• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you took a BBL are you repaying it?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post
    How exactly was it off-topic?
    Because the topic is are you repaying the BBL and not the legitimacy of taking it I expect
    Exactly this.

Furthermore, acrimonious debates are not encouraged in the professional forums. If I'd had the option, I'd have just moved your posts. But at the moment that functionality is not working - so your deathless prose is now lost to posterity. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Absolute joke. I knew you'd turn up to prune.

Because the topic is are you repaying the BBL and not the legitimacy of taking it I expect

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Off topic posts + responses removed. If you want to claim that any contractors claiming this lack integrity, then in the General forum please.

Absolute joke. I knew you'd turn up to prune.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I entirely legitimately took out a loan during an extreme lean period and fully intend to pay it back.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Off topic posts + responses removed. If you want to claim that any contractors claiming this lack integrity, then in the General forum please.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Whataboutery at its finest. Please hand yourself in to your nearest cop-shop for your flagrant and shameless fraudulent activity.
    It's a fair cop. Guilty as charged m'lud

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    If you want to pick on people commiting fraud just look at those companies that took it, put staff on furlough, made them work and came out of it all much better off. Much bigger fish to fry.
    Whataboutery at its finest. Please hand yourself in to your nearest cop-shop for your flagrant and shameless fraudulent activity.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It doesn't really matter if you agree. It was specifically offered for companies affected by CV, in fact I'm pretty sure you had to state this was the case when applying for the loan. It's called BBL for a reason - it's to help you bounce back. It wasn't called the "I might need to bounce back later loan". Whether the loan is still available when you later run into problems is immaterial. It's certainly really poor business to fraudulently take a loan on the basis "I am not eligible now but I want to make sure I don't miss out on the free cash later".
    We could carry on but it's pointless arguing the semantics. It really is neither here nor there. IMO we were all affected as the bottom dropped out of the market and many people were facing very tough conditions. Was the box 'adversely affected by covid' ticked a bit friviously with an eye on the potential fall out coming? Maybe so but jesus, to call that fraud is a very long call.

And so what if people accepted it on a bounce back later loan. It's still business and it was still a good call. Most of us on here ticked it in good faith IMO. I didn't actually need it thankfully and it will be paid back in full. Do I feel I've fraudulently got a loan? Do I buggery. Thankfully I have indeed ended up falling in to the catagory 'it was a free loan' but it could well just have been needed.

If you want to pick on people commiting fraud just look at those companies that took it, put staff on furlough, made them work and came out of it all much better off. Much bigger fish to fry.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 October 2021, 14:41.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Agree with d000hg on this one, although I'll add that they were keen for high uptake and it's probably a low bar to demonstrate impact (e.g., out of contract but not really looking, in contract but reduced time/deliverables etc.) - it wouldn't be hard to spin it. Still, d000hg is absolutely correct that it was intended for businesses that were impacted by CV19 and you had to self-certify that along with a few other things (e.g., not a "business in difficulty" at the end of CY19).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I don't agree at all. What business waits till it's in the crap before taking offers of help. We had a global pandemic going on and the world was turning to rat tulip. What business doesn't take help when it's offered that they may need in what, the next 6, 12 24 month? We had absolutely no idea what was going to happen. We wait until the money dried up, scheme wasn't available, business down the pan and then apply? That's really poor business.
    It doesn't really matter if you agree. It was specifically offered for companies affected by CV, in fact I'm pretty sure you had to state this was the case when applying for the loan. It's called BBL for a reason - it's to help you bounce back. It wasn't called the "I might need to bounce back later loan". Whether the loan is still available when you later run into problems is immaterial. It's certainly really poor business to fraudulently take a loan on the basis "I am not eligible now but I want to make sure I don't miss out on the free cash later".

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    People just took it just because they could or through some fear of missing out, then?

So many people on here with double standards and no scruples.

What do you expect - this is a contractor forum

I know several contractors who furious they had to dip into their war chest during the pandemic despite justifying the last couple of decades of pathological tax 'efficiency' accumulating it for just this purpose.
    Last edited by TheDude; 5 October 2021, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

WTAF are you talking about?

What double standards and why does borrowing money on the off chance you need it mean no scruples?
    He's just trolling. No one is that daft.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 October 2021, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    To answer the question though: BBLs were for people who WERE affected by CV not those who thought they might be at some later date - an emergency measure. So the argument lots of people just took a free loan has some weight.
    I don't agree at all. What business waits till it's in the crap before taking offers of help. We had a global pandemic going on and the world was turning to rat tulip. What business doesn't take help when it's offered that they may need in what, the next 6, 12 24 month? We had absolutely no idea what was going to happen. We wait until the money dried up, scheme wasn't available, business down the pan and then apply? That's really poor business.

It's there to help and there was an extremely strong chance business could be affected, and it was. There is no denying the evidence. We were affected, clients were letting contractors go left right and centre. You saw the posts on here. Taking them up on the offer of free loan which will be paid back to protect your livelyhood in the world worst pandemic to date is good business.

It's the business's money anyway, so what is the benefit to most? Free loan we can't spend because it's in the business?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

What double standards and why does borrowing money on the off chance you need it mean no scruples?
    You have it backwards. Who is pretending to have standards and scruples on CUK.
    To answer the question though: BBLs were for people who WERE affected by CV not those who thought they might be at some later date - an emergency measure. So the argument lots of people just took a free loan has some weight.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    People just took it just because they could or through some fear of missing out, then?

So many people on here with double standards and no scruples.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X