• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Training up your replacement"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
    Yay Jason/Neo is back!
    Nearly. Looks like it was a Gricer incarnation not Neo/Jason.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesCooperLiverpool View Post

Ive disabled preductive text as I frequently type in other languages and the autocorrect to English drives me mad! I saw there were typos and I did try to correct but it wouldn't let me - perhaps because the post hadnt been aporoved?
    There were 14 errors out of 88 words. Maybe try correct on the fly or proof read before you hit enter?

Leave a comment:

• JamesCooperLiverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post

It happens. Maybe they wouldn't be looking to replace you if you hadn't taken the p*ss billing for doing no work in the first 3 weeks, who knows.

I think you need a new keyboard though
    Ive disabled preductive text as I frequently type in other languages and the autocorrect to English drives me mad! I saw there were typos and I did try to correct but it wouldn't let me - perhaps because the post hadnt been aporoved?

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Yay Jason/Neo is back!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

The OP said training up. Probably getting into schematics but training and handover are two different things to me.
    He also says 'handing over', or I think he does, in the last line. Can't really take any points as given with that awful mess though.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Skills is not the same as knowledge. It's likely they have got people with the right skills if they've engaged a consultancy properly. What they will lack is knowledge.
    The OP said training up. Probably getting into schematics but training and handover are two different things to me.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    To be honest, any competent consultancy will be the lead on this kind of work, and they should be asking the relevant questions, not you teaching them what they need to know.

So cooperate, answer their questions but don't fret about not being particularly proactive. Its not your project and while we all get invested in big projects, we are not actually an inherent component, we are merely a delivery mechanism.

I left one when it was 95% done to universal praise from the client, when they had to find a job for one of their guys. It happens.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Yeah, post formatting aside, there is quite a difference between the subject of the post, "Training up your replacement" (not a chance!), and doing a handover (professional).

Talk them through the meat of your project work (dev: the code, tester: the test plans, PM: the project plans), show them where stuff lives (jira, source control, wikis, servers), demo anything that can be demoed.

I would also make sure relevant people are aware of what meetings/topics you have scheduled/done, who attended etc.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Anyone been through this demoralising process?

I work for a major hospitality clent, in the middke of a huge priject on which I have a lot of ownership but just been told that, despite all tge outstanding work, tgey have to look at budgets abd I wont be renewed. Un tge meantime tget are drafting in a consuktancy called Epam to replace all the contractors and please can you spend your last month handing over all tge hard work yiuve done over tge last 12 montgs. Im guttrd
    It happens. Maybe they wouldn't be looking to replace you if you hadn't taken the p*ss billing for doing no work in the first 3 weeks, who knows.

I think you need a new keyboard though

3 weeks on this one. It's great when you'rr 100% WFH as atvleastbyou don't have to sit around twiddling your thumbs trying to look busy

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I do a handover, i.e. make them aware of outstanding work and any internal processes relevant to the project, but don't train people up. They should be recruiting people with the correct skills to start with.
    Skills is not the same as knowledge. It's likely they have got people with the right skills if they've engaged a consultancy properly. What they will lack is knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I do a handover, i.e. make them aware of outstanding work and any internal processes relevant to the project, but don't train people up. They should be recruiting people with the correct skills to start with.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    How are we supposed to take you sersiously with that pile of excrement.

Contracts come to an end, it's what we do. Suck it up buttercup.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    You are a sockie?

Even if you aren't, learning to write coherent sentences may help. I'd terminate your contract just for your post and lack of intelligibility. Call yourself a contractor?

Leave a comment:

• JamesCooperLiverpool
    started a topic Training up your replacement

Training up your replacement

Anyone been through this demoralising process?

I work for a major hospitality clent, in the middke of a huge priject on which I have a lot of ownership but just been told that, despite all tge outstanding work, tgey have to look at budgets abd I wont be renewed. Un tge meantime tget are drafting in a consuktancy called Epam to replace all the contractors and please can you spend your last month handing over all tge hard work yiuve done over tge last 12 montgs. Im guttrd

Working...
X