• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broken self billing system what are my options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    Can you not just send them an invoice?
    Unfortunately in the self billing agreement the OP will have specifically agreed not to raise invoices for the services covered by the agreement - it is part of the standard legal wording that HMRC insists on. Agree with the suggestion to raise it informally with the client and hope that they will put pressure on the agency. Otherwise you have to start getting shirty with the agency who are in breach of their contract with you as they will have said they will raise self billing invoices for work supplied.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Yeah, self billing is just an agency doing you a favour and keeping things in a way that is accurate to their records, but I doubt it's legally binding that you must use it in all circumstances
      Indeed.

And if the OP wants, he can draw up his own timesheet, get his Mgr to sign it and send it in with an invoice. Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by mike67 View Post
        Unfortunately in the self billing agreement the OP will have specifically agreed not to raise invoices for the services covered by the agreement - it is part of the standard legal wording that HMRC insists on.
        Bulltulip.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Bulltulip.
          Ahem:

If you are a VAT registered supplier
          Setting up a self-billing arrangement
          If one of your customers wants to set up a self-billing arrangement with you, they’ll ask you to agree to this in writing. If you agree, they’ll give you a self-billing agreement to sign.

The terms of the agreement are a matter between you and your customer, but there are certain conditions you’ll both have to meet to make sure you comply with VAT regulations.

For VAT purposes you’ll have to do all of the following:

sign and keep a copy of the self-billing agreement
          agree not to issue any sales invoices to your customer for any transaction during the period of the agreement
          agree to accept the self-billing invoices that your customer issues
          tell your customer at once if you change your VAT registration number, deregister from VAT, or transfer your business as a going concern

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
            Ahem:

If you are a VAT registered supplier
            Setting up a self-billing arrangement
            If one of your customers wants to set up a self-billing arrangement with you, they’ll ask you to agree to this in writing. If you agree, they’ll give you a self-billing agreement to sign.

The terms of the agreement are a matter between you and your customer, but there are certain conditions you’ll both have to meet to make sure you comply with VAT regulations.

For VAT purposes you’ll have to do all of the following:

sign and keep a copy of the self-billing agreement
            agree not to issue any sales invoices to your customer for any transaction during the period of the agreement
            agree to accept the self-billing invoices that your customer issues
            tell your customer at once if you change your VAT registration number, deregister from VAT, or transfer your business as a going concern
            I stand corrected.
            Odd though as my last contract was self-billing and no such agreement was signed.
            I still raised invoices in FreeAgent though just didn't send them.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

To be fair it is never enforced. I've worked in recruitment (back office) for 20 years and we have always self billed whatever agency I have been with. Even when we have had HMRC audits this was just ignored as long as not abused. One of the few times HMRC just accept the situation on the ground and don't care about the paperwork trail.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Yeah, self billing is just an agency doing you a favour
                I don't think it's for the contractor's benefit at all. Just imagine the mess if 10,000 contractors working for some huge govt client sent in the ~10,000 differently formatted (and coffee-stained, and wrong) invoices in every week/month and some poor sod had to work through them all.

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
                  I don't think it's for the contractor's benefit at all. Just imagine the mess if 10,000 contractors working for some huge govt client sent in the ~10,000 differently formatted (and coffee-stained, and wrong) invoices in every week/month and some poor sod had to work through them all.
                  This. Agents do not put systems and processes in just to do us a favour.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X