• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Michel Barnier says he strongly opposes May's Brexit trade proposal"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Fair enough, keep cherry picking unsubstantiated gossip articles if they support what you want to hear, without any further critical thought.
    Its the remoaner way

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Fair enough, keep cherry picking unsubstantiated gossip articles if they support what you want to hear, without any further critical thought.
    How do you know what I want to hear?

I voted remain.

You can keep jumping to conclusions, failing to reflect on why the vote went the way it did and acting hysterically as if the worlds going to end.

In the meantime, I'll prepare my business for no-deal and be ready to take any advantages that arise or mitigate any downside that materialises.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Aren't they all?

No, I was just quoting the article. If the EU thinks we'll save billions if we are not bound by current EU regulations on services then who am I to argue?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Interesting article, though short on substance.
    Aren't they all?

Save £££billions? Sounds like you're still living in 2017. Have a go at the following on a back of a fag packet:
    No, I was just quoting the article. If the EU thinks we'll save billions if we are not bound by current EU regulations on services then who am I to argue?

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    The end of the EU??? Surely not, I thought we were only a little country and couldn't possibly cause "The end" of the EU. United as it is in the quest for ever-closer-union.

Still I like this article : https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...ness-billions/
    Interesting article, though short on substance. 7 "unspecified" regulations? It would be interesting to see what those were to be able to do a proper cost assessment, but I doubt that you'd get that sort of detail out of Open Europe.

It is entirely possible, though, that those regulations might be things along the lines of "only member states can offer services within the EU", where if the EU got rid of those regulations it would save (an external third country like) Britain billions. Possible to remove this regulation, but not likely.

Of course, I'm only speculating, but that's only because your link is so vague. Presumably if Open Europe had any actual detail it would be in the Express by now.

So if Chequers is agreed, then the UK becomes a vassal state ( according to Boris ) and also ends the EU ( according to Barnier ) and also saves ££££billions ( according to the briefing ).

Whereas if we don't agree on Chequers then ..... we are still free of EU regulation so save ££££billions and of course because there was no negotiated exit agreed don't pony up the £40b exit fee.

Tricky one. Decisions, decisions.
    Save £££billions? Sounds like you're still living in 2017. Have a go at the following on a back of a fag packet:

Take the amount that we send (inclusive or exclusive of rebate, doesn't matter)
    Take off the rebate if you didn't do it above
    Take off the amount of CAP that British agriculture and rural areas gets back*
    Take off the amount of regional development finance that gets issued to UK regions*
    Take off the ongoing additional costs of agencies that were previously run by EU funding (EMA, etc)

That's your saving, just to stand still, without factoring in any trade.

*yes, of course you can now do what you want with this instead of CAP or regional funding, but if you're now giving it to Peter it's only because you're taking it off Paul, not because it's an EU saving.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So, who would you choose to believe - a lying scumbag politician who doubles up as a clown, or Barnier?
    Aren't they the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why would I want to leave my friends, family and home? I like it here.
    To feed them by sending them 100 euros per month, should be around 10 grand local currency after Brexit

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Why would they work for you in a failed state when they'll be able to make lots more money to emigrating to EU?
    Why would I want to leave my friends, family and home? I like it here.

... anyway enough chat. Gotta business to run.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Hey, if there are lots of unemployed developers then I'll be happy. It's the biggest constraint on growth.
    Why would they work for you in a failed state when they'll be able to make lots more money to emigrating to EU?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    A fast one? If after 2 years they cannot agree on an amicable, mutually beneficial deal, then that's that. There is no "fast one".
    Mutually beneficial will be 90% of what the EU wants to 10% of what the UK would like, probably after many years in some sort or transitional purgatory.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Yeah, it's not your problem because you never buy any Consumer products?
    From a business perspective, no.

As a consumer. Of course, but then it's the problem of the company I buy the item from. They may pass on any price increase to me but then I'd expect them to also scour the world to source similar products from different suppliers. That's what the smart ones will do. And if they don't? Someone else will.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The UK maybe about to find out what happens when you try and pull a fast one on a big trading block.

A fast one? If after 2 years they cannot agree on an amicable, mutually beneficial deal, then that's that. There is no "fast one".

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    For you and me, but not lots of guys who will be unemployed and who'll be bricking our Ferraries...
    Hey, if there are lots of unemployed developers then I'll be happy. It's the biggest constraint on growth.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Snap, we're 100% service-based and 100% B2B. So I don't see any issues arising.
    For you and me, but not lots of guys who will be unemployed and who'll be bricking our Ferraries...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    B2C looks more complicated but is not a concern for me as I don't do B2C.
    Yeah, it's not your problem because you never buy any Consumer products?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X