• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate negotiation, recruiter trying it on?"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It's irrelevant whether the agent is pushing for a rate cut or the client. You take your chances in the negotiation. The agent may have more good CVs who are in it for less. If he does rejecting the cut will lose you the contract.

At the end of the day you can be "ripped off" equally by the agent or the client.

The decision should be based on what you can earn else where. Clearly if you're inundated with calls you turn it down or stick your rate up.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Your first contract? You probably tripled your take home and you almost lost it over 100 a month gross?
    When I was junior I once got a payrise which bumped my pay by 4.5k but I wanted a payrise of 6k. I demanded the difference but was told there is no budget and it is already good money. 4 weeks later I found a job that paid extra 12k and put my notice in. The original employer countered and matched the 12k. You should get paid what you think you are worth.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It's a goer if the end client knows what you are doing so ignores the "I'm sorry but he's resigned" phone call that the agent will try and make.
    I think this only applies when the agent has told lies and doesn't want the client involved or knowing about it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

If I think the agent is pulling a fast one but I don't want to rock the boat and risk losing the contract then I've taken the contract unchallenged. Get your feet under the desk and find out what the client is paying and then if there is scope for it play hardball with the agent in mid contract. I've had it work and I've also failed but nothing ventured...…. Probably not a goer in the current climate.
    It's a goer if the end client knows what you are doing so ignores the "I'm sorry but he's resigned" phone call that the agent will try and make.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    For my first contract the agent tried his utmost best to convince me that 495 is the best the client can do (I wanted 500). I have already been through the interviews and I knew that my skillset was a perfect match. I smelt bulltulip so I called him on it and said that I cannot accept a lower rate than what I have asked for. He huffed and puffed about his manager not allowing him to stretch any further than 495 but after I thanked him for the opportunity and said my goodbyes quickly changed his tune and found the missing £5.

If I think the agent is pulling a fast one but I don't want to rock the boat and risk losing the contract then I've taken the contract unchallenged. Get your feet under the desk and find out what the client is paying and then if there is scope for it play hardball with the agent in mid contract. I've had it work and I've also failed but nothing ventured...…. Probably not a goer in the current climate.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    For my first contract the agent tried his utmost best to convince me that 495 is the best the client can do (I wanted 500). I have already been through the interviews and I knew that my skillset was a perfect match. I smelt bulltulip so I called him on it and said that I cannot accept a lower rate than what I have asked for. He huffed and puffed about his manager not allowing him to stretch any further than 495 but after I thanked him for the opportunity and said my goodbyes quickly changed his tune and found the missing £5.
    Your first contract? You probably tripled your take home and you almost lost it over 100 a month gross?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Great skills. Look after those fivers... bet you wish you’d asked for £525.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And I'd also be tempted to go with this as well unless there is a fixed margin in place. That said my current client expects a ten or so percent cut on the first renewal.
    I remember when renewal was a time for a ten percent increase.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    It has got to the stage now I hardly take any notice of my end date as it tends to either get terminated early because they have run out of money or you are renewed to finish the project.

If you have got nothing else on the go I would be tempted to have a safety first policy but if you aren't that desperate spin the dice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In my experience, it's nearly always the agent.
    And I'd also be tempted to go with this as well unless there is a fixed margin in place. That said my current client expects a ten or so percent cut on the first renewal. My agent swallowed some of it but had to pass some of it on. The first time I was here I was highly sceptical when the agent told me this but it's the second time it's happened and it's a consultancy this time so seems legit. So I know clients can push it but I'd still default the blame to the agent until proven otherwise.
    Thankfully it's only the first renewal. Pretty smart move to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    You can always ask the client what the inclusive rate is the Agent is putting you in at.
    Not always. I believe some contracts state you are not allowed to discuss rate with clients. I've never had one but people have mentioned them on here. You could ask before you sign the contract I guess but I don't discuss agent business with the client during the interview process. Can rub clients up the wrong way so isn't worth it IMO.

You know at the very end of the interview when they ask do you have any questions.

Good chance the interviewer doesn't know, only the hiring manager does, but worth asking anyway just on the off chance he does.
    No chance on gods earth would I ever mention rates and the agent in an interview.
    i once caught my all inclusive rate on the CV cover sheet during the interview.
    We've had at least two people mention exactly the same in the past LOL. What a balls up that is
    I was at client that accidently sent a charge sheet out for different roles for project resources but another tab had the actual rates for every contractor. It did prove the agent wasn't lying when they say said they were on a fixed margin but did show there wasn't a fixed price per role ie across all PM's. Proper screw up for sure.
    I've also heard and seem myself where clients leave the finacials for contractors on a printer but with the advent of printanywhere type things that's all in the past now.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 January 2021, 23:31.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    All the rate cuts I got came directly from the client, but in any case it's irrelevant as you will never know on the initial contract. You should know the market, your rate and what you expect.

If you are inundated with calls you turn it down, if it's the first real lead in 6 months you agree, and if somewhere inbetween try to split the difference
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 January 2021, 21:54.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You will never know if it's really the client or the agent pushing the rate down, but mainly it's the client..

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You will never know if it's really the client or the agent pushing the rate down, but mainly it's the client. There's no point in the agent negotiating a rate and then renegotiating 2 days later before the interview, he may as well begin at the lower rate. PM's are very often pushed by the purchasing dept to cut the rate. That is the probable cause.

In the current market the agent will have a lot of CV's on his desk, I very much doubt he has to use fancy marketing tricks to pull in a contractor.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 January 2021, 20:18.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X