• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview Discretion"

Collapse

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    At one place where I was contracting a guy turned up wearing a tie who normally was quite scruffy. So I asked him "Got an interview today?" - and he turned bright read. Highly entertaining.

Don't be a prat, take the day off.
    Or work from home that day? If it was me I'd be having the day off though.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    One of the permies at a previous contract on a few occasions said he had to "nip out to his car for a meeting". He left about a month later. Still laugh at his straight face when he said it.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
    That's exactly what I had to do once. Casual site like the OP.

I had a slight different problem, I had an interview on one of the hottest days in 2015. I took suit in a suit bag and then got changed in a nearby railway station.

I didn't want to turn up dripping with sweat.
    Ah yeah.. And if this weather keeps up, even changing into a suit only minutes before the interview will still have you dripping with sweat..

Nope.. Only thing for it is to attend the interview in the most appropriate dress for this weather:

Leave a comment:

• chineseJohn
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Any service stations you can use to get changed in? Hell just go in trousers and shirt then stick your tie and jacket on later.
    That's exactly what I had to do once. Casual site like the OP.

I had a slight different problem, I had an interview on one of the hottest days in 2015. I took suit in a suit bag and then got changed in a nearby railway station.

I didn't want to turn up dripping with sweat.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You've got to get over equating every day off in terms of lost revenue. You'll hate going on holiday, waiting in for the washing repair man and all sorts. You are on a massive whack, just take the day off and don't worry. It's hardly putting you on the breadline.
    Ditto that. I spent the first two years contracting considering that every holiday I took was paid for twice - holiday cost and loss of earnings cost. I soon snapped out of that and moved to working out my target day rate based on 40 working weeks a year. I don't always hit it but it makes me less nervy about days off.

You could always journal it through your LtdCo as an opportunity cost to the P&L.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by man View Post
    That'll be an expensive interview on a decent current rate and isn't always going to be practical (say the project is right up against a deadline). I agree with not showing it off (like the example you mentioned, as a tie very easily goes in a bag) but surely most clients understand that you're running a business too so if they find out you're interviewing elsewhere what's the harm?
    You've got to get over equating every day off in terms of lost revenue. You'll hate going on holiday, waiting in for the washing repair man and all sorts. You are on a massive whack, just take the day off and don't worry. It's hardly putting you on the breadline.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by man View Post
    That'll be an expensive interview on a decent current rate and isn't always going to be practical (say the project is right up against a deadline). I agree with not showing it off (like the example you mentioned, as a tie very easily goes in a bag) but surely most clients understand that you're running a business too so if they find out you're interviewing elsewhere what's the harm?
    If you're that worried, say that you were asked to do an early morning presentation in an area of expertise as a favour for an old client.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Any service stations you can use to get changed in? Hell just go in trousers and shirt then stick your tie and jacket on later.

Im in a casual dress environment as well but go in smart occasionally for no other reason than I want to. Would be straight forward to turn stick a jacket and tie on in a car 0ark.

Leave a comment:

• man
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    At one place where I was contracting a guy turned up wearing a tie who normally was quite scruffy. So I asked him "Got an interview today?" - and he turned bright read. Highly entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorScum
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    I have an extension pending but not finalised yet and so looking at contract opportunities.
    Ohhhh you're a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorScum
    replied
    I wouldn't worry. When I used to be perm if my manager guessed i was having interviews he would have a chat with me and see if there was anything he could do to improve the situation

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I have an extension pending but not finalised yet and so looking at contract opportunities.

I have an interview being lined up for next week, however my place of work has casual dress code. So I fear coming in smart wear is going to be a bit of a give away...I'll try to get an early morning or late afternoon slot, so I can at least hid my suit jacket in a bag.

Also checking to seeing if the team manager is out of the office on any day...

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied

I have an interview being lined up for next week, however my place of work has casual dress code. So I fear coming in smart wear is going to be a bit of a give away...I'll try to get an early morning or late afternoon slot, so I can at least hid my suit jacket in a bag.

Eh? You are running a business, there is no need to hide the fact.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    How "casual" do you dress at your current client?

If it's a shirt & trousers, then fine, you just need to have a jacket and tie with you. If you're in there in ripped jeans and a t-shirt, then you'll have a creased shirt and trousers in your bag.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

This is why I never go casual on a client site I'm always in a smart dress so people would never know if I'm togged up for a reason.

Plan B - say you've got a court appearance for smuggling snacks into the cinema.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X