• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Salary Change

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Salary Change"

Collapse

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake1000 View Post
    I have always paid myself salary of £732. Now since I have a job I want to save tax and pay myself as low as possible. Do you mean I can stop paying myself even though I am employed by m y limited company?
    Yes, stop paying yourself a salary from you company, but still file your HMRC payroll as you did every month until now (I hope) but with a value of 0.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    A P45 isn't necessary.
    When I was in a similar situation, I had to wait until I had received my first pay from my employer. Then I called HMRC and asked to split my tax code across 2 employments. I set the one for myco to 0T which has the required effect.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It wouldn't be a P45, would it? You'd need a new starter form, as you're effectively taking a second job.
    But what OP wants/needs a P45 to be tax efficient. If his LTD stops paying a salary it can issue a P45.
    Otherwise it's emergency tax till forever and only getting it back at SA time.

Of course an accountant would/should have already done this. Buy hey ho.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It wouldn't be a P45, would it? You'd need a new starter form, as you're effectively taking a second job.
    If he doesn't fire himself from his ltd payroll you're right, but if he does he'll need a P45

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Stop paying yourself a salary and send yourself a P45, you know you need to give one to your new employer don't you, else you will be taxed on an emergency rate

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Stop paying yourself a salary and send yourself a P45, you know you need to give one to your new employer don't you, else you will be taxed on an emergency rate

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    No.. I don't have a accountant. I manage everything myself
    HMRC are going to love you.

And probably sooner than you think.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That's not true. It's fine for a director to draw a salary without a contract of employment. Don't muddy the waters.
    Equally it's fine for a director to not draw a salary regardless of whether he has or doesn't have a contract of employment.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by oilboil View Post
    You don't need to pay a salary, but if you do it will require a contract of employment (payments from a company without an employment contract are either drawings or dividends).

If you do pay a salary you need to make sure you pay yourself minimum wage for the hous you work for your company (in a salaried manner)

It is simple, but it is also really easy to get confused so you might be best served with an accountant helping here
    That's not true. It's fine for a director to draw a salary without a contract of employment. Don't muddy the waters.

Leave a comment:

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    ^^ OG is correct though perhaps poorly expressed: there is no need to pay yourself a salary.
    You don't need to pay a salary, but if you do it will require a contract of employment (payments from a company without an employment contract are either drawings or dividends).

If you do pay a salary you need to make sure you pay yourself minimum wage for the hous you work for your company (in a salaried manner)

It is simple, but it is also really easy to get confused so you might be best served with an accountant helping here

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    No need to pay a salary.
    ^^ OG is correct though perhaps poorly expressed: there is no need to pay yourself a salary.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Plus fairly sure he could have been paying himself more without paying tax but my accountant deals with all that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not very well it appears. What else have you done wrong that you don't know about and has cost you more than an accountant?

Not knowing you don't have to pay yourself is a very basic gaff.....
    I was purposefully not directly given him that (correct) answer so that he was forced to get an accountant

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No.. I don't have a accountant. I manage everything myself
    Not very well it appears. What else have you done wrong that you don't know about and has cost you more than an accountant?

Not knowing you don't have to pay yourself is a very basic gaff.....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I have always paid myself salary of £732. Now since I have a job I want to save tax and pay myself as low as possible. Do you mean I can stop paying myself even though I am employed by m y limited company?
    If you are Director and sole shareholder or split 50/50 with spouse, you're not an employee. No need to pay salary. You really do need an accountant though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X