• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The UK's New Open Door Immigration Policy"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I think little will change with respect to immigration, other than you won't get served in a coffee shop.
    Very little will change but the Tories won't be able to blame the EU now.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    And from personal experience I can say the EU emigrants that I have come across working in coffee shops and as cleaners are very hard working compared with most Brits and others.
    At least the cleaners and coffee shop workers are doing something good that helps me. I only object to the mountains of tax credits I have to pay to them.

What really get’s my goat is all these bright, hard-working, highly skilled, badly paid Europeans coming over. I am none of those things, so how exactly am I supposed to compete?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Of the 3.8 million Europeans living in the UK 3.2 million are in highly skilled jobs, of the 600,000 in unskilled jobs, the majority are in essential jobs such as health care, driving trucks and working in food processing plants. The ones that everyone complains about are the 200,000 low skilled working in coffee shops and as cleaners. Most of the unskilled actually have degrees and are in temporary jobs simply trying to improve their English.

I think little will change with respect to immigration, other than you won't get served in a coffee shop.
    And from personal experience I can say the EU emigrants that I have come across working in coffee shops and as cleaners are very hard working compared with most Brits and others.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Of the 3.8 million Europeans living in the UK 3.2 million are in highly skilled jobs, of the 600,000 in unskilled jobs, the majority are in essential jobs such as health care, driving trucks and working in food processing plants. The ones that everyone complains about are the 200,000 low skilled working in coffee shops and as cleaners. Most of the unskilled actually have degrees and are in temporary jobs simply trying to improve their English.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Should be more like £65,200, apart from temp. seasonal workers and those we really need to drive a high tech. economy.
    Why do you want to destroy the livelihoods of the talented hardworking people who earn more than £65,200?

Look in the mirror before answering.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I still remember the points based highly skilled visa fiasco. Visas were handed out en masse for thousands without proper checks
    Not initially, I know since I had it...

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I still remember the points based highly skilled visa fiasco. Visas were handed out en masse for thousands without proper checks and they flooded the market bringing the IT salaries way down. They even crashed the contracting market after a year of slaving. I feel this change will have a much bigger impact on the IT sector. The flood gates are opened. Pretty much every Indian IT company is readying their troops to apply for the visa and ship them out here on 25k salary. The effect will be devastating. I fear we may never recover from this tsunami.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    There will be 2.5 million unemployed by next year. Last thing we need is mass cheap labour.

Bank of England warns UK unemployment will hit 2.5m after Covid-19 slump – as it happened | Business | The Guardian

Retrain the poor sods who lose their jobs, its cheaper than paying them benefits.
    It's a result of Brexit

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    People are forgetting and focussing only on salary but previously, the deterrent was the red tape put by the EU. Company acting as sponsor, criterias for company, paperwork and fees. They still abused it but it was a lot more cumbersome.
    Lets see how the future looks but that is what I would pe particularly careful about.

The whole shenanigans: immigration, border controls, passports could be a ploy to show the other party (and own people) that steps are taken in that direction. Maybe those policies were never intended to be put in place.
    Or at least a part of me trully hopes so.

Well... hasn’t it always been that the rulling class brings in migrants to depress salaries and motivate people?
    If you say people don’t want to wash cars on minimum wage. It is true, but I think plenty would on a 2xmin wage.
    World it is not a fair place, it has never been.
    I think they might allow the people already here to have access to some other opportunities or people will have to find a new home. Or at least the people bothered by that.
    You can’t possibly live on 30k in S unless you own your own home or live in a slum...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It appears that immigration to the UK will be easier after 1st January.

Visa applications will be on line and all that is needed is , to be proficient in English, and earn at least £25,600.
    There will be no limit on the number of visas issued.

So the local takeaway can offer a job as chef at £25,600, deduct costs of accommodation, flights etc and that's it.
    Takeaway chefs are hardly going to lead to rampant immigration

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    £ 25k is important for Rishi’s wife’s father’s InfoSys company, so that will be happening and by way of keeping it fair British IT contractors will get extra taxes until it brings them closer to £ 25k salary mark

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So the local takeaway can offer a job as chef at £25,600, deduct costs of accommodation, flights etc and that's it.
    That's a relief. I'd hate to not be able to get a decent takeaway when I visit the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Well maybe that will save us, but Covid has done more damage than any other recession so far.
    Brexit will see the UK through the choppy waters just fine. President Trump has promised that the UK will be front of the queue for a trade deal with the USA.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So much for the Brexit economic boom.

Well maybe that will save us, but Covid has done more damage than any other recession so far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X