• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accepted offer but still no contract...."

Collapse

• mattfx
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    3 years later...

So in the end i took the first one, the project i was meant to be working on got cancelled, a manager got sacked, there was a reshuffle and my line manager got moved upstairs within the first week. Nobody noticed i had nothing to do for 5 months and i didn't advertise that fact to them

Good times
    Wow! I hope you got plenty of certs done in that time!

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    3 years later...

So in the end i took the first one, the project i was meant to be working on got cancelled, a manager got sacked, there was a reshuffle and my line manager got moved upstairs within the first week. Nobody noticed i had nothing to do for 5 months and i didn't advertise that fact to them

Good times

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    better than them keep moving the start date...
    Had this on my current gig.

Get job "We need you to start asap"
    "Ok i'll see you tomorrow."
    Err next week is better.
    "Ok i'll see you Monday"
    Actuality can you do the start of the Month?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Well done, see there was a gig after all.

Seriously some gigs are like this, esp with security checks, etc. My last one was like this but what annoyed me was after clearing one set of checks was "oh by the way there's this to sort out as well" Start date kept on getting put back. I threatened to walk and my external contact (not a pimp, client of the client) made the deal more sweeter, so I held on for another 2 weeks and then got on site.

Keep invoicing.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    The first one actually materialised and i start Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If there is no start date then you would not be breaking the contract by starting now, you can just tell them you'll be there in 3 months.

I don't think a contract without a start date is worth very much.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    In fairness it does say in the title that there's no contract, and in the first line that there is no start date. Just verbal acceptance, credit, reference and criminal record checks - all fine (not sure if the CR is finished actually but i can reliably say i don't have a CR). But there's been no movement this week, so most likely the client is either very slow, or i'm back up. Additionally i was originally told i could start before the CR check had finished.

Presumably they have no recourse if i tell them to stuff it.
    Not in your direction, no. The agency or the hiring manager may get a talking to...

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    In fairness it does say in the title that there's no contract, and in the first line that there is no start date. Just verbal acceptance, credit, reference and criminal record checks - all fine (not sure if the CR is finished actually but i can reliably say i don't have a CR). But there's been no movement this week, so most likely the client is either very slow, or i'm back up. Additionally i was originally told i could start before the CR check had finished.

Presumably they have no recourse if i tell them to stuff it.
    Last edited by Robinho; 18 July 2014, 09:38.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But that is what we don't know. I am assuming if the OP is waiting he has signed something. Same goes for all the security checks etc.
    If it is SC, nobody can hurry it up but it only takes a couple of weeks anyway. However, not having clearance doesn't mean you can't start work, it only means the agency and possibly the client don't understand the clearance rules properly (if at all), and it's quite possible they won't give you a formal contract until the clearance comes through rather than waste everyone's time (which they are doing for no good reason...)

Same applies, to a large extent for other clearances. mostly in Finance, but normally you won't get the gig there without the history regardless

Personally I'd take the open one and tell the other lot you can't afford to wait so sorry but I'm out.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Don't run your life based on 'what ifs', otherwise you may well end up with nothing. You have leverage now, tell the agent he has 24 hrs to get it sorted or its dead in the water and you will take the other offer, nothing concentrates an agents mind more than potential loss of commission
    +1

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But that is what we don't know. I am assuming if the OP is waiting he has signed something. Same goes for all the security checks etc.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    A delayed start date doesn't mean it's dead. It happens a lot. Exactly what is the situation with the current option? You have signed the contractand returned it? What security checks? SC? Have they given you a date and it's late or they haven't given one at all. If you are going to breach your contract you need to get the details right.
    You can't breach the contract if you haven't got one with agreed terms.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    A bird in the hand will crap on your wrist.

Take the one that you know is there.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    A delayed start date doesn't mean it's dead. It happens a lot. Exactly what is the situation with the current option? You have signed the contractand returned it? What security checks? SC? Have they given you a date and it's late or they haven't given one at all. If you are going to breach your contract you need to get the details right.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    ...after 2 weeks. No start date, just a lot of IP disclaimers signed, and security checks yet still the pretense that i'm going to be starting there at some point and they're just confirming the start date. Now i have a new offer, less prestigious client/work, better money and have until Monday to decide.

Now of course the first one looks very likely dead so i will obviously take this new one unless anything changes in the next 24 hours. But what if the agent hasn't been stringing me along? what if the client really was just slow getting their tulip together and i get a call asking when i can come start?
    Don't run your life based on 'what ifs', otherwise you may well end up with nothing. You have leverage now, tell the agent he has 24 hrs to get it sorted or its dead in the water and you will take the other offer, nothing concentrates an agents mind more than potential loss of commission

Leave a comment:

Working...
X