• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So what is a "good" rate?"

Collapse

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    For a 50% higher rate I would genuinely love the work, my colleagues and the organisation
    For 50% higher rate I would genuinely make love to my work, colleagues and the organisation also

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    Also depends on sector - Financial Services is obviously very different to e.g. Public Sector.

Across all contracting I would say 450-550 is a good rate outside FS.

For me, I also factor in work/life balance and how interesting the work/company looks. However, not everyone can afford that luxury in the current market.

Personally, good is 600-700, great 750+.

My last rate was 600 in a not for profit. A mate was doing almost an identical role for 900 but I wouldn't have swapped as I genuinely loved the work, my colleagues and the organisation.
    For a 50% higher rate I would genuinely love the work, my colleagues and the organisation

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Also depends on sector - Financial Services is obviously very different to e.g. Public Sector.

Across all contracting I would say 450-550 is a good rate outside FS.

For me, I also factor in work/life balance and how interesting the work/company looks. However, not everyone can afford that luxury in the current market.

Personally, good is 600-700, great 750+.

My last rate was 600 in a not for profit. A mate was doing almost an identical role for 900 but I wouldn't have swapped as I genuinely loved the work, my colleagues and the organisation.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Times change.

Java when it was the big thing in the 90's, I knew a guy on 2.5K per day.
    That wasn't unusual.
    And we wonder why everything went titsup

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Originally posted by Dante View Post
    I work in automation / devops type roles, and for me £450 is decent outside of London. £550 if I have to commute into the big smoke.
    Both pretty average bordering on low now imho. Seem to be a few firms trying to drive these down though.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    Obviously everyone's perception may be different. But there I always talk of a "good" rate. For me anything £400 and above is a good rate for a PM / PMO role. How about you?
    Looking at the market stats, I would say £450pd is the average offered rate, £650pd is a good rate and anything over £800pd is an excellent rate.

The truth is anything that pays the bills and you find interesting is a good rate.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I started out on £500 a day in London about 5 years ago.

I then got offered £450 a day about 20 minutes from my house and I stayed there for two years until I returned to the perm world.

The highest I ever went for was £1200 a day. I would have loved that one :-(

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    "Good rates" are also country specific and dependent on your tax setup. A flat number (unless it is very large) is meaningless without context. In Germany it used to be around €700 per day, until tax laws on freelancers changed. In Sweden €900 per day (or £800) is still good considering the tax situation. Declared UK rates are definitely down on the job sites, but that could be as much a reflection on the use of other recruiting channels (LinkedIn etc) for higher quality positions, as anything else

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Better than your last rate.
    +1 from me.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    A good rate is one that pays the bills and allows you to build a decent warchest. A great rate does that in a shorter amount of time.
    It does, as long as it lasts

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    A good rate is one that pays the bills and allows you to build a decent warchest. A great rate does that in a shorter amount of time.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    This is like saying anything above 30K is a great salary.
    Funnily enough 30K is now the base salary for many support & back office roles in the city so FS sector seems to think its a great salary. I remember the good old days when they used to have to offer £50-60K + a hefty bonus to fill these roles (you needed all of that as well to pay the daily lunchtime bar bill alone!!).

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Good grief, even in the late 1990's I would have described a good rate as being above 400 a day. How times haven't moved on. This is like saying anything above 30K is a great salary.
    Times change.

Java when it was the big thing in the 90's, I knew a guy on 2.5K per day.
    That wasn't unusual.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Good grief, even in the late 1990's I would have described a good rate as being above 400 a day. How times haven't moved on. This is like saying anything above 30K is a great salary.
    Firstly, the key word is "good", not great.

Secondly, even after a good amount of expenses, £400p/d is putting you in the top 2% of earners in the country. £30k, on the other hand, is only just above the average salary.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X