• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LTD paid in USD, any good tips? (Bank account, currency conversion, investments)"

Collapse

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by anim View Post
    How much do you pay to transfer $ from USA to $ account in the UK (revolut) with transferwise?
    Say on $10 000.
    They say transfer of $ to outside USA is made via SWIFT and it is $3.50 extra on top of $1.60 they normally charge for $ to $ + any correspondence bank(s) fees (TW dont know what they are).

Otherwise for euro, Starling bank has euro account both company one and personal. Comp one is £2/month, personal is free.
    They have 0.5% commission on E>£ and £>E conversion.

Revolut can also store E with £1000/m free conversion, 0.5% fee afterwards. Or no limits with £7/m plan.
    As I type this TransferWise would charge 42.82 USD (0.4282%) in fees to change 10,000 USD to 7,710.67 GBP at 0.774383 (Current Mid Market rate is 0.774380 checked on XE.com).

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What exchange rate does Western Union charge compared to Transferwise? That $8 isn't where the real profit is
    Got paid a couple of days ago and it was $1 = €0.85 which looks like the current exchange rate. Apparently we use the business version of WU rather than the Nigerian Prince version which may make a difference

Leave a comment:

• anim
    replied
    How much do you pay to transfer $ from USA to $ account in the UK (revolut) with transferwise?
    Say on $10 000.
    They say transfer of $ to outside USA is made via SWIFT and it is $3.50 extra on top of $1.60 they normally charge for $ to $ + any correspondence bank(s) fees (TW dont know what they are).

Otherwise for euro, Starling bank has euro account both company one and personal. Comp one is £2/month, personal is free.
    They have 0.5% commission on E>£ and £>E conversion.

Revolut can also store E with £1000/m free conversion, 0.5% fee afterwards. Or no limits with £7/m plan.
    Last edited by anim; 6 October 2020, 22:37.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    See above. Transferwise. Or do you mean to stash money, long-term, in Euro? In that case, there are banks that offer them, yes. HSBC and Cater Allen come to mind. But that's a pretty big gamble when your costs are in largely in GBP. I would stick to minimizing fx costs and hassle (Transferwise) and forget about forecasting fx rates (an FSCS savings account).
    I meant stashing it away in Euro, have enough £ in the business account to last over a year, so can use that for now. The thing is that depending on how this new contract pans out, I'll probably move out of the UK, so then Euro would definitely be better (I'd be dealing via a non-UK company then). Still as you say a fair bit of hassle, so perhaps stick with Transferwise and do Euro-£ for the next two months and then simply stay on Euro elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    I use TransferWise too. What hasn't been mentioned is that TransferWise integrates with some accounting systems (I use Xero but QB and others may have connectors) so you can reconcile payments easily.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What exchange rate does Western Union charge compared to Transferwise? That $8 isn't where the real profit is
    Yurp. Not spot rate, you can be pretty sure.

Tranferwise amounts to about 0.5% above spot for cable after all fees.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    With a previous job I was paid by cheque drawn on a bank in Las Vegas which I had to take in and pay into my account monthly and only occasionally would I get a strange look.

Just checked with the company in the USA and they only get charge $8 for each transfer to me via Western Union so nothing too high so we're sticking with them. Its also nice, stick the invoice in one day and the money is in the bank the next.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I dealt with a literal bank a few years back (As in, my direct client was *the* bank) and they insisted on sending me a cheque. US banking is bizarre and antiquated.
    With a previous job I was paid by cheque drawn on a bank in Las Vegas which I had to take in and pay into my account monthly and only occasionally would I get a strange look.

Just checked with the company in the USA and they only get charge $8 for each transfer to me via Western Union so nothing too high so we're sticking with them. Its also nice, stick the invoice in one day and the money is in the bank the next.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post
    I'll piggyback on this thread and ask whether anyone here has any experience with using company foreign currency accounts in the UK? I might have the option to pick Euro as the currency in which my invoices are paid and I'm seriously considering it with Brexit looming in the background.
    See above. Transferwise. Or do you mean to stash money, long-term, in Euro? In that case, there are banks that offer them, yes. HSBC and Cater Allen come to mind. But that's a pretty big gamble when your costs are in largely in GBP. I would stick to minimizing fx costs and hassle (Transferwise) and forget about forecasting fx rates (an FSCS savings account).

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    I'll piggyback on this thread and ask whether anyone here has any experience with using company foreign currency accounts in the UK? I might have the option to pick Euro as the currency in which my invoices are paid and I'm seriously considering it with Brexit looming in the background.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I dealt with a literal bank a few years back (As in, my direct client was *the* bank) and they insisted on sending me a cheque. US banking is bizarre and antiquated.
    +1 to that. Very weird. "Checks" are still an actual thing over there.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Might have to look at TransferWise, I currently get paid via Western Union from the USA (for some reason the USA bank couldn't do transfers) and it looks like they might be cheaper

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Might have to look at TransferWise, I currently get paid via Western Union from the USA (for some reason the USA bank couldn't do transfers) and it looks like they might be cheaper

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    +4

I've taken something like £30k through TransferWise in USD and it's been absolutely fantastic. It's great being able to hand over US info, invoice in USD etc - just makes everything easier on the contract side. Then TransferWise makes the rest an absolute doddle - cheap as chips, instant transfer (literally, seconds) and just very straightforward.

As above, just get it transferred out pretty sharpish. It's so easy that there's just no excuse for not.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    +3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X