• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice period not given by client"

Collapse

• LetterBox
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Towards the end of contracts, I take a selfie at my desk, with me clearly logged in on the clients computer (no sensitive information showing), and holding up that days newspaper front page. Just in case.
    Small paper cut with blood to smear over the desk can also lead to a contractor DNA match, standard practice immediately after an agency 'chat'.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Towards the end of contracts, I take a selfie at my desk, with me clearly logged in on the clients computer (no sensitive information showing), and holding up that days newspaper front page. Just in case.
    Perfect. Had to laugh (with you) at this one.

Careful no one thinks you're being held hostage and tries to count remaining fingers in the photo...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is that with your tinfoil hat on or off?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Yup, there's always that.

Towards the end of contracts, I tend to Bcc my personal email address to offer Proof of Life to the last day. Just in case.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Towards the end of contracts, I tend to Bcc my personal email address to offer Proof of Life to the last day. Just in case.

And no, I have never had to test that thinking, much less state that it would work.
    I'd be a little wary of that approach. Send client information to your personal email may land in you more hot water. Need to check the IT policy and contracts to see what the score is around company information to personal mails and also the actual nature of information in the mail you send. It's possible but need to be very careful.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    They'll have an easy out for that:
    "No sign of him all week so we terminated on Thursday. Honest guv."

And no, I have never had to test that thinking, much less state that it would work.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
    If they have terminated the contract then someone on the client side will have to have noted the termination date, your agency should have this comms from the client and the 'effective date'. It should say Thursday I guess if you've done the start of the week. Even with an unsigned timesheet, if you were there on those 3 days then you will have a claim. This logic should work with the agency who also know the rules of the game.
    They'll have an easy out for that:
    "No sign of him all week so we terminated on Thursday. Honest guv."

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not quite. That's a different area of law. It might look the same but it's not.
    And he missed a bit - "being paid for being there" is the key element.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Take them to court for employee rights, you might be the person we've been waiting for to come along and blow IR35 out the water!
    He works for an umbrella. He already has the necessary employment rights. Paid for out of his day rate, of course, but they are all present and correct. For the duration of the contract up the chain...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This my understanding too.

In the same way that if one does not sign a renewal, being on site after the end date of the previous contract will deem signing and continuance of terms.
    Not quite. That's a different area of law. It might look the same but it's not.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
    If they have terminated the contract then someone on the client side will have to have noted the termination date, your agency should have this comms from the client and the 'effective date'. It should say Thursday I guess if you've done the start of the week. Even with an unsigned timesheet, if you were there on those 3 days then you will have a claim. This logic should work with the agency who also know the rules of the game.
    This my understanding too.

In the same way that if one does not sign a renewal, being on site after the end date of the previous contract will deem signing and continuance of terms.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    First thing to realise: NHS are more important to Venn than any given contractor. NHS have the money that they want, you're simply one means of getting to it.

Second: for not getting the three days signed off - good luck trying to prove that you worked them. Lining up a colleague to vouch for you is probably your only hope.

Finally, this can happen as easily on outside as inside gigs; being binned off at a whim is one of the risks for us/perks for them.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Hagans88 View Post
    s
    Well I wont be doing any more contracts in IR35 then. What's the point.
    Take them to court for employee rights, you might be the person we've been waiting for to come along and blow IR35 out the water!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Hagans88 View Post
    Hi

I did not sign a contract with the agency but have a notice period in my contract with the umbrella company I use who raised their contract with my agency.

Where do I stand with getting my owed money and getting the notice period paid?
    As you don't have a contract with the agency you need to take it up with the umbrella company. There is no contract between you and the agency.

Leave a comment:

• LetterBox
    replied

Regards notice period, legally, there is none, never has been, for reasons as has been previously stated. A very high percentage of clients will give you notice and keep you busy through this notice period, but a few wont, and do not have to.

In terms of Inside IR35, you in effect have all the risks of contracting life but likely a not dissimilar pay to a permanent employee with benefits, hence the current gloom.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X