• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV Writing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Writing"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Is that your plan C?
    Work hard for free. Probably

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm sure they will review it for free. It's how much they'll charge to give you any feedback
    Is that your plan C?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post
    Thanks especially to northernladuk who has taken his own time to help me get my CV in a lot better shape. Its until things like this happen that you sometimes forget the real value in forums like this one!.
    What he doesn't know is those aren't full stops on the pages. They are reams of text that is super super small.

If an agent does a keyword search for 'I'm a cockwomble' he's going to get 2,500 results

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    not so long ago...

agent A rings, discuss potential role, usual stuff, to cut a long story short they refused to put my CV forward due to trivial presentation fluff (that I really couldnt be bothered with, and didnt really agree with), so parted ways as amicably as I could

agent B rings the next day, same role, puts my CV forward very happy with it, hiring manager wants to speak to me straight away, hiring manager goes out of his way to say he likes the CV and its presentation

when I get to know hiring manager he is openly critical of agent A, the shortlist they provided, and so on

there is a story there somewhere

Yeah. Managers resist changing, even when the supplier is NBG...

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    not so long ago...

agent A rings, discuss potential role, usual stuff, to cut a long story short they refused to put my CV forward due to trivial presentation fluff (that I really couldnt be bothered with, and didnt really agree with), so parted ways as amicably as I could

agent B rings the next day, same role, puts my CV forward very happy with it, hiring manager wants to speak to me straight away, hiring manager goes out of his way to say he likes the CV and its presentation

when I get to know hiring manager he is openly critical of agent A, the shortlist they provided, and so on

there is a story there somewhere

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the feedback to my query they last few days. I've been lucky over the past 15 years to basically fall into contract after contract through my network pretty much without breaks in that time. Things seem to be a bit different this time though so my CV is gettings its first proper test of the market.

Thanks especially to northernladuk who has taken his own time to help me get my CV in a lot better shape. Its until things like this happen that you sometimes forget the real value in forums like this one!

With my newly update CV I'm going to tackle the open market with the what seem to be the rest of the world at the moment. So hoping something comes up and if not I may just part with some of the war chest to cover all my bases.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    I use a 3 page PowerPoint, works wonders couldn't help it IGMC
    I use a 10 page CV that's never let me down glossing over the fact I've been at Jaguar Landrover as a contractor for over 25 years

(I can't remember the poster this is quoted from but most of us will remember him. Something to do with bike?)

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    I use a 3 page PowerPoint, works wonders couldn't help it IGMC

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    I have never used a CV coach or writing service. What I did was to quiz each and every one of the agents I spoke to to gain their feedback, and adapt if I was inspired by their responses.

Over the course of time, I had something that most, not quite all, said was perfect. Indeed I used the same techniques to then help others do their CVs in professions not in the slightest connected to mine. And they got jobs as a result, and the feedback I received ref the CVs from the friends, from their new employers, was very positive.

Fast forward to today, I am getting no response from no one, nowhere (double -tives intentional) And that is due to many of us on sitting the bench combined with current day requirements for Security / SC / Banking / Insurance / M&A / Azure etc. of which I have none.

So, before you get plugged into a CV writing company, first assess whether your CV worked fine in the past, and assess current economy. And then really, the advice above is good enough to commence with without depleting your war chest. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I haven't got near anything off Jobserve in years. Any role advertised on there gets 100s of applicants, most of which can't do the job, and it is luck of the draw if your CV even gets noticed, regardless of how good or bad it might be.

Obviously different if going through your network but if you have a relationship with your agent and they are backing you for a role they will advise what to do with your CV.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post

My view i that it is not as simple as "it's the market". Yes, the current market will have a bearing on the lack of success, but I see the bigger issue being the over use of poorly configured ATS: one's CV is VERY unlikely to be seen by a human if it does not pass ATS.

Literally hundreds of CV are being fired off for pretty much every role, fed into the mincer that is ATS, and tiny percentage make it in front of an agent... let alone a client.

Tailoring CVs is becoming more important, but even that won't help if the key words/configuration being put in place by the grunts in HR is rubbish.
    Agreed but I did say the main issue, not the only one and in the very next paragraph I start off saying nothing wrong with a CV check. You've taken one line out of context to make a point when all the stuff you say is covered in the very next paragraph.

I still stand by the fact the most difficult issue we have is lack of roles, I've encountered it and there was a week long discussion in the market thread where everyone else said they'd seen exactly the same so it is a hard fact the market is pants. But yes you are right, in a hard market you've got to step your game up to make sure your CV and other elements of role hunting are absolutely on point. More so now, than ever, you have to be absolutely on point to make sure you nail the few gigs that come up.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The main problem is the market. It is common to fire off a ton of CV's and get nothing back...
    My view i that it is not as simple as "it's the market". Yes, the current market will have a bearing on the lack of success, but I see the bigger issue being the over use of poorly configured ATS: one's CV is VERY unlikely to be seen by a human if it does not pass ATS.

Literally hundreds of CV are being fired off for pretty much every role, fed into the mincer that is ATS, and tiny percentage make it in front of an agent... let alone a client.

Tailoring CVs is becoming more important, but even that won't help if the key words/configuration being put in place by the grunts in HR is rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    I think the cv partners here offer a free cv review of that helps

https://www.contractoruk.com/cv/why_..._reviewed.html
    I'm sure they will review it for free. It's how much they'll charge to give you any feedback

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    I think the cv partners here offer a free cv review of that helps

https://www.contractoruk.com/cv/why_..._reviewed.html

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    Originally posted by sreed View Post

I hired someone on Fiverr (most of the highly-rated UK-centric ones are ex recruitment consultants so you can look them up on LinkedIn to gauge how much experience they have in your particular field) cost about £100 or so and a couple of days.

They didn’t do anything magical but they were really helpful in getting a bloated CV down to an easily/quickly reviewable one tailored to an FS PM role. I used that to trim and align my LinkedIn profile as well.

I definitely had better/more responses to the new version so imho it was worth the effort as long as you aren’t expecting anything outlandish.
    Just checking Fiverr now. Don't suppose you have the name of the person you used? It would be good to get someone with a recomendation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X