• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finding extra part time remote work"

Collapse

• shookshiver
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Comes free with a black belt in Ecky Thump
    And also comes with the Hillary evasive email and corruption technique too
    :-)

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Quick search came up with...

Freelancer.com
    Freelance.com
    Upwork.com

No, thank you.

qh

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Is that a new Martial Art?

Comes free with a black belt in Ecky Thump

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by shookshiver View Post
    Being doing it for the last 7-8 years - im fully immersed in Agile Scrum Kanban, business transformation, CI,CD, security and even some big data

Thanks for the tips - i thought this was something folks did - didnt know its a rare thing
    Is that a new Martial Art?

Leave a comment:

• shookshiver
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There's more to DevOps than just going to conferences. Do you know what it is and have you planned your experience, training and learning around it?

I'm not sure that you're going to find much part-time remote work there (I wouldn't be interested in such contractors).

You need to list out the benefits to potential clients of working the way you want (and be prepared to sell it), because they'll be as skeptical as I am.
    Being doing it for the last 7-8 years - im fully immersed in Agile Scrum Kanban, business transformation, CI,CD, security and even some big data

Thanks for the tips - i thought this was something folks did - didnt know its a rare thing

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Need to upskill Sal ...
    Nah i'm fine, for the type of work I was talking about the clients are too cheap to be able to afford me and usually go for the lowest price. You can probably make more money driving an Uber in your spare time.

The ones that know what they want and can afford it are usually too demanding to be able to squeeze them alongside full time gig.

In any case I'm not looking for more work, as I work to live, not live to work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I'm not sure that you're going to find much part-time remote work there (I wouldn't be interested in such contractors).
    Absolutely this.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Finding extra part time remote work

I assume your talking from experience

Im going to a Devops meeting here in London so ill get my business cards ready and start handing it out. I need the extra cash cause ill be buying a property soon
    There's more to DevOps than just going to conferences. Do you know what it is and have you planned your experience, training and learning around it?

You need to list out the benefits to potential clients of working the way you want (and be prepared to sell it), because they'll be as skeptical as I am.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I found when I was trying this it was a third of my time looking, a third selling, a third actual paid work so you'd need to increase ur rate by three until you can get employees onboard.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Im going to a Devops meeting here in London so ill get my business cards ready and start handing it out. I need the extra cash cause ill be buying a property soon
    So whats business offering? What is the scope of the services you can offer a potential client?

Leave a comment:

• shookshiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    He can do it easily by freeing up time by not posting so much on CUK

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well if he is looking for that type of work hes gonna have to offer an SLA up and meet it which is going to be nigh on impossible if hes in a full time role.
    He can do it easily by freeing up time by not posting so much on CUK

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    either that or you find small companies who want to pay for 'ad-hoc' support but expect you to drop everything at a moments notice to help them out.
    Well if he is looking for that type of work hes gonna have to offer an SLA up and meet it which is going to be nigh on impossible if hes in a full time role.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    You won't be able to find much bits of work that you can do alongside full time gig. The problem is that on that market for remote small pieces of work you are competing against a massive number of Indians etc. happy to "do" the work for chump change.
    either that or you find small companies who want to pay for 'ad-hoc' support but expect you to drop everything at a moments notice to help them out.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    You won't be able to find much bits of work that you can do alongside full time gig. The problem is that on that market for remote small pieces of work you are competing against a massive number of Indians etc. happy to "do" the work for chump change.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X