• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    This is truly terrible:

Lead Test Analyst

6m inside IR35

Remote, with occasional site visits (South Wales)

£160pd rate (Umbrella)

The rates are compressed due to NHS budget availability. The role needs a site visit to collect and return your IT equipment.

You’ll be required to work on a full-time basis between the hours of 8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week (Start/end times will be confirmed on day 1 of the contract). The successful candidate must work solely for the client during the hours stated above.

I know these things aren't entirely accurate but on-line calculator tells me this is the equivalent of about a 28k a year permanent job without the benefits and with line management responsibilities.
    The NHS have form for this. Last summer they had a PM role on PSR which (after being shortlisted) I was told pays £240/day inside! The recruiter that I spoke to was quite apologetic as she herself had got me the exact same kind of role in a public sector dept for more than double that day-rate 6-7 months earlier.

When I asked her how do they get decent candidates at these rates she said NHS roles attract a lot more applications than normal PS roles, for whatever reason. And the budget is set in stone and derived from perm pay bands so there's no movement on that.
    Last edited by sreed; Today, 17:03.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    This is truly terrible:

Lead Test Analyst

6m inside IR35

£160pd rate (Umbrella)

The rates are compressed due to NHS budget availability. The role needs a site visit to collect and return your IT equipment.

You’ll be required to work on a full-time basis between the hours of 8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week (Start/end times will be confirmed on day 1 of the contract). The successful candidate must work solely for the client during the hours stated above.

I know these things aren't entirely accurate but on-line calculator tells me this is the equivalent of about a 28k a year permanent job without the benefits and with line management responsibilities.
    This is a bloody piss take, grads used to start at that level. No bloody wonder nothing in the NHS works if these are the rates luring "talent" in...

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post

Indeed and if you forget about perm benefits as such (I know you shouldn't) but Clarity Umbrella calculator has a take home pay of £3300 (on a 20day month), to get that from a perm salary requires £50k and I doubt the LA will be paying that, probably not even the £40k you alluded to. So if I'd been out of work for a bit then I'd take it and continue looking.
    Yup I always say that even a low paid contract is still better than £0ph, but on the other hand, this is why ads like this show up and get applications / get filled. With enough people looking and a terrible market anything will go effectively, of course you'd probably get what you pay for as a hirer, but still, the position is filled which then results in a conclusion that you can find people for this amount of money, so next time lets see if we can get the same for less...

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Woah, that is just slightly over £40k a year perm equivalent...then again the role is "Continuous Improvement Practitioner", so perhaps 40k is a lot for that
    Indeed and if you forget about perm benefits as such (I know you shouldn't) but Clarity Umbrella calculator has a take home pay of £3300 (on a 20day month), to get that from a perm salary requires £50k and I doubt the LA will be paying that, probably not even the £40k you alluded to. So if I'd been out of work for a bit then I'd take it and continue looking.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    Am seeing a rise in agency insolvencies and also those talking about the prospect of it. Keep your credit control tight!
    I was talking to the agent I got my last contract through which finished in May. They still haven't been paid for my work there and that was for a public sector client.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Moan, whine, whinge.
    ME ME ME ME ME!
    Oh, do give it a rest.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Calling other morons in Professional forums is unacceptable. Please do not do that again, consider this a warning.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    This is truly terrible:

Lead Test Analyst

6m inside IR35

£160pd rate (Umbrella)

<snip>

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    ooh, ooh, where do I sign up!
    Woah, that is just slightly over £40k a year perm equivalent...then again the role is "Continuous Improvement Practitioner", so perhaps 40k is a lot for that

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Am seeing a rise in agency insolvencies and also those talking about the prospect of it. Keep your credit control tight!

Leave a comment:

• coolhandluke
    replied
    Quite a few .Net contacts I know are still looking. I'm not convinced that this market will ever return to be honest.

I closed my Ltd down 4 years ago and took a perm role. Moved on since then to a FTC which has just been extended until 2026, after that I'm gearing up for a low paying fully remote role I can work whilst I'm abroad.

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    Never heard another cheep re the possible outside role agent not answering calls/emails no doubt buried under the 100's of CV's/those willing to work peanuts...another dead end....that is it now am pushing ahead with closing my ltd co.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Any shortage of candidates will evidence the 'skills shortage' in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

I hope this email reaches you well. My Local Authority Client is seeking a Continuous Improvement Practitioner to support with Digital Transformation Projects.
    • Duration - 9-12 months
    • Pay - £240 Inside IR35
    • Location - Surrey
    • Start date - ASAP
    If you are interested please reply with your CV.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post

What a moronic thing to say.

Let's imagine people decided they didn't fancy contributing to national defence - the first responsibility of a government.
    We've already seen what happens when we govern by referendum.
    Quite.

I don't fancy contributing towards cancer treatment because it's very expensive and I don't have cancer. I own my own house outright, I don't want to subsidise affordable housing for poor people. I can also afford a car so let's not support public transport. And while we're at it, I live on a hill so why should I pay towards flood defences?

The sheer selfish entitlement of someone who lives in a society and benefits constantly from that, but only wants to pay towards the things that affect them directly, is gobsmacking. The sooner (s)he escapes the UK, the better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X