• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD paid in USD, any good tips? (Bank account, currency conversion, investments)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD paid in USD, any good tips? (Bank account, currency conversion, investments)

Hi,

I will soon start charging a company based in the US in USD and will unlikely to need the money out of the LTD anytime soon.
    Any ideas what's the best options out there? A bit hard comparing apples to apples with all the different known and unknown fees.
    Anything in specific that should be avoided would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Transferwise.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Transferwise.
      +1

Comment

+2. Just don’t treat it like a bank because the FSCS does not apply.

Comment

+3
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

+4

I've taken something like £30k through TransferWise in USD and it's been absolutely fantastic. It's great being able to hand over US info, invoice in USD etc - just makes everything easier on the contract side. Then TransferWise makes the rest an absolute doddle - cheap as chips, instant transfer (literally, seconds) and just very straightforward.

As above, just get it transferred out pretty sharpish. It's so easy that there's just no excuse for not.

Comment

Might have to look at TransferWise, I currently get paid via Western Union from the USA (for some reason the USA bank couldn't do transfers) and it looks like they might be cheaper
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Might have to look at TransferWise, I currently get paid via Western Union from the USA (for some reason the USA bank couldn't do transfers) and it looks like they might be cheaper
                I dealt with a literal bank a few years back (As in, my direct client was *the* bank) and they insisted on sending me a cheque. US banking is bizarre and antiquated.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I dealt with a literal bank a few years back (As in, my direct client was *the* bank) and they insisted on sending me a cheque. US banking is bizarre and antiquated.
                  +1 to that. Very weird. "Checks" are still an actual thing over there.

Comment

I'll piggyback on this thread and ask whether anyone here has any experience with using company foreign currency accounts in the UK? I might have the option to pick Euro as the currency in which my invoices are paid and I'm seriously considering it with Brexit looming in the background.

Comment

Working...
                    X