• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working with UI Designers"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The personal snipes aren't particularly helpful.
    It's a serious point (partly). Whenever one person says "X is being awkward" it's likely the other person is saying the same about you. If you always find designers difficult, there's a common denominator - not that you are necessarily a jerk but that you might not know the best way to interact with designers. It's a skill in itself.
    But if someone (not the OP) is always complaining "everyone else is difficult to work with" that's a bit of a red flag.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The personal snipes aren't particularly helpful.

I think the gist of this is that there are always going to be difficult people and the key is communication and engagement, understanding what is being asked and identifying options for delivery.

Yes, it's frustrating to have to deal with someone who doesn't get why that line can't be moved under that button. You know the level of effort required to achieve that change and the designer knows what benefit the end user will have from you making the change. If you cannot compromise then you need to present the facts, without the rhetoric, to the decision maker and let them decide what's more important to the project.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Baddish View Post

I can tell you now I am only pointing put that simple task is not a simple task and I have often seen this reaction in designers. See my post immediately above this one please.
    Are you sure they're the rude, difficult one?

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied

Thankyou for your recommendation
    * We can face them and handle well"

See my previous suggestion Baddish. It's not personal in the office, it's business. You are taking it too personal.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

well I think it's fair to say in the company in which I work for like seems to attract like.
    That's a good bit of self-reflection there.

Maybe you need to bring in a "cloud solutions expert" to help you?

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

It sounds more likely to me that you're the one with the bad attitude, perhaps based on happenstance and prejudice. Evidence for the prosecution:

Yes, Baddish, all designers are very rude.
    well I think it's fair to say in the company in which I work for like seems to attract like.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Worthless in your view but I am experiencing bad attitudes from someone because I am raising technical issues in a polite and professional manner about why it is not technically recommendable to implement certain changes.

I have never had any negative comments about my communication skills in a corporate environment and I have always maneged to produce codes of a high quality so I think you are basing your preconceptions on pure happenstance and prejudice.
    It sounds more likely to me that you're the one with the bad attitude, perhaps based on happenstance and prejudice. Evidence for the prosecution:

She is also very rude. Is this common feature of designers in general?
    Yes, Baddish, all designers are very rude.

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

After reflection, To give you, OP, the benefit of the doubt, let me recommend another book other than the Phoenix Project book.
    I would invest in Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When The Stakes Are High
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Con...dp/1260474186/

"In truth, when we face crucial conversations, we can do one of three things:

* We can avoid them
    * We can face them and handle them poorly
    * We can face tham and handle well"

"When stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions start to run strong, casual conversations become crucial"

(I have it and read it on Kindle BTW)
    Thankyou for your recommendation

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied

How would I know you're Asian?

I am judging you by your worthless, complaining posts, poor communication skills and slight whiff of misogynism.

HTH.

Is this thread going as you'd hoped?
    Worthless in your view but I am experiencing bad attitudes from someone because I am raising technical issues in a polite and professional manner about why it is not technically recommendable to implement certain changes.

I have never had any negative comments about my communication skills in a corporate environment and I have always maneged to produce codes of a high quality so I think you are basing your preconceptions on pure happenstance and prejudice.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Too bad your communication and collaboration skills leave a lot to be desired.

Expert developer, expert moaner, newbie in everything else. Must be nice working with you
    After reflection, To give you, OP, the benefit of the doubt, let me recommend another book other than the Phoenix Project book.
    I would invest in Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When The Stakes Are High
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Con...dp/1260474186/

"In truth, when we face crucial conversations, we can do one of three things:

* We can avoid them
    * We can face them and handle them poorly
    * We can face tham and handle them well"

"When stakes are high, opinions vary, and emotions start to run strong, casual conversations become crucial"

(I have it and read it on Kindle BTW)
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 29 June 2022, 20:54.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Yes, you see an Asian man who doesn't have English as his first language and becuase I refer to somebody as woman (yes, I say sometimes this woman or that man, it's equal) you conflate this with me being misogynist. I have a similar theory about you; I think you're racist, sir.

And also for your information, I am a skilled JS frameworks architect as well as being a cloud solutions expert so I am more than is capable to perform my work in a coroporate environment.
    How would I know you're Asian?

I am judging you by your worthless, complaining posts, poor communication skills and slight whiff of misogynism.

HTH.

Is this thread going as you'd hoped?

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    And also for your information, I am a skilled JS frameworks architect as well as being a cloud solutions expert so I am more than is capable to perform my work in a coroporate environment.
    Too bad your communication and collaboration skills leave a lot to be desired.

Expert developer, expert moaner, newbie in everything else. Must be nice working with you

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied

They probably aren't imagined but, either way, you have a bad attitude and poor communication skills, as far as I can tell. I would like to see the parallel thread to this where the experienced UI designer ask about how to deal with a problematic dev who doesn't want to (or cannot) do their job properly.
    Yes, you see an Asian man who doesn't have English as his first language and becuase I refer to somebody as woman (yes, I say sometimes this woman or that man, it's equal) you conflate this with me being misogynist. I have a similar theory about you; I think you're racist, sir.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

English is not my first language as I have alaready made clear elsewhere. Your other accusations about women are imagined.
    They probably aren't imagined but, either way, you have a bad attitude and poor communication skills, as far as I can tell. I would like to see the parallel thread to this where the experienced UI designer ask about how to deal with a problematic dev who doesn't want to (or cannot) do their job properly.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Get the Pheonix Project and read it again and read it again until you understand that "the business" (any business) values efficiency, throughput and sales (and also potential cost savings).

Phoenix.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X