• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dispensing With Accountants"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SallySageAccounting View Post

Great to be back, it's been six yrs! Nice to see you're still here :-)
    Thank but you very few people would agree with that sentiment

Leave a comment:

• SallySageAccounting
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Welcome to CUK Sally
    Great to be back, it's been six yrs! Nice to see you're still here :-)

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Quite.

If I go contracting again I won’t be rushing out to look for an accountant. The last one gave me no value whatsoever.

it will either be FreeAgent or QuickFile for me.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. And if you can get FreeAgent thrown in for free with your bank account, happy days.

For my very simple indeed side hustle Ltd Co, QuickFile was brilliant. I think given the increasingly advanced features of Freeagent, I suspect that takes things to another level again.

Happy to discuss my experience of DIY further by PM if anyone cares to.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Quite.

If I go contracting again I won’t be rushing out to look for an accountant. The last one gave me no value whatsoever.

it will either be FreeAgent or QuickFile for me.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Given that FreeAgent can submit my tax return and can even do a CT600 where do you get the idea that an accountant will be required.

Heck some of the small business banks already have built in accounting software and that will be all that is required going forward for most people.

I seriously expect the need for accountants will go down when these changes are implemented rather than increase.
    My recent experience is that I think you are absolutely correct. The sausage machine accountants who don't give a stuff are likely to lose a lot of their market. Whilst the better firms are going to have to raise their game considerably in adding value to their clients business if they are to keep clients. (Something I have never seen actually happen). I am very happy I am not an accountant. Yet even I managed to complete Companies House and CT600 submissions on my own this year end using the numbers from QuickFile. I have no previous book keeping experience and my business is dead simple. The gov.uk portal could be slicker but it worked just fine. Just one input error I had to think about and fix before submitting to Co Ho and CT600. I am sure that with FreeAgent, there's going to be a lot of very experienced folks out there wondering exactly what they are paying the accountant for.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Who is it and are they Nixon Williams?
    They aren't on the recommended list

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Who is it and are they Nixon Williams?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Welcome to CUK Sally

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That sounds a bit odd.

Furlough ends in September and it's always been possible to submit your own information via the portal on gov.uk so what about that is coming in 2023?
    There is a good article here

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/self-em...-means-for-you
    What's that got to do with furlough? Why must people have an accountant for the one month left of the furlough scheme when they may have been managing for the past year or more to submit it themselves?

EDIT: and, it's only for the self employed and landlords. Not for the average LtdCo contractor.

I have to say, I wouldn't pick you as my accountant based on your posts so far...
    Last edited by ladymuck; 9 August 2021, 11:00.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    [QUOTE=SallySageAccounting;n4176970]

That sounds a bit odd.

Furlough ends in September and it's always been possible to submit your own information via the portal on gov.uk so what about that is coming in 2023?

/QUOTE]

And in that article it repeatedly says you need software to submit the items.

so as I've posted before I suspect it will result in people needing accountants to do far less than they did before rather than far more.

One reason why CT600 were not automated quickly was because if you only need to do them once a year, it's a job you offload to someone else. When you have to do them quarterly (say like you VAT tax return) software is written to allow you to do it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• SallySageAccounting
    replied

That sounds a bit odd.

Leave a comment:

• SallySageAccounting
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Please provide corroboration of that because I very much doubt it.

(I don’t doubt the tax returns, only that accountants are needed to do them.)
    My Account Manager at FreeAgent had advised us of only an accountant being able to file. Looking into it, I doubt it is correct. From what we can see, you will just require RTI friendly software, such as FreeAgent.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    With furlough and Self-Assessment RTI being introduced in 2023 (4 tax returns to file in the year), you will have to have an accountant. Only they can do these filings for you.
    Yeah, nice try

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    With furlough and Self-Assessment RTI being introduced in 2023 (4 tax returns to file in the year), you will have to have an accountant. Only they can do these filings for you.
    Given that FreeAgent can submit my tax return and can even do a CT600 where do you get the idea that an accountant will be required.

Heck some of the small business banks already have built in accounting software and that will be all that is required going forward for most people.

I seriously expect the need for accountants will go down when these changes are implemented rather than increase.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Oh that’s interesting LM, so even the tax returns are in doubt for Ltd’s of IT contractors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X