• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to find average salary for role and location"

Collapse

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Where can this Robert hall guide be found exactly please?
    https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/salary-guide

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    ask LondonPM1

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I wouldn't trust anything coming from an agent. Especially when it is related to rates.

"Truth is a good option to fall back upon" is a saying that says a lot about the sales people...

Maybe if it is an internal memo but that I doubt people have access to. Also market changes every few months, it might not have the latest trends.
    Robert Half salary guide is pretty good. It doesn't obviously account for any niche skills but I think Robert Half's salary guide is more accurate than those websites that were posted. I haven't looked at Hays so can't comment on that.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I wouldn't trust anything coming from an agent. Especially when it is related to rates.

"Truth is a good option to fall back upon" is a saying that says a lot about the sales people...

Maybe if it is an internal memo but that I doubt people have access to. Also market changes every few months, it might not have the latest trends.
    I use the publications for what they are - guides, and in my experience they are a good starting point. I would place more value on the data than that found on a job board. There are so many factors affecting a salary, you ideally need a few sources and even using several will only give you a range.

The other main challenge is that salary only makes up a proportion of your total package and the higher up you go, especially in big companies, the lower the salary is as a proportion of your total package. As far as I know, surveys don't usually mention the non-salary parts like pension, bonus, company car etc.

For perm jobs, the better headhunters are usually quite good at telling you what the market rate is and more specifically what your likely worth is.
    Last edited by edison; 28 May 2021, 14:54.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    There are also several IT salary and contractor rate surveys published each year by the likes of Hays and Robert Half. Some have data by region/size of company.

Usually you need to have some relationship with the agency e.g. have hired staff to be able to get a free copy.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    There are also several IT salary and contractor rate surveys published each year by the likes of Hays and Robert Half. Some have data by region/size of company.

Usually you need to have some relationship with the agency e.g. have hired staff to be able to get a free copy.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    Thanks everyone. IT jobwatch was handy, Reed had a average salary calculator as well. The best seemed to be jobserve, just do a search and see how many jobs are in each bracket of salary.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Permie IT salary range is £15K to £1.5m p.a. depending on the above.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    As other have said, which role, at what level, in which location, in which industry?

City Hedge fund, algorithmic trading developer / Quant, with 15 years realtime experience of making a company billions, or school leaver on apprenticeship, working in the public sector at a library in Scunthorpe?

Both permie IT roles.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    usually you should look at the mid point from ranges advertised and add 20% on that. that's what most employers would be looking to pay.
    the top of the range is not usually relevant.

I would start the calculation from the other side. What are your expenses, what are your savings plans. Would you consider taking a role to further your career?
    What opportunities would the new knowledge open.

If you can't get an answer that you are satisfied with, consider doing other things. Not working, selling house or relocating to another country.

A lot of times it is not about what they can offer but how would that work with you. Look at it with an open mind. You do not want to work because you have to pay bills. Or work only for money. That is the worst kind of motivation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Jobstats looks like it has been updated in 10 years.

This is the one you want:

https://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/
    But also take that with a pinch of salt. It's created by scraping the boards so will also contain all the false adverts and ones with inflated rates to garner interest.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied

Jobstats looks like it has been updated in 10 years.

This is the one you want:

https://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Take that with a pinch of salt though. Adabas Natural av. salary of £10,000,000

In general… IT jobs will be between £35K and £150k depending on role and experience.
    Purely technical skills, with at least 2 years, and you’re in £45k to £70k range, depending on experience and rarity of skill set. To get more than that you need to bring more than just an engineer/dev skill set.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Jobstats - IT Jobs Salary Rates and Market Information

Leave a comment:

Working...
X