• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What are the main things that will attract you to your next contract role?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Finally, somewhere in your client's rule book will be something dreamed up by Human Remains to stop managers bringing in their mates. That is why they use agencies and other off-line sources rather than framing a decent requirement and inviting offers. Move the job of bringing in contractors to Procurement, treat them as suppliers and see what happens...
    Absolutely this.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

I perhaps should have phrased my question slightly differently...

The client already does most of the things highlighted in the post above. Until recently all contractors went through an IR35 assessment with QDOS, unfortunately now it's CEST . All the outside IR35 contractors have detailed statements of work or work packages and so on.

The main challenge seems to be two fold. One, is that the rates they can offer aren't quite competitive enough (the rates are slightly on the low side compared to other parts of the public sector). Second, they have a single source supplier arrangement which has recently changed suppliers. In the last couple of years it's been noticeable that contractors that are brought in via personal connections of existing permies or contractors seem to be consistently better than ones via an agency.

So my question is really how to attract good contractor candidates when there isn't the option of higher day rates? Not everyone is solely motivated by day rate and they have several contractors who could clearly earn significantly higher day rates elsewhere but enjoy working at the client. The client culture seems to be a big factor in this from what they tell me, I was interested to hear other people's views.

Hope that clarifies?

I think you answered your own question...

The things I listed in my earlier, slightly joking post are actually a lot of the answer. As for finding and retaining the best candidates, the trick is, as you have hinted, to go by personal recommendation and in-house recruitment for specific talents. Rates matter less than quality to most serious contractors after all.

Above all, get away from recruitment agencies. For any thing other than the tech equivalent of the girl form Office Angels, almost all are hopeless at finding people, being far more interested in quick return on advertising effort, minimum up-front costs and maximising their margin; the agent's pay is totally dependent on how much cash they bring in to the business and they have zero interest in the candidate other than as a cash cow.

Finally, somewhere in your client's rule book will be something dreamed up by Human Remains to stop managers bringing in their mates. That is why they use agencies and other off-line sources rather than framing a decent requirement and inviting offers. Move the job of bringing in contractors to Procurement, treat them as suppliers and see what happens...

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Darren_Test and I agree that it's the car parking.
    LOL, in my last permie job many years ago, this was actually a big thing.

Only senior management staff had a permanent right to use the underground car park as there were only enough spaces for about 10-15% of staff. Everyone else had to park about 5 mins away. Every quarter there would be a staff lottery to win the chance to be in the car park under the office!

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Retaining in what way? Make sure they stick around to complete a project or encourage them to take more and more extensions to work on other stuff they think up?
    It's a bit of both.

The amount of IT work the client has is expanding significantly with some big transformation programmes and lots of other projects. There are usually multiple projects in most business areas so if a person is a good fit, then yes, there are likely to be extensions available for future projects.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Specific things I'd look for in my next contract is a client that isn't trying to attract, recruit and retain me

You need to point out to your client they are applying the wrong framework to the wrong people. If they want to get the best contractors then focus on the supplier engagement process, produce requirements for set pieces of work and engage quality contractors in solid outside IR35 contracts. The points you made will have the opposite affect by treating contractors like employees and so set a mindset that contractors are inside.
    I perhaps should have phrased my question slightly differently...

The client already does most of the things highlighted in the post above. Until recently all contractors went through an IR35 assessment with QDOS, unfortunately now it's CEST . All the outside IR35 contractors have detailed statements of work or work packages and so on.

The main challenge seems to be two fold. One, is that the rates they can offer aren't quite competitive enough (the rates are slightly on the low side compared to other parts of the public sector). Second, they have a single source supplier arrangement which has recently changed suppliers. In the last couple of years it's been noticeable that contractors that are brought in via personal connections of existing permies or contractors seem to be consistently better than ones via an agency.

So my question is really how to attract good contractor candidates when there isn't the option of higher day rates? Not everyone is solely motivated by day rate and they have several contractors who could clearly earn significantly higher day rates elsewhere but enjoy working at the client. The client culture seems to be a big factor in this from what they tell me, I was interested to hear other people's views.

Hope that clarifies?

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I'm working with a client to help them improve their capabilities in attracting, recruiting and retaining people, especially contractors. I'm interested to know what specific things about an organisation or contract role are most likely to influence you to apply for your next role?
    -Rate clearly stated
    -Outside IR35 (or if the client is insistent on inside, then pays the contractor an increased rate to compensate)
    -Remote working

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    IME the higher the rate, the worse the environment. It's not "bulltulip employee speak" to want a gig that doesn't mess with your physical and mental health. I'd rather take a lower paying role and do something I enjoy than rake it in in some toxic environment and then need to spend the extra money earned on getting well again.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    100% remote working followed by rate. After that, I couldn't care less about the tools, technology, project, team any of it.

I don't have a career or direction, just follow the money, the more the better. Everything else is bulltulip employee speak.
    What a strange, and silly, perspective. You follow the money by paying attention to what's hot, and ensuring that each gig takes you to the right places.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    100% remote working followed by rate. After that, I couldn't care less about the tools, technology, project, team any of it.

I don't have a career or direction, just follow the money, the more the better. Everything else is bulltulip employee speak.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When I was a permie hiring manager, I insisted on them joining us. And buying the beer - or at least the first few rounds.
    The industry giveth and the industry taketh away.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    What would attract me?
    Say £5,000 for doing what I already do all day long now. (The telegraph crossword, coffee drinking and posting on here from time to time - the joys of retirement

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    ... (visits to pubs can be decided on a case by case basis).
    When I was a permie hiring manager, I insisted on them joining us. And buying the beer - or at least the first few rounds.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    To cut to the chase, money.

However if you want to stop contractors jumping ship once you have them signed up then make sure your managers treat them like Contractors and not another permanent member of staff. We are there to do a task, not fill a seat or go to team meetings (visits to pubs can be decided on a case by case basis).

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Worse, technical tests. If I'm no good, terminate the contract. I'm not a permie.

100% this... I simply refuse to meet the client if they ask for any kind of tech test.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Always the same for me, interest in project and WFH options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X