• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How Easy for GB to Rejoin"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

OK, so if we're discussing reality and numpties...

Thatcher signed Maastricht, looking to tighten the free trade association conditions and simplify business dealings (but with exceptions like not joining Schengen, for example).

Blair, without a plebiscite, committed the UK to creating the EU federated state 2006 by signing us up to the revised EU constitution. That was what did the damage to our sovereignty.

HTH. BIDI
    While we're being accurate, Major signed the Maastricht treaty (1992), which committed signatories to membership of a federal European state at some vague point in the future. You're also wrong about Blair, as the Lisbon Treaty was famously signed by Gordon Brown (you're a year out, it was 2007) behind closed doors, as even he realised he was signing away UK sovereignty without so much as discussing it in Parliament. I will always be somewhat thankful that for whatever reason (possibly known only to himself) he refused to sign the UK into the Euro.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

How could the EU be called a superstrate? Furthermore, in 1988 Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher made a speech in favour of barrier-free access to the European single market. No doubt your parents voted Tory.

You really show how much of a numpty you really are.
    what do you call a group of countries with a central government, political wing and army?

Oh sorry its an economic market that has absolutely no aspirations to become a superstate... Army?? what army????? do they only allow people with an IQ below 7 to be remainers?

Mrs Thatcher was fooled into thinking a single market was the end game like many others. I liked the idea of a single market until I realised what came with it.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

You claimed "it did the damage to our sovereignty" now you are saying it didn't because we go out in time and you are now doing a Freudian deflect by involving an unrelated subject
    You guys really don't get it do you.

Look at what forum we are in. Read some of the bollocks that's been written here over the last few years. And you're expecting rational, factual discussion?

I've had my fun. Feel free to carry on.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

No I haven't because it hasn't happened, because we ducked out in time and we retained our own currency and we weren't in Schengen. Ask Portugal, Spain and Greece about sovereignty.
    You claimed "it did the damage to our sovereignty" now you are saying it didn't because we go out in time and you are now doing a Freudian deflect by involving an unrelated subject

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Re: How did it do damage to our sovereignty. Can you name some specifics?
    You have none then.
    No I haven't because it hasn't happened, because we ducked out in time and we retained our own currency and we weren't in Schengen. Ask Portugal, Spain and Greece about sovereignty.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Like I said, shouting down a well. Go talk to yourself for a while, then you might get answers you like.
    Re: How did it do damage to our sovereignty. Can you name some specifics?
    You have none then.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You're the one joining a thread about how easy would it be to rejoin.

As for the economy tanking, the only part of the UK that isn't tanking big time is Northern Ireland, which is why Brexiteers want to punish them. How dare they do well because they can trade with the EU!
    Like I said, shouting down a well. Go talk to yourself for a while, then you might get answers you like.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Like shouting down a well, isn't it.

OK, so you're wrong in the key events of the EU membership saga and their impacts, but they still happened. We're also out of the EU now, or hadn't you noticed, and that is not going to be reversed, especially since the EU's overall economy is slowly tanking. So I really don't understand your continuing arguing about it. So I'll stop trying to educate you.
    You're the one joining a thread about how easy would it be to rejoin.

As for the economy tanking, the only part of the UK that isn't tanking big time is Northern Ireland, which is why Brexiteers want to punish them. How dare they do well because they can trade with the EU!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Like shouting down a well, isn't it.

OK, so you're wrong in the key events of the EU membership saga and their impacts, but they still happened. We're also out of the EU now, or hadn't you noticed, and that is not going to be reversed, especially since the EU's overall economy is slowly tanking. So I really don't understand your continuing arguing about it. So I'll stop trying to educate you.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Thatcher signed Maastricht, looking to tighten the free trade association conditions and simplify business dealings (but with exceptions like not joining Schengen, for example).

Blair, without a plebiscite, committed the UK to creating the EU federated state 2006 by signing us up to the revised EU constitution. That was what did the damage to our sovereignty.

HTH. BIDI
    You really need to read your own posts.

They won't help, but I know that.

... there was a step change in the UK's relationship with the EU at Maastricht. Which was done without a referendum, extensive debate (what there was, I seem to remember, was largely against signing) or even much of a mandate. A perfect example of Labour's core philosophy that only the government knows what is best for its electorate.
    Only if you choose to ignore somewhat uncomfortable fact that it was the unilateral signing of the Maastricht treaty by Blair
    We didn't have a referendum on the SEA or on the MT, and you thought that was a disgrace that Labour did this. Now that you are told it wasn't Labour, you're saying that they were really minor.

You've suckled at the Tory teat too long.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

HTH. BIDI
    How did it do damage to our sovereignty. Can you name some specifics?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You're the numpty who thinks Tony Blair signed the Maastricht treaty.

HTH. BIDI

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Nobody is arguing the single market was a bad idea. Equally nobody is supporting the idea of tying our currency to the Mark (which is what the Euro actually is). nor for being tied to a raft of rules and regulations that in many cases don't actually meet the standards the UK had already set. Nobody is arguing about free movement between countries being a bad thing - after all most of our immigration problems are from non-EU countries. Nobody is supporting the EU rules regarding Northern Ireland where goods being exported to the rest of the UK are treated the same as the 4% of goods going in that are to be re-exported to Eire because the EU bureaucracy pretends it can't cope with the difference..

But we bow to your greater knowledge of being a numpty.
    Businesses in NI are quite happy with the protocol apart from the bigots and the Brexiters: https://www.politico.eu/article/irel...in-belfast-uk/

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    You're the numpty who thinks Tony Blair signed the Maastricht treaty.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

How could the EU be called a superstrate? Furthermore, in 1988 Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher made a speech in favour of barrier-free access to the European single market. No doubt your parents voted Tory.

You really show how much of a numpty you really are.
    Nobody is arguing the single market was a bad idea. Equally nobody is supporting the idea of tying our currency to the Mark (which is what the Euro actually is). nor for being tied to a raft of rules and regulations that in many cases don't actually meet the standards the UK had already set. Nobody is arguing about free movement between countries being a bad thing - after all most of our immigration problems are from non-EU countries. Nobody is supporting the EU rules regarding Northern Ireland where goods being exported to the rest of the UK are treated the same as the 4% of goods going in that are to be re-exported to Eire because the EU bureaucracy pretends it can't cope with the difference..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X