• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Going direct with client"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Or the Agency may complain but do nothing and you carry on with the End Client as before, we can’t say for definite one way or the other, just provide possible options.

And I think with Lance’s advice that’s as far as we can go with this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by MollyDolly View Post

I am just trying to find out how Agency can stop me taking this route as they are the only one who has not been consulted yet by me or End Client and since neither of us have a contract with Agency so we have no need to consult with Agency.
    They cannot stop you as slavery was abolished over 200 years ago.
    However they could attempt to sue the IT provider for lost revenue.
    Let's say that there is £500 a day, for a 3 month contract, that is £30k.

Are the IT support provider willing to take that risk?
    Has the letter that's been written been through the IT Support provider's legal team?

There's lots that can go wrong. None of it may go wrong.
    The fact you're querying suggest you're not sure. You could end up with nothing.
    This is all about risk.

Leave a comment:

• MollyDolly
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

The contract will be between the agent and the umbrella. It's a chain with a contract between each party. Client Agent Umbrella you.

I see there is some other notes about the situation after you posted that which I haven't read but the above is generally how it works.

I can't believe the client hasn't signed a contract or has some kind of memorandum of understanding. How do you know this as it isn't your business?
    There is a contract between Umbrella and Agency but I am not abide by their contract as I am only abide by my contract with Umbrella.
    Client has contract with IT Support Provider and not Agency. Even if there is any contract between Agency and Client (not possible but for arguments sake lets say there is any such contract), why should I worry about their contract? Its End Client who should worry about this and not me. End Client is ready to work direct with me as they have got it in written from IT Support Provider.

I am just trying to find out how Agency can stop me taking this route as they are the only one who has not been consulted yet by me or End Client and since neither of us have a contract with Agency so we have no need to consult with Agency.

Leave a comment:

• MollyDolly
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

It is entirely possible that the agency kicks up so much of a stink with the IT Support Provider that your move to the end client becomes impossible.
    When you say the IT Support Provider is happy for you to direct, is that verbal? Or in writing? And if the latter does it align with/agree with any contractual terms the IT Support Provider has with the agency and/or the client?
    IT Support Provider has given it in writing to End Client. I do not care what the Agency does with IT Support Provider as its a matter between those two parties. As long as End Client is ready to take me direct (via my LTD or a new Umbrella) why should I worry about Agency/ IT Support Provider? If anyone should be worried about the terms of contract between Agency, IT Suppport Provider and End Clinet should be End Client and not me.

How is it different if tomorrow I would have joined let's say ABCXYG Consultancy Limited (hypothetical new IT Consultancy) as Permanent Employee who then supply me to End Client? How can Agency or IT Support Provider stop this?
    Last edited by MollyDolly; 25 May 2022, 14:29.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Neither me nor end client have signed any contract with Agency so how any handcuff clause will apply? How would agency protect their business interest in this case?
    The contract will be between the agent and the umbrella. It's a chain with a contract between each party. Client <contract> Agent <contract> Umbrella <contract> you.

I see there is some other notes about the situation after you posted that which I haven't read but the above is generally how it works.

I can't believe the client hasn't signed a contract or has some kind of memorandum of understanding. How do you know this as it isn't your business?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

The IT support provider should have a contract with End Client but same IT Support Provider has confirmed to end client that they will let me go direct with End Client for free. The End Client cares only what IT Support Provider agrees with them and not about the contract between agency and IT support Provider as it’s upto IT Support Provider to sort out with Agency.
    It is entirely possible that the agency kicks up so much of a stink with the IT Support Provider that your move to the end client becomes impossible.
    When you say the IT Support Provider is happy for you to direct, is that verbal? Or in writing? And if the latter does it align with/agree with any contractual terms the IT Support Provider has with the agency and/or the client?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Neither me nor end client have signed any contract with Agency so how any handcuff clause will apply? How would agency protect their business interest in this case?
    Jesus. You contract does not exist in a vacuum. Somewhere up the line will be a contract between the agency and the client(s) that covers off losing their commission. Your contract will be within its scope.

And if it goes to IR35 (old or new) all those intermediate contracts will be ignored anyway. It's your relationship with the end client that will matter.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Why do you think that end client will not accept me using umbrella?
    Also, would I have any risk if I open a LTD company and sign outside IR35 contract with end client?
    Because it’s outside of the norm. End clients either ban PSCs/put contractors inside and therefore use umbrellas or offer outside and expect to work with Ltds.

And as for risk, HMRC will see that you’ve moved from umbrella to Ltd, and as they are trying to get contractors to go from Ltd to umbrella they may well take an interest in your change of circumstance.

Anyway, I feel that we are beginning to repeat ourselves here - I would advise that you go back and reread this thread.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

The IT support provider should have a contract with End Client but same IT Support Provider has confirmed to end client that they will let me go direct with End Client for free. The End Client cares only what IT Support Provider agrees with them and not about the contract between agency and IT support Provider as it’s upto IT Support Provider to sort out with Agency.
    Have you discussed this with the IT Support provider?
    Have you discussed it with the umbrella and the agency?
    Have you got written confirmation from each of the businesses in the chain that there is no clause which prevents you from going direct?

While you might say that it's up to the IT Support Provider to sort it out with the agency, if there are clauses in the contracts, they will come to you looking for their lost revenue.

Leave a comment:

• MollyDolly
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You gave the flow of the contracts in your first post. The agency has signed a contract with the IT service provider, and the IT service provider will have signed a contract with the end client.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

You gave the flow of the contracts in your first post. The agency has signed a contract with the IT service provider, and the IT service provider will have signed a contract with the end client.

Leave a comment:

• MollyDolly
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's the agency that will have the handcuff and will block any direct engagement as it is them that will lose commission, not the umbrella. They are just a payment vehicle and won't care.

Leave a comment:

• MollyDolly
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    In that case, it will be a different contract.

Resign from your current umbrella and go with a legitimate umbrella that is acceptable to you and the end client.

There’s normally a clause in your agency contract that tries to stop this but since you only have a contract with the umbrella, I can’t see how it applies.

(But saying that, I’ll bet that the end client won’t accept you using an umbrella, so the posts above this one still applies…)
    Why do you think that end client will not accept me using umbrella?
    Also, would I have any risk if I open a LTD company and sign outside IR35 contract with end client?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    In that case, it will be a different contract.

Resign from your current umbrella and go with a legitimate umbrella that is acceptable to you and the end client.

There’s normally a clause in your agency contract that tries to stop this but since you only have a contract with the umbrella, I can’t see how it applies.

(But saying that, I’ll bet that the end client won’t accept you using an umbrella, so the posts above this one still applies…)

Leave a comment:

• MollyDolly
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    what makes you think it's outside IR35?
    Cojak is correct in that it can't be outside IR35 due to you being employed by an umbrella. But for some reason you think it is. How is that?

Have you seen an SDS that says outside?
    Who is the end client on you contract, the support provider or the end client?

With so little information that answer is that you shouldn't pursue this. On the face of it you will be quitting employment to go contracting for the simple reason to gain a tax advantage. That is right in the target area of what IR35 is intended to stop. So if you are noticed I'd say it's a slam dunk win for HMRC.
    My contract was originally outside IR35 only but I chose to go with an umbrella company. Even now, I am thinking to work through an umbrella company only but the Agency and IT Support Provider will not be in chain.
    In my current contract with Umbrella, the client is mentioned as IT Support Provider. The true end client name is no where in my contract. My assignment details contain name of the Agency. There is no tax saving angle in my pursuit of this route. The End Client has asked for this route and they have agreed with IT Support Provider that IT Support Provider will let me go free and work directly with End Client.

I am wondering how Agency would be able to stop this arrangement? I can simply resign from my current umbrella and go to a new umbrella who signs a contract with end client. Can the agency create any issue here? I am on a monthly payment terms with Agency so if I do this and if agency is unhappy, can they stop my last month's payment? I am sure Agencies would have a way to protect their business interest but I am unable to figure it out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X