• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "And the benefits of Brexit are......."

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Which bit? I genuinely believe most people voted emotionally/idealistically though peoples' ideals were clearly ripe for manipulation.

Beyond that, this subforum is now fair game for any sort of nonsense in my view given Brexit has been and gone. It should be removed
    Just wishful thinking, newspapers still have Brexit as a clickable topic and are constantly reporting on it.

eg.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...hout-fl8php0d0
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 August 2021, 11:50.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Osbourne claiming we'd need an emergency budget to fend off economic meltdown was absolutely a lie, but rarely gets a mention in these parts.
    That's because it's ancient history. A week is a long time in politics.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When you know what you are saying is not true, then it's a lie. Boris at least knew he was lying - and he's very practiced at it. I'd be very surprised if other senior ministers also knew they were lying.

You can tell when a politician is lying. Their lips move.
    Remember when the 'Union' campaign told the Scots the only way of staying in the EU was to vote 'No'? Technically it wasn't a lie, but is widely touted as having been a lie. Osbourne claiming we'd need an emergency budget to fend off economic meltdown was absolutely a lie, but rarely gets a mention in these parts.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Which bit? I genuinely believe most people voted emotionally/idealistically though peoples' ideals were clearly ripe for manipulation.

Beyond that, this subforum is now fair game for any sort of nonsense in my view given Brexit has been and gone. It should be removed
    Fair enough

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Do you really believe this, or just trolling?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

That was just marketing, although "misleading projection" or "overly optimistic projection" is a more accurate term depending if you think they knew their projections were bunk, or really believed it.

But even then it's about being "in a position to be economically successful off our own bat, unencumbered by others' rules" which ultimately comes back to identity and ego at the root. Everything else comes from that.
    Do you really believe this, or just trolling?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

That was just marketing, although "misleading projection" or "overly optimistic projection" is a more accurate term depending if you think they knew their projections were bunk, or really believed it.
    When you know what you are saying is not true, then it's a lie. Boris at least knew he was lying - and he's very practiced at it. I'd be very surprised if other senior ministers also knew they were lying.

You can tell when a politician is lying. Their lips move.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

And lies about how economically great it would be.

But even then it's about being "in a position to be economically successful off our own bat, unencumbered by others' rules" which ultimately comes back to identity and ego at the root. Everything else comes from that.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Are you unfamiliar with IT?!

I didn't say I agreed with it. But that IS what Brexit is about. Pride/ego/patriotism/willy-waving. Just like Scottish independence.
    And lies about how economically great it would be.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

How did you being such a poorly educated person get a job in IT?
    Are you unfamiliar with IT?!

I didn't say I agreed with it. But that IS what Brexit is about. Pride/ego/patriotism/willy-waving. Just like Scottish independence.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Was it was? Drinking early today? No, it wasn't. Those were just tactics. It wasn't about immigration either.
    It "was it was" about non-tangible things such as national pride and all that stuff.
    How did you being such a poorly educated person get a job in IT?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Was it was? Drinking early today? No, it wasn't. Those were just tactics. It wasn't about immigration either.
    It "was it was" about non-tangible things such as national pride and all that stuff.
    This needs to be in the brexit joke thread

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Was it was never about economic benefits written on the side of a bus?
    No most Brexiters arguments, it boils down to immigration.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    It was never about economic benefits, they're just the icing on the cake (or not).
    Although it's pretty hard to establish after such a short time what the effects really will be, especially when the world has been shut the entire time.
    Was it was never about economic benefits written on the side of a bus?
    No most Brexiters arguments, it boils down to immigration.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It was never about economic benefits, they're just the icing on the cake (or not).
    Although it's pretty hard to establish after such a short time what the effects really will be, especially when the world has been shut the entire time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X