to make sure they're don't have a duty to pay contractors and have restrictive covenants etc. as before?
    It doesn't make any sense for them to ask you to do that that as you are controlled by the end client otherwise you wouldn't be working inside IR35.

It only makes sense for the umbrella or the agency side who are doing your pay roll to sign it.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Another agency trying to force me to opt -out, I haven't opted out for the last 10 years and they claim (like all agencies) they never had a contractor who did not want to opt-out, to which I said I don't believe you, they even wrote this in the contract:

If the company contractor and its consultant do not opt out of the Conduct Regulations, this may be deemed to compromise their tax status under
    IR35, i.e. it may increase the chances of an assignment falling within IR35. This is for the following reasons:
    o the Conduct Regulations provide quasi-employment protection to contractors; and
    o the Conduct Regulations state that the services provided by are to find assignments where the contractor acts for
    and "under the control" of the client. The concept of "control" is an employment indicator. When assessing whether or not an assignment
    falls within IR35, HM Revenue & Customs looks for employment indicators.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

That gibberish is in the contract?
    Yes I found it quite unbelievable as well

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Another agency trying to force me to opt -out, I haven't opted out for the last 10 years and they claim (like all agencies) they never had a contractor who did not want to opt-out, to which I said I don't believe you, they even wrote this in the contract:

If the company contractor and its consultant do not opt out of the Conduct Regulations, this may be deemed to compromise their tax status under
    IR35, i.e. it may increase the chances of an assignment falling within IR35. This is for the following reasons:
    o the Conduct Regulations provide quasi-employment protection to contractors; and
    o the Conduct Regulations state that the services provided by are to find assignments where the contractor acts for
    and "under the control" of the client. The concept of "control" is an employment indicator. When assessing whether or not an assignment
    That gibberish is in the contract?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

o the Conduct Regulations state that the services provided by <ABC Agency> are to find assignments where the contractor acts for

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    The opt out was designed to add financial risk to show you were utterly outside(WTT today referenced it as a 4th pillar in determining status but i wouldn’t go that far)

however for an inside contract you (and sane umbrellas) would prefer that agencies had to pay even if the end client doesn’t

so my advice would be to not opt out (oh I can see an argument coming when people discover what’s about to happen)

I excluded the out-out form.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The opt out was designed to add financial risk to show you were utterly outside(WTT today referenced it as a 4th pillar in determining status but i wouldn’t go that far)

however for an inside contract you (and sane umbrellas) would prefer that agencies had to pay even if the end client doesn’t

so my advice would be to not opt out (oh I can see an argument coming when people discover what’s about to happen)

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    wow 660 replies.

Just going through documents from agency for an inside IR35 contract and came across the out out document to either sign or disregard. Agency handles (I think) all employment by the client so unlikely they will do something the client is not aware of or instigated.

Just gone through the last 10 pages and I am still confused.

In summary, Don't sign opt-out form and see if agency tries to force me?

Last edited by css_jay99; 29 April 2022, 19:02.

Leave a comment:

• MrC
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Like I said, the agency has f*** all idea of the laws that govern their business.
    You are not wrong. When i spoke to their "compliance manager" on the phone they said that this act was all to do with a marketing/GDPR type opt out. Unbelievable!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by MrC View Post

Well, this is what the agency seem to be attempting via the contract and it's on their payroll. I wonder if this clause is a copy-paste hangover from old outisde IR35 contracts.
    Like I said, the agency has f*** all idea of the laws that govern their business.

Leave a comment:

• MrC
    replied

You can't opt out if you are on agency payroll - a third party is required within the contractual relationship for an opt out to be legally offered.
    Well, this is what the agency seem to be attempting via the contract and it's on their payroll. I wonder if this clause is a copy-paste hangover from old outisde IR35 contracts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X