• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plunge into contracting"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    It isn't unusual to spend a long time looking for a contract. 3 weeks is nothing, especially for a first gig.

Somebody said your cv will be one of "750". It depends on your area. If your area is popular, eg you are a Python developer, yes there are loads of opportunities, but loads of Python devs too. If you are more of a minority, I don't know, say a backups architect, then you compete with fewer people, for a smaller number of roles. Contractors on this forum are all in different areas so their experience of the job market differs widely.
    True, but a PM/BA with a "consultancy" background is about as generic as you can get, in a market where clients (or more accurately agencies) are buying specific experience.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by nomad24 View Post
    Have decided to shift to contracting and have been looking for a contract for the last 3 weeks but no luck so far.
    It isn't unusual to spend a long time looking for a contract. 3 weeks is nothing, especially for a first gig.

Somebody said your cv will be one of "750". It depends on your area. If your area is popular, eg you are a Python developer, yes there are loads of opportunities, but loads of Python devs too. If you are more of a minority, I don't know, say a backups architect, then you compete with fewer people, for a smaller number of roles. Contractors on this forum are all in different areas so their experience of the job market differs widely.

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    With your background, You should be tapping up your network - former clients and employers.
    do this...if possible.
    my first contract gig was with a client i already had a good relationship with.
    after that it gets a lot easier.

the rest of the doom and gloom...
    well its all doom and gloom...
    much doomy and mostly gloomy.

mind you the sun will be out soon and cold beer will taste that much nicer.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I have been in permanent employment for the last 14 years. I currently work for a Big 4 firm as a PM/BA and previously with other big names in IT consulting firms. All of my experience has been within Financial Services with big banks.
    Always a bugbear of mine this. Which one are you? I am sure there are a few highly skilled and seasoned contractors that can successfully flit between the two but there are also 1000's of people very average at both and that just won't work for contracting. The client will want one or the other and that person has to demonstrate years of experience doing just that and there will be plenty of them applying. You go in saying you are a PM/BA with a mish mash on the CV you won't stand a chance.
    Have decided to shift to contracting and have been looking for a contract for the last 3 weeks but no luck so far.
    Three weeks is nothing, particularly when you are talking about your first gig. Plenty of very experienced people out there for clients not to need to take the risk with a newbie. That person won't understand contracting, won't be able to deliver from day one and has no track record seeing potentially difficult gigs through. Put's you a long way back in the queue.

When you get to three months then you can start worrying.

Not sure if the market is bad or the timing or are consultants merely a process and contracting works on the basis of who know who.....looking for some tips and tricks from experienced folks in the IT contracting world...
    Both the above comments will hurt you regardless of market.

EDIT : Just thought. I'm guessing you have a month's notice which is another bad mark when trying to go contracting. Clients tend to want people right now. Very few will wait a month.

So you are hunting a gig that want's a newbie, wants a generalist PM/BA, will wait a month.. So make that three years and then start worrying.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 April 2019, 11:53.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Is there ever a good time to have a baby?

One either does it, or one doesn't. The pros and cons can have you in an ever spiralling argument with yourself. Plunges are taken or they are not.
    To quote one recent thread https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...side-ir35.html

There is a whole section there about warnings of the future.

Add in the "political uncertainty" (don't mention the b****** word in professional), the state of the market thread, that finance companies have been off-shoring for years. Politicians and HMRC who consider us glorified typists.

Of course, you could well be right. With great uncertainty brings great opportunities.

Oh and there is never a good time for a man to have a baby. But then I am quite biased......

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    I have been in permanent employment for the last 14 years. I currently work for a Big 4 firm as a PM/BA and previously with other big names in IT consulting firms. All of my experience has been within Financial Services with big banks.

Not sure if the market is bad or the timing or are consultants merely a process and contracting works on the basis of who know who.....looking for some tips and tricks from experienced folks in the IT contracting world...

Thanks
    Some friendly advice for you, stick with perm roles.

Contracting in its current form is going to die so unless you like the flexibility and risk, with none of the upside of extra money to cover it, I'd think very long and hard about what you're doing.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is now a good time to be going contracting?
    Is there ever a good time to have a baby?

One either does it, or one doesn't. The pros and cons can have you in an ever spiralling argument with yourself. Plunges are taken or they are not.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    OP your joining the other 750 or so applicants per role. Many will have a lot of experience contracting. Just having worked 14 years in Financial Services with big banks is not really uncommon nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Is now a good time to be going contracting?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Thanks
    I generally find replying to ads unproductive. Others have a more positive experience.

With your background, You should be tapping up your network - former clients and employers.

Leave a comment:

• nomad24
    started a topic Plunge into contracting

Plunge into contracting

Thanks

Working...
X