• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Damn you would have thought the remainers might have said something"

Collapse

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Sadly yes, but our resident slavers will appreciate that.
    you can have the most unimaginable conditions coming through, dire health and employment situations, you know like what you get during a pandemic, but if the house prices are supposed to correct even a slightly that is preposterous

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Looks like the wage increases will be wiped out by inflation.

http://ttps://www.express.co.uk/fina...s-cash-UK-2021
    Sadly yes, but our resident slavers will appreciate that.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Looks like the wage increases will be wiped out by inflation.

http://ttps://www.express.co.uk/fina...s-cash-UK-2021

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ns1 View Post

You're just making this crap up. They had to pay tax/ni before Brexit. No requirement to be employed.

As for the pound, it's still weak. its stronger than before Brexit its weaker than before the War!

OK I'll Admit it, I have no clue what I am posting
    FTFY

Hmm

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do...tlement-scheme

'I won't be able to stay if I make less than £30,000 per year'

There is no employment or income requirement to apply for pre-Settled Status or Settled Status.

In fact, you will not have been asked to declare your income or confirm you were in employment when you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme. The application only considered whether you were resident in the UK, the length of your residence in the UK, and checks if you have criminal convictions. Therefore, you should have applied even if you were unemployed, in receipt of benefits, or were in low paid employment.

There are employment and income requirements for EU citizens who want to come and work in the UK for the first time from 01 January 2021, but this does not affect anyone who is eligible for a status under the EU Settlement Scheme or eligible joining family members. You can read more about the new immigration system on the Hub.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterBates View Post

3 million, and I wonder how many have gone home.
    Wrong as usual

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...post-brexit-uk
    LONDON —

More than 6 million European Union citizens in the U.K. applied to maintain their residency before the end-of-Wednesday deadline that the British government imposed as part of the country’s departure from the bloc, officials said Friday.

Britain’s Home Office said that of the 6.02 million people who had applied, 400,000 applications were made in the final month before the end of the EU Settlement Scheme.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Pound is back to 2011 level (before Brexit vote).

They have to get a Visa now and pay tax.

6 million know they are hated so much they have applied for permanent residency.
    3 million, and I wonder how many have gone home.

Leave a comment:

• ns1
    replied

6 million know they are hated so much they have applied for permanent residency.
    You're just making this crap up. They had to pay tax/ni before Brexit.

As for the pound, it's still weak.

Admit it, you just don't like johnny foreigners do you?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Oy, it's not that easy to quit ..... if we have to read Vetran's drivel then so do you!
    It's easy to leave- change your password to one you don't know then logout.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

can someone please ban me? I no longer want to come and read this nonsense every day.
    Oy, it's not that easy to quit ..... if we have to read Vetran's drivel then so do you!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

The pound was hardly strong in 2011.

The heyday for migrant workers was the early 2000s. Between 2000 and 2007 (prior to the GFC), the pound never fell below 1.40 and was quite often above 1.50, even briefly topping 1.70. After the GFC it settled well below 1.20.

By 2015, it had recovered most of the lost ground and was back up around 1.40.

The Brexit vote saw it immediately fall back to post-GFC levels well below 1.20 again.

Click on All.
    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ba...GBP/GBP-to-EUR

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

can someone please ban me? I no longer want to come and read this nonsense every day.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

In which case, many will probably vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

Ever since the Brexit vote, I've heard it's got harder to recruit EU migrants to work over here. A combination of feeling like they wouldn't be welcome and the weaker pound.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

From what I understand the new workers are being exploited because they're tied to the employer and they have no opportunity to move. The previous EU migrants used to return every year and were quite happy with the working conditions.

So looks like the new immigration rules have created a situation of even lower wages and more exploitation.

In which case, many will probably vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

Ever since the Brexit vote, I've heard it's got harder to recruit EU migrants to work over here. A combination of feeling like they wouldn't be welcome and the weaker pound.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

From what I understand the new workers are being exploited because they're tied to the employer and they have no opportunity to move. The previous EU migrants used to return every year and were quite happy with the working conditions.

So looks like the new immigration rules have created a situation of even lower wages and more exploitation.

who could have thought of that? the boys have been putting a good fight for them, they did not vote out of pure ignorance and xenophobia.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/busin...orkers-in-2021

"The number of workers permitted to travel to the UK to pick and package fruit and vegetables is to treble in 2021, as part of an expanded Seasonal Workers Scheme."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X