• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has it come to this…"

Collapse

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Small company exemption?

I'm sure I read something about that...
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Small companies are exempt. Nothing to do with who makes the determination.
    A small company being exempt from making a determination does not make the contract exempt from IR35.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 29 June 2020, 10:17.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    Won't this 543 or whatever clause turn the contract inside IR35? As the client is exercising significant control and what is essentially an unpaid overtime would suggest employment contract rather than b2b.
    Assess the work at hand first and consider everything else - would it be inside anyway? If so, you take it or leave it. If not, ask for the interim day rate equivalent (to cover your 'arris when you don't work full weeks, i.e. when you've got an interview for a proper contact) so that the IR35 worries go out of the window.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Who says it's the agents thst have imposed this?
    Go for an interview, wait for the any questions section and ask "How long do you expect the 543 situation to last?"

You'll either get a reasonable answer or a WTF moment.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    Work 5 days but get paid for 3? They sure get creative in difficult times, these agents, dont they? It's really no different to 'what's the lowest rate you'll work for?' but just asked a different way.

Why do people put up with this bulltulip in IT? Try telling your plumber or whoever you have a job that will take 5 days for them to do but you're only going to pay them for 3 days labour, see how many takers you get and that's before you see the quality of their work!

Nah, if it was me, it is work 5 days \ hours, whatever, bill and get paid for 5 days \ hours. I'd rather sit on my bum, go permie or find another way to earn money.
    Nobody has to take the work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Who says it's the agents thst have imposed this?

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Work 5 days but get paid for 3? They sure get creative in difficult times, these agents, dont they? It's really no different to 'what's the lowest rate you'll work for?' but just asked a different way.

Why do people put up with this bulltulip in IT? Try telling your plumber or whoever you have a job that will take 5 days for them to do but you're only going to pay them for 3 days labour, see how many takers you get and that's before you see the quality of their work!

Nah, if it was me, it is work 5 days \ hours, whatever, bill and get paid for 5 days \ hours. I'd rather sit on my bum, go permie or find another way to earn money.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Ah, do you mean, if you pop a timesheet into the client for five days, for which the agent invoices for five.

But the contractor only invoices for three. Meaning the agent gets a percentage rake off five days, And two clear days' profit?

Did I get that right? If so, agreed. BJ might need to sort that with both client and agent.
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Ah, do you mean, if you pop a timesheet into the client for five days, for which the agent invoices for five.

But the contractor only invoices for three. Meaning the agent gets a percentage rake off five days, And two clear days' profit?

Did I get that right? If so, agreed. BJ might need to sort that with both client and agent.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I know needs must at the moment but I think it is a very bad road to be going down. Would certainly want it guaranteed it wasn't the agent pulling a fast one and constant reviews.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Small company exemption?

The small company exemption means if you do contract work for a small company (as defined in the draft legislation) the burden of deciding if the contract is in or out remains with you - same as today.

It's not an exemption from IR35.

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Er, IR35 does still apply - as of next April, its just who makes the determination that differs.
    Small companies are exempt. Nothing to do with who makes the determination.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Er, IR35 does still apply - as of next April, its just who makes the determination that differs.
    Small company exemption?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    maybe it's a small company so ir35 doesn't apply?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Do five days worth of work within 3 days and everyone is happy. Given most clients' expectations, it's not terribly difficult to achieve.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    Won't this 543 or whatever clause turn the contract inside IR35? As the client is exercising significant control and what is essentially an unpaid overtime would suggest employment contract rather than b2b.
    maybe it's a small company so ir35 doesn't apply?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X