• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 review confirmed"

Collapse

• jimjamuk
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Well, if thats the case, just assume you are in and pay the tax. Obviously you do care, otherwise you would just be doing that already.
    No I dont care what they change it to - they could say it 99% tax if you in as long as they define what in means

That way once you know the rules you can decide if you want to play or not

Leave a comment:

• SofaKingdom
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

All I keep seeing is moans about "they're trying to tax us more by making us all employees". It's not about that, and never has been.
    I agree. Have been telling you lot for ages that you need a company brochure.

Denny

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's not about tax it's about NICs. Subtle difference. It's also not about employee vs non-employee, it's about being in business as an independent supplier of services against being someone pretending to be to take advantage of corporate taxation levels. If, for example, you could say you were a business and in exchange would not be looking for employee benefits from the government such as maternity benefits or Tax Credits or JSA, would that be a fair exchange?

All I keep seeing is moans about "they're trying to tax us more by making us all employees". It's not about that, and never has been.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by JulesInch View Post
    I read about the IR35 review. I think they're as likely to drop it as they are to get rid of duty on a pack of fags.
    Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds
    Aye.

Leave a comment:

• JulesInch
    replied
    Originally posted by blacksheep View Post
    +1

IR35 is a complicated pain in the neck, that I've never really understood and just tried to work around/get contract reviews/be careful etc... but its still a gamble. Making things clearer is definitely a good thing
    True, but it's not in the coalition's interest to make it clearer how a contractor can pay less tax, is it?

Leave a comment:

• JulesInch
    replied
    I read about the IR35 review. I think they're as likely to drop it as they are to get rid of duty on a pack of fags.
    Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Always, better the devil you know. It can only get worse from here.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I would have thought most of us would be dreading a review. The number of contracts that might look out of IR35 but are plainly hidden employee's at total direction of the client must be phenomenal and therefore the govt loses on tax and the contractor gains. All these people would not welcome a review I would have thought?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
    thing is - I dont actually care what they change it to as long as its clear whether you are in or out
    Well, if thats the case, just assume you are in and pay the tax. Obviously you do care, otherwise you would just be doing that already.

Leave a comment:

• blacksheep
    replied
    +1

IR35 is a complicated pain in the neck, that I've never really understood and just tried to work around/get contract reviews/be careful etc... but its still a gamble. Making things clearer is definitely a good thing

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    What he said...

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    thing is - I dont actually care what they change it to as long as its clear whether you are in or out

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Some people will definitely be paying less tax. Whether we'll be amongst them or not... maybe it will even depend how profitable you are. A 1-man company grossing £100k profit could quite sensibly be classified for higher tax, a self-employed person bringing in £30k, it's a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by government
    We will review IR 35, as part of a wholesale review of all small business taxation, and seek to replace it with simpler measures that prevent tax avoidance but do not place undue administrative burdens or uncertainty on the self-employed, or restrict labour market flexibility.
    Oh great. So they will review it in such a way that we pay LESS TAX??? Umm, I don't think so, they will make it more "fair" so we will end up paying more. Betcha.

Leave a comment:

• Sally BFCA
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
    Whatever it is, I'm sure will be able to pick it to bits.
    It will keep us on our toes. I'm rather bored with IR35 now, need a new challenge!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X