• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Yorkshire lobster exporter says Brexit costs have forced it to close"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I'm still waiting for native british lobster to appear in the supermarket. All I ever see is frozen Canadian rubbish.

Well you can luckily buy Cornish blue at "cost price" of £16 a kilo down from £24 retail. Oddly Tesco are selling on their website in 100g quantities :- Shropshire Blue at £12.30 a kilo, Blacksticks Blue at £13.34, Barnstone blue at £13/K, Stilton £11.63.

Or maybe people are taking advantage of the situation and charging top dollar?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    According to the article, he voted to remain.
    Ah, ok, feel sorry for him then.

I don't read the articles, I just comment on them

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I'm still waiting for native british lobster to appear in the supermarket. All I ever see is frozen Canadian rubbish.
    He's probably not happy for it for right now.

back on topic: you are probably not shopping in the right place. and supermarkerts dictate what you can put on the table and what not.

you won't find quality food in mainstream supermarkets because the old boys club fears you will get used to it and ask for more of that. then they can't sell you junk for an hefty price. it's just how monopolies work.

for people that are sceptical, just look what France, Norway, Sweden or at least a good part of EU have on their shelves. you'd see better quality products.

please spare me the nonsense that people just are cheap and just want that. Someone is making the decisions for them. Always.
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 10 February 2021, 21:57.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    So I guess brexit worked out well for the lobsters...

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Did he, his family and his workers vote out in 2016? If so ... they got exactly what they voted for.
    According to the article, he voted to remain.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Annoyingly with all these business going bust we’re not going to get cheap fish either.
    The fishing rights will be sold to the EU fishermen (again, like they did in 70s and 80s) for a reduced price.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Did he, his family and his workers vote out in 2016? If so ... they got exactly what they voted for.
    Most likely.

If so, **** ‘em.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    This is the Official thread, ask darmy - he knows the difference

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Government has not been straight with fishing industry, says Sam Baron of Baron Shellfish, Bridlington

A lobster exporter who is winding up his 60-year-old family business has blamed the government for failing to be honest about Brexit red tape and hidden costs.

Sam Baron, who worked alongside his father to set up Baron Shellfish in Bridlington, east Yorkshire, said that the government has failed to be straight with the fishing industry.

Industry experts said that Baron Shellfish, the first lobster-tank business in Europe’s largest shellfish port, appears to be the first big exporter to have announced its closure.

“It is all Brexit-related – the extra costs, extra paperwork and the extra gamble, and it is down to the government and the EU.

“Every time you send out transport with lobster, it is like playing Russian roulette with five bullets in your gun.”

Yorkshire lobster exporter says Brexit costs have forced it to close | Brexit | The Guardian
    Kuatb https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2859131

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    SURPRISE!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I thought lobster were from open waters. Learned a new thing.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire lobster exporter says Brexit costs have forced it to close

"Government has not been straight with fishing industry, says Sam Baron of Baron Shellfish, Bridlington

A lobster exporter who is winding up his 60-year-old family business has blamed the government for failing to be honest about Brexit red tape and hidden costs.

Sam Baron, who worked alongside his father to set up Baron Shellfish in Bridlington, east Yorkshire, said that the government has failed to be straight with the fishing industry.

Industry experts said that Baron Shellfish, the first lobster-tank business in Europe’s largest shellfish port, appears to be the first big exporter to have announced its closure.

“It is all Brexit-related – the extra costs, extra paperwork and the extra gamble, and it is down to the government and the EU.

“Every time you send out transport with lobster, it is like playing Russian roulette with five bullets in your gun.”

Yorkshire lobster exporter says Brexit costs have forced it to close | Brexit | The Guardian

Working...
X