• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by churchillsnip View Post
    We need lower interest rates
    It's all about rates cuts, if they can cut rates enough without causing another bout of inflation we will be off to the races again.

But the BOE projection is 3.5% to 3.25% rates in 2025 and 2026.

Will that be enough?

The state of the market is currently dire in terms of job postings, at December/xmas levels, and that was even before the election was announced.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by churchillsnip View Post
    Putting money into the pockets of coffee shop owners and commercial property landlords isn’t the greatest justification for working from an office I’ve ever read.

We need lower interest rates and some business confidence. Almost every sector is ripe for investment with the advancement of LLMs - every company is worried about getting left behind. At a fundamental level, and with potential for a new government to (at the very least) allow for new and optimistic narratives to hook onto, we could be in a great position in a few months time.
    It's no justification at all. Don't get me wrong whilst I love WFH I can see business benefit by being in the office so as long we're not all stuck on zoom\teams calls all day. In fact where I currently work (HSBC) the department head suggested a return to the office would be coming, at which point the permies raised exactly the point about being on video calls all day i.e. they requested that this didn't happen and requested that in office attendance was focussed around face 2 face sessions, meetings etc
    Last edited by gables; Today, 07:59.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    If we all returned to the office, the company would have no choice but to hire space, thus, increasing the footfall to that particular area. Coffee shops, bars, eatery's.

Landlords would be happy and we would not have so many empty offices.

I believe that WFH has backfired. The money that was saved during Covid was used for projects last year which is why we had a mini increase. Now all that rent money has been spent, we have no money for new projects and no money for an office.
    and decrease footfall to local area, coffee shops, bars eatery's etc.. ah but who cares about where people actually live so as long as Starbucks in the city is fine. I've noticed a definite benefit in my local area from, presumably, more people working from home.

Leave a comment:

• churchillsnip
    replied
    Putting money into the pockets of coffee shop owners and commercial property landlords isn’t the greatest justification for working from an office I’ve ever read.

We need lower interest rates and some business confidence. Almost every sector is ripe for investment with the advancement of LLMs - every company is worried about getting left behind. At a fundamental level, and with potential for a new government to (at the very least) allow for new and optimistic narratives to hook onto, we could be in a great position in a few months time.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    If we all returned to the office, the company would have no choice but to hire space, thus, increasing the footfall to that particular area. Coffee shops, bars, eatery's.

Landlords would be happy and we would not have so many empty offices.

I believe that WFH has backfired. The money that was saved during Covid was used for projects last year which is why we had a mini increase. Now all that rent money has been spent, we have no money for new projects and no money for an office.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

To play devil's advocate, who are the kids going to learn from and interact with if the old timers with the experience to share are WFH because they've "put in their desk duty"?
    The mid-levels?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post

Then there's the never ending DPD vans pulling up, everybody in your neighbourhood undertaking building work (extensions, new gardens, etc), the missus hoovering up, the dogs barking at cat's they can see through the patio doors/living room window. Thank god we don't have kids thrown into the mix. Let's not kid ourselves that we're sat there in total silence and bliss, being > 100% productive.

However, this totally remote gig suits me given my age and the fact my career as a contractor is coming to a close. I've put in my desk duty over the 40 years I've been in work but I've no intention of living in somebody's spare room or hotels mid-week back down in London like I did for 10+ years. But I think it's critical for younger people to get back to the office, at least part of the time. Isolation isn't good and learning from and interacting with others is important. There's also the wider economy that could do with it.
    To play devil's advocate, who are the kids going to learn from and interact with if the old timers with the experience to share are WFH because they've "put in their desk duty"?

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Then there's the never ending DPD vans pulling up, everybody in your neighbourhood undertaking building work (extensions, new gardens, etc), the missus hoovering up, the dogs barking at cat's they can see through the patio doors/living room window. Thank god we don't have kids thrown into the mix. Let's not kid ourselves that we're sat there in total silence and bliss, being > 100% productive.
    Get yourself a pair of cans (headphones for those not familiar with the term) for £100 or some noise cancelling earphones (although those are typically a joke with the noise cancelling but better than nothing I guess) and work away. I'd go mental without anything to block all the noise from outside, but that's true for the office as well.

Also, set you status to busy on Teams and ignore anyone trying to contact you if you are really busy and want to do work.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
    i know lots of people on here like remote and WFH. For me if you actually want to get work done it's a nightmare.

I ping someone, they are away / on a call. They ping me, I am away / on a call. Hours pass by.
    In the office you trot to their desk when you see them free and have a 5 minute convo.
    Sitting on calls is draining and I feel the headset is a cage sometimes. Much rather meet F2F.

However, this totally remote gig suits me given my age and the fact my career as a contractor is coming to a close. I've put in my desk duty over the 40 years I've been in work but I've no intention of living in somebody's spare room or hotels mid-week back down in London like I did for 10+ years. But I think it's critical for younger people to get back to the office, at least part of the time. Isolation isn't good and learning from and interacting with others is important. There's also the wider economy that could do with it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    not to be confused with 'convoluted' which is what some side-of-the-desk 'convos' can end up being

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    really? since when? - wouldn't 'talk' or 'chat' or another English term be more useful?
    I don't know how long the word's been around, but it's in the Cambridge dictionary:
    CONVO | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

I don't normally use it, but I understand it when other people say it (as did Snooky).

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Not a term i read or hear often either so i asked the AI:

"Convo" is a colloquial and abbreviated form of the word "conversation." It is often used in informal contexts, particularly in text messaging, social media, and casual speech. The term is commonly employed to save time and space when communicating quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied

really? since when? - wouldn't 'talk' or 'chat' or another English term be more useful?
    Not a term i read or hear often either so i asked the AI:

"Convo" is a colloquial and abbreviated form of the word "conversation." It is often used in informal contexts, particularly in text messaging, social media, and casual speech. The term is commonly employed to save time and space when communicating quickly.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

"convo" is short for "conversation".

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    is '5 minute convo' a euphemism? what's a convo?
    "convo" is short for "conversation".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X