• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexiters - you lost, get over it."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    It will never get through parliament.
    It's treason then.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Labour/SNP/DUP/50+ Tories won't vote it through.
    They will if May gets the sequence right.

Put through a vote for No Deal first. Assumptions are that Parliament will not vote for No Deal as this is too damaging to the country. If this is found to be true in a parliamentary vote, then it is off the table.

By then we’re at Christmas. There is no alternative - legally, we exit the EU on March 29 regardless of whether there is a signed WA or not, and if there is not a signed WA then there is No Deal, which Parliament have voted against....

There is literally no other deal on the table. Dress it up in something fancy, put some lipstick on it, and it will be forced through Parliament.

The other alternative is another referendum. But a referendum on what? With No Deal removed by Parliament, there are only two alternatives - Deal, or Remain. A referendum requires legislation and preparation which will take us past Mar 29, so it also requires unanimous agreement from the EU 27 to extend the A50 deadline.

Assuming all that happens, what do the politicians then campaign for? Remain? They’ve spent the last 2 years trying to make us all believe they are Leavers. The Deal? They can’t vote for it themselves, so they’re not likely to campaign for this.

Parliament have snookered themselves. This WA is all that we’ve got.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Yes it will. There is no other alternative that Parliament is willing to accept.

Labour/SNP/DUP/50+ Tories won't vote it through.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Yes it will. There is no other alternative that Parliament is willing to accept.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    May's put some finishing touches to the deal that will appeal to Brexiteers, so it has no advantages as it ties the UK into Brussels regulations but as a sop to the Brexiteers, trade will be much harder so they get a bit of the "hair shirt" they've been looking for, so that their dislike of the EU will have some tangible justification.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I imagine this is just the thin end of the wedge.
    You're getting really good at these logical fallacies. The Skeptic's Field Guide: Slippery Slope

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    May's put some finishing touches to the deal that will appeal to Brexiteers, so it has no advantages as it ties the UK into Brussels regulations but as a sop to the Brexiteers, trade will be much harder so they get a bit of the "hair shirt" they've been looking for, so that their dislike of the EU will have some tangible justification.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Avoids the question, unless your answer to the question “what do you want to do outside the EU that you can’t do inside it” is “copyright theft, innit”

Two years on, and all you’ve got is “I imagine....”. I thought you were after hard facts now, and not opinions?
    Maybe he was referring to the John Lennon song ....

"Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion, too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace..."

Then again, he's a Brexiter so he likes the idea of countries and boundaries to keep people tied to where they were born, rather than humans sharing the world together. He, like many, are happy to be controlled by our overlords based on some arbitrary lines drawn on a map.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Avoids the question, unless your answer to the question “what do you want to do outside the EU that you can’t do inside it” is “copyright theft, innit”

Two years on, and all you’ve got is “I imagine....”. I thought you were after hard facts now, and not opinions?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    So any mash up will be blocked

such as this

Or do you enjoy your game reviews on YouTube?

edit can only post one video link.

Nope that will be gone as well because it is youtube who are responsible - in fact because I have posted these videos here CUK will be responsible.

And so no body is going to put anything online for fear of breaching copyright

And so the only channels you will get are the official ones run by the government which will be telling you what they want you to believe, what they want you to think and what you are allowed to do.

Brexit may not make everything better tomorrow but it is better than the future offered by the EU.
    FFS, you really are scared of your own shadow aren't you? Grow some, you might start to enjoy life more!

As for copyright theft, which is what your link is really about, let's spin it slightly. Let's assume you're smart enough to build a piece of software (I'm assuming you won't need SQL skills for these as you showed on another thread that these are lacking ... I digress) and people want to buy this. You sell it to some users, then you find out that one of these users has taken your software and is re-selling it to others but that you are not seeing any profit from this. You haven't given this user permission. Would you be OK with this? Go on, answer truthfully, then explain why music artists or others should accept the same.

With reasoning like this I can see why you voted Brexit

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

such as this

Nope that will be gone as well because it is youtube who are responsible - in fact because I have posted these videos here CUK will be responsible.

And so the only channels you will get are the official ones run by the government which will be telling you what they want you to believe, what they want you to think and what you are allowed to do.

Brexit may not make everything better tomorrow but it is better than the future offered by the EU.
    I repeat my question, and make it even simpler, since you chose to avoid answering it: do you think theft is perfectly acceptable?

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    It ain't goin to happen

Brexit may not have made everything better the next day but it would have been better than the future offered by the EU.
    FTTFY (Fixed The Tense For You)

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Are you saying that stopping the theft of copyrighted material is a bad thing?

That video is actually a good example of a carefully scripted piece that is supposed to sound like it gives all the facts, but doesn't. It starts off with the scare story "We may have to block Youtube in your country".

Well, no. Where copyrighted material has been stolen without the copyright owner's permission, then why do you have a problem with it being refused?

If someone creates/owns a piece of media, it only takes a couple of seconds to apply a creative commons copyright to it... When we share, everyone wins - Creative Commons
    Any artist knows that.

When he talks about "creators" who use other material - like putting up a video and using music recorded by a band, he's talking about the theft of copyrighted material. Snowflakes don't like that term, they say that it is increasing the exposure of the artist - no it isn't. It's associating the artist with the thief's brand. When he their monetises his video, how much of it does he give to the artist?

such as this

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

What is Article 13 and Article 11? The EU'''s "meme ban" copyright plan explained | WIRED UK

and I seriously recommend you watch the video from youtbe

Are you saying that stopping the theft of copyrighted material is a bad thing?

That video is actually a good example of a carefully scripted piece that is supposed to sound like it gives all the facts, but doesn't. It starts off with the scare story "We may have to block Youtube in your country".

Well, no. Where copyrighted material has been stolen without the copyright owner's permission, then why do you have a problem with it being refused?

If someone creates/owns a piece of media, it only takes a couple of seconds to apply a creative commons copyright to it... When we share, everyone wins - Creative Commons
    Any artist knows that.

When he talks about "creators" who use other material - like putting up a video and using music recorded by a band, he's talking about the theft of copyrighted material. Snowflakes don't like that term, they say that it is increasing the exposure of the artist - no it isn't. It's associating the artist with the thief's brand. When he their monetises his video, how much of it does he give to the artist?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    At the risk of sounding repetitive, what is it that you want to do that you couldn’t do inside the EU?

Are you getting a group together so we can “pull together and create a better environment”? What does this better environment look like, so that we know we’re all pulling in the same direction?

What is Article 13 and Article 11? The EU'''s "meme ban" copyright plan explained | WIRED UK

and I seriously recommend you watch the video from youtbe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X