• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training up your replacement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training up your replacement

Anyone been through this demoralising process?

I work for a major hospitality clent, in the middke of a huge priject on which I have a lot of ownership but just been told that, despite all tge outstanding work, tgey have to look at budgets abd I wont be renewed. Un tge meantime tget are drafting in a consuktancy called Epam to replace all the contractors and please can you spend your last month handing over all tge hard work yiuve done over tge last 12 montgs. Im guttrd

You are a sockie?

Even if you aren't, learning to write coherent sentences may help. I'd terminate your contract just for your post and lack of intelligibility. Call yourself a contractor?

Comment

How are we supposed to take you sersiously with that pile of excrement.

Contracts come to an end, it's what we do. Suck it up buttercup.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I do a handover, i.e. make them aware of outstanding work and any internal processes relevant to the project, but don't train people up. They should be recruiting people with the correct skills to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          I do a handover, i.e. make them aware of outstanding work and any internal processes relevant to the project, but don't train people up. They should be recruiting people with the correct skills to start with.
          Skills is not the same as knowledge. It's likely they have got people with the right skills if they've engaged a consultancy properly. What they will lack is knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCooperLiverpool View Post
            Anyone been through this demoralising process?

I work for a major hospitality clent, in the middke of a huge priject on which I have a lot of ownership but just been told that, despite all tge outstanding work, tgey have to look at budgets abd I wont be renewed. Un tge meantime tget are drafting in a consuktancy called Epam to replace all the contractors and please can you spend your last month handing over all tge hard work yiuve done over tge last 12 montgs. Im guttrd
            It happens. Maybe they wouldn't be looking to replace you if you hadn't taken the p*ss billing for doing no work in the first 3 weeks, who knows.

I think you need a new keyboard though

Originally posted by JamesCooperLiverpool View Post
            3 weeks on this one. It's great when you'rr 100% WFH as atvleastbyou don't have to sit around twiddling your thumbs trying to look busy

Comment

Yeah, post formatting aside, there is quite a difference between the subject of the post, "Training up your replacement" (not a chance!), and doing a handover (professional).

Talk them through the meat of your project work (dev: the code, tester: the test plans, PM: the project plans), show them where stuff lives (jira, source control, wikis, servers), demo anything that can be demoed.

I would also make sure relevant people are aware of what meetings/topics you have scheduled/done, who attended etc.

Comment

To be honest, any competent consultancy will be the lead on this kind of work, and they should be asking the relevant questions, not you teaching them what they need to know.

So cooperate, answer their questions but don't fret about not being particularly proactive. Its not your project and while we all get invested in big projects, we are not actually an inherent component, we are merely a delivery mechanism.

I left one when it was 95% done to universal praise from the client, when they had to find a job for one of their guys. It happens.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Skills is not the same as knowledge. It's likely they have got people with the right skills if they've engaged a consultancy properly. What they will lack is knowledge.
                  The OP said training up. Probably getting into schematics but training and handover are two different things to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

The OP said training up. Probably getting into schematics but training and handover are two different things to me.
                    He also says 'handing over', or I think he does, in the last line. Can't really take any points as given with that awful mess though.

Comment

Working...
                    X