• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Broken self billing system what are my options"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    I don't think it's for the contractor's benefit at all. Just imagine the mess if 10,000 contractors working for some huge govt client sent in the ~10,000 differently formatted (and coffee-stained, and wrong) invoices in every week/month and some poor sod had to work through them all.
    This. Agents do not put systems and processes in just to do us a favour.

Leave a comment:

• amanwhoisquiet
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Yeah, self billing is just an agency doing you a favour
    I don't think it's for the contractor's benefit at all. Just imagine the mess if 10,000 contractors working for some huge govt client sent in the ~10,000 differently formatted (and coffee-stained, and wrong) invoices in every week/month and some poor sod had to work through them all.

Leave a comment:

• RyanDS
    replied
    To be fair it is never enforced. I've worked in recruitment (back office) for 20 years and we have always self billed whatever agency I have been with. Even when we have had HMRC audits this was just ignored as long as not abused. One of the few times HMRC just accept the situation on the ground and don't care about the paperwork trail.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
    Ahem:

If you are a VAT registered supplier
    Setting up a self-billing arrangement
    If one of your customers wants to set up a self-billing arrangement with you, they’ll ask you to agree to this in writing. If you agree, they’ll give you a self-billing agreement to sign.

The terms of the agreement are a matter between you and your customer, but there are certain conditions you’ll both have to meet to make sure you comply with VAT regulations.

For VAT purposes you’ll have to do all of the following:

sign and keep a copy of the self-billing agreement
    agree not to issue any sales invoices to your customer for any transaction during the period of the agreement
    agree to accept the self-billing invoices that your customer issues
    tell your customer at once if you change your VAT registration number, deregister from VAT, or transfer your business as a going concern
    I stand corrected.
    Odd though as my last contract was self-billing and no such agreement was signed.
    I still raised invoices in FreeAgent though just didn't send them.

Leave a comment:

• RyanDS
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Bulltulip.
    Ahem:

If you are a VAT registered supplier
    Setting up a self-billing arrangement
    If one of your customers wants to set up a self-billing arrangement with you, they’ll ask you to agree to this in writing. If you agree, they’ll give you a self-billing agreement to sign.

The terms of the agreement are a matter between you and your customer, but there are certain conditions you’ll both have to meet to make sure you comply with VAT regulations.

For VAT purposes you’ll have to do all of the following:

sign and keep a copy of the self-billing agreement
    agree not to issue any sales invoices to your customer for any transaction during the period of the agreement
    agree to accept the self-billing invoices that your customer issues
    tell your customer at once if you change your VAT registration number, deregister from VAT, or transfer your business as a going concern

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by mike67 View Post
    Unfortunately in the self billing agreement the OP will have specifically agreed not to raise invoices for the services covered by the agreement - it is part of the standard legal wording that HMRC insists on.
    Bulltulip.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Yeah, self billing is just an agency doing you a favour and keeping things in a way that is accurate to their records, but I doubt it's legally binding that you must use it in all circumstances
    Indeed.

And if the OP wants, he can draw up his own timesheet, get his Mgr to sign it and send it in with an invoice. Job done.

Leave a comment:

• mike67
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    Can you not just send them an invoice?
    Unfortunately in the self billing agreement the OP will have specifically agreed not to raise invoices for the services covered by the agreement - it is part of the standard legal wording that HMRC insists on. Agree with the suggestion to raise it informally with the client and hope that they will put pressure on the agency. Otherwise you have to start getting shirty with the agency who are in breach of their contract with you as they will have said they will raise self billing invoices for work supplied.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post

I see this a lot where clients dictate how they want to be invoiced, even down to systems that charge for their use. Surely any kind of invoice is as equally binding? I send you an invoice, you pay it - it doesn't matter what format it's in. Or am I missing something?
    Yeah, self billing is just an agency doing you a favour and keeping things in a way that is accurate to their records, but I doubt it's legally binding that you must use it in all circumstances

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied

I see this a lot where clients dictate how they want to be invoiced, even down to systems that charge for their use. Surely any kind of invoice is as equally binding? I send you an invoice, you pay it - it doesn't matter what format it's in. Or am I missing something?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• luimneach2005
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    And as you appear to be from Limerick, you presumably have persuasive relatives who can put the frighteners on them.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    but as you've not been paid I'd be inclined to cross that bridge.
    Definitely! They are about to lose their contractor, through no fault of your own or theirs. They are the ones in a position to apply real pressure.

I'd just tell them that XYZ Agency is X days in arrears on their payments to you, that they are telling you it is a timesheet problem but timesheet problems don't pay your bills, and it may end up being a problem for your ability to continue in the contract if it continues. You wanted them to be aware of it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
    My agency uses a self billing worksheet system. It's not been working for the last four weeks and I have been unable to bill. My client is abroad so my outlays are high. There has been no movement forward. I need those payments and I need them quicker than 2-3 months. What options do I have to submit a backdated invoice?
    The contract constrains me to the timesheet system but if there isn't a working timesheet system what's our rights to be paid?
    I should mention there were delays at the start of this too of up to a month because of their new system. it's one of those agencies that charges you % to get your money earlier but they have delayed mine through their lack of service to the point it's become an issue.
    HELP
    And as you appear to be from Limerick, you presumably have persuasive relatives who can put the frighteners on them.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Agree with the IPSE assistance.
    I'd also discuss with the client as the agency relationship is 2-way, and if they're having financial troubles the client need to be know. Strictly speaking you shouldn't discuss agency business with the client but as you've not been paid I'd be inclined to cross that bridge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X