• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• KentDogWalker
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I've got to say - it's great to hear opportunities coming in, and 9/10 outside of IR35.

I think we possibly got what we wanted - the companies stopped taking the easy advice of the 'consultants' and actually made their roles outside of IR35, in name and in spirit. Everybody wins.
    should be a bounce for the market in Jan I think

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Having initially been told I was being kicked out just before Christmas like an employee of Better.com I have been extended to the end of March. Then I will be *definitely* finishing this gig (after two years!!).

Scanning the daily outside IR35 jobs list from offpayroll, there's been some interesting stuff coming up lately. I hope that continues.

Leave a comment:

• KentDogWalker
    replied
    I've got to say - it's great to hear opportunities coming in, and 9/10 outside of IR35.

I think we possibly got what we wanted - the companies stopped taking the easy advice of the 'consultants' and actually made their roles outside of IR35, in name and in spirit. Everybody wins.
    been testing the waters, market seems quiet atm, I'm just gonna site tight in my current Outsite ir35 role that feeds the family

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Talking about your rate.. How crass.
    To clarify I was referencing the post that mentioned £700/day.... unfortunately rate is a fair bit below that. Hopefully we can keep the heating on through the winter though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Market is a hell of a lot better than I thought... I was expecting a Jan start then suddently got 3 interviews on decent rates all outside IR35. Got an offer the same day and then started the following day.

Not quite £700/day but I think it's enough to feed the family with.....
    Talking about your rate.. How crass.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Market is a hell of a lot better than I thought... I was expecting a Jan start then suddently got 3 interviews on decent rates all outside IR35. Got an offer the same day and then started the following day.

Not quite £700/day but I think it's enough to feed the family with.....

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
    Sitting on £700 p/d Outside until April. Really can't complain.

Actually, I can. Hays are the intermediary at the moment and are absolutely shocking.

Meant to be self-billing paid weekly. Some weeks completely missed, others arrive late.

First time in my contract life I've thought about taking a pimp to court. For now sending chaser emails every other day will have to suffice...

LONG LIVE THE BULL MARKET!
    In my experience Hays are generally one of the better large nationwide agencies but I've had multiple problems with timesheets and self-billing invoices since they implemented a new system about a year ago. The most annoying is seemingly random deductions of days from invoices. I had to spend two hours last week trying to reconcile invoices against my timesheets and still haven't quite sorted it.

Leave a comment:

• KentDogWalker
    replied

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post

Actually, I can. Hays are the intermediary at the moment and are absolutely shocking.

Meant to be self-billing paid weekly. Some weeks completely missed, others arrive late.

First time in my contract life I've thought about taking a pimp to court. For now sending chaser emails every other day will have to suffice...

feel for ya man, slummin it at 700 pd Ourside

beggars can't be choosers

Leave a comment:

• ruasonid
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

There is no standard so pot luck, as is the amount. Not all companies are doing it and from what I have seen it's only public sector minus some odd examples in private. It certainly isn't standard accross the board. Generally your tax problems are not theirs. They pay the same amount whether you are inside or outside so they are under no obligation to uplift it. The only reason for them to do it is to continue to attract the best contracts and not be left with the dross when the good ones find outside gigs.
    Thanks. Coming back to the market after a 2.5 year hiatus (Brexit and COVID were the least of my concerns) that put things into a fresh perspective.

Had a look at https://www.contractorcalculator.co....4010_news.aspx

Also used the calculator. It seems a c. 30% markup would be needed to receive the same net as outside.

I'm seeing mainly inside roles and this one is inside or perm. Just missed out on an outside role but rates were lower so... Have another local FTC 6mo opportunity that might be an easier way back after being out of the game for so long.

Leave a comment:

• BigLadFromBeeston666
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    Any thoughts on day rate uplift for inside? I'm seeing figures around 17-20% (if it's negotiable) for public sector but not for private. Role is mainly remote with occasional onsite.
    There is no standard so pot luck, as is the amount. Not all companies are doing it and from what I have seen it's only public sector minus some odd examples in private. It certainly isn't standard accross the board. Generally your tax problems are not theirs. They pay the same amount whether you are inside or outside so they are under no obligation to uplift it. The only reason for them to do it is to continue to attract the best contracts and not be left with the dross when the good ones find outside gigs.

Leave a comment:

• ruasonid
    replied
    Any thoughts on day rate uplift for inside? I'm seeing figures around 17-20% (if it's negotiable) for public sector but not for private. Role is mainly remote with occasional onsite.

Leave a comment:

• KentDogWalker
    replied

yeh i agree, the gov is sent away red faced. well done yall

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Just finished my contract on Friday and looking at the market.... Outside more common than last time I checked and Inside rates starting to improve a little. Looks like it will be a few weeks until I land my next contract and could even take a couple of months.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Maybe in a very specific market, but virtually all roles I'm seeing are Inside albeit with a slightly higher rate to compensate.
    Kind of same but I'm thinking more 70/30 inside to outside so in the middle of you both. Nearly 100% for public sector though. Not too many increased rates from what I can see.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X