• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What’s the score from Thursday regarding....."

Collapse

• ForWhatItsWorth1980
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    As far as I’m aware construction is one of the few boom industries.
    So do what you need to but look around as there might be quite a bit of work for qualified QSs.
    That’s exactly what I’ve been doing the last 24 hours ha.

The market has slowed down considerably in private sector, so most if the work is social housing or HS2 related. Sod all work in the NW (where I live), so hence why im in the Midlands.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ForWhatItsWorth1980 View Post
    I’m working on a public sector project, but most QSs are WFH anyway where I work. They’re singling me out I think because I’m new, plus, they wanted me to be the eyes and ears on site (it’s not Covid secure however, hence why I refused to work on site - I’m in the office now).
    As far as I’m aware construction is one of the few boom industries.
    So do what you need to but look around as there might be quite a bit of work for qualified QSs.

Leave a comment:

• ForWhatItsWorth1980
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    What you eat affects your body, mind and overall health, including mental.

Beefeater doesn't sound good and neither does takeaway. You should be insisting on good accommodation and, ideally, decisions that are none of their business. A higher rate accounting for this is preferable to what you are provided now.

This is a chance for you to renegotiate. Unless you're working on a very important project, such as government, military or NHS, there's no need for you to be in. They sound like a tulip client.
    I’m working on a public sector project, but most QSs are WFH anyway where I work. They’re singling me out I think because I’m new, plus, they wanted me to be the eyes and ears on site (it’s not Covid secure however, hence why I refused to work on site - I’m in the office now).

Leave a comment:

• ForWhatItsWorth1980
    replied
    Hi all,

Thanks for the additional responses.

Apparently a decision will be made tomorrow (for across the business). I work in construction as a QS. Company is paying for hotel and meal allowances.

Unless they can find me another hotel which has an indoor catering facility attached to the hotel, then they should do the sensible thing and allow me to work from home (which I can - I don’t have to be on site). I work on public sector projects.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sounds like it.

Quite usual (to me) to hear of a client covering the subsistence tab in this manner.
    +1 - Premier Inn is probably the cheapest hotel group that does single bill business / corporate bookings while providing food. If you are bringing in inside IR35 resources from afar it's got to be the sanest approach.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do we assume this gig is inside which could add a whole different aspect to this issue?
    Sounds like it.

Quite unusual (to me) to hear of a client covering the subsistence tab in this manner.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 2 November 2020, 13:31. Reason: Meant to say unusual, not usual

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Company directing where work is, paying your expenses etc? Is there a chance this gig is inside which could add a whole different aspect to this issue?

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    As others have focused on, get your client to be practical and responsible, and wfh.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    There is always this solution: Kettle Cooking: 5 Delicious & Cheap Hot Meals that Only Require Boiling Water - The Global Gadabout

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    What you eat affects your body, mind and overall health, including mental.

Beefeater doesn't sound good and neither does takeaway. You should be insisting on good accommodation and, ideally, decisions that are none of their business. A higher rate accounting for this is preferable to what you are provided now.

This is a chance for you to renegotiate. Unless you're working on a very important project, such as government, military or NHS, there's no need for you to be in. They sound like a tulip client.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Pot noodles (other cheaper instant noodles are available) and fruit.

And I’m sure something can be arranged as it suits nobody for you to starve.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Good luck! Hopefully your client will see sense and let you WFH for the duration of the lockdown

Leave a comment:

• ForWhatItsWorth1980
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So talk to your client and ask them to transfer the beefeater on tab to uber eats on tab. If they're not flexible, then look for another gig or take the hit. If they're not flexible, you don't want to work for them anyway. And if you're making a loss, you're better off.
    Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Fingers crossed they do the right thing given the current situation.

Leave a comment:

• ForWhatItsWorth1980
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I think eek has summed it up.

First port of call is your client. Ask them what their policy is first thing Monday and don't let them fob you off.
    Thanks for your response, most appreciated. Yeh I’ll see what their response is tomorrow and hope for the best.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Takeaways are available.
    Uber eats has been suggested.
    Warning Domino's Pizza might limit their menu's again.
    Use Just Eat if you want some seriously manky kebabs delivered to your hotel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X