• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Super deduction - Time for new equipment?"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

All right smartass. I was being lazy with the terminology. "Reconciling multiple variables across multiple workstreams and datasets while allowing for variability in each dataset and observing the likely result and allowing for target finding on occasion" is just a bit clunky.

FWIW I've done a few rather more complex programming solutions over the years. An early and very effective real-time ACD for example, spawning specific campaign questionnaires to the operator's workstation. Building a suite of programs that analysed the feed requirements of a dairy herd to optimise milk quota production for another. Just got bored with having to learn new languages (about 8 of them and fifteen different Operating systems) and moved ton to rather more difficult challenges. Coders these days are just another resource variable afaic.
    Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    "Meaty calculations" in "Excel". Chuckle.
    All right smartass. I was being lazy with the terminology. "Reconciling multiple variables across multiple workstreams and datasets while allowing for variability in each dataset and observing the likely result and allowing for target finding on occasion" is just a bit clunky.

FWIW I've done a few rather more complex programming solutions over the years. An early and very effective real-time ACD for example, spawning specific campaign questionnaires to the operator's workstation. Building a suite of programs that analysed the feed requirements of a dairy herd to optimise milk quota production for another. Just got bored with having to learn new languages (about 8 of them and fifteen different Operating systems) and moved ton to rather more difficult challenges. Coders these days are just another resource variable afaic.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    "Meaty calculations" in "Excel". Chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Several of the things I consulted on managerially required some fairly meaty calculations, usually on Excel spreadsheets running at around 2-3 Gb.
    Oooh, 'ark at 'er. I'm so impressed...

I reminded of when I interfaced a VB system to an ERP system. The programmer proudly exclaimed that his database was 1GB in size. In the ERP ledger, just the General Ledger was 32GB. That was 20 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Sure, let's spend a silly amount of money (who need a £2k laptop these days?)
    I will say this - my £4k laptop ? is still going very well 5 years after purchasing.

Sometimes it makes sense to get something decent.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Said the management consultant who barely needs a notebook and anything he's written down can be thrown away.

No you're right. £2K isn't enough. Real IT types need one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Studio...CKV/ref=sr_1_2 £6599.
    Several of the things I consulted on managerially required some fairly meaty calculations, usually on Excel spreadsheets running at around 2-3 Gb. Datacentres don't just fall together, nor do £100m pound ITT responses or accurate service cost calculations.

I managed all I ever needed on an ASUS Zenbook costing a shade under £600 in 2010 and thought that was an extravagance. It was easily faster than the equivalent Mac (at around £1400) and had better graphics. Still got it, still works.

So yah boo to you...

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    Great incentive - totally makes up for IR35 and the challenges Brits will have getting Visas to work in EU/EEA.

Although, it does get me thinking about that ALIENWARE AURORA R12 "server" I've had my eye on for some time.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...who need a £2k laptop these days?...
    Said the management consultant who barely needs a notebook and anything he's written down can be thrown away.

No you're right. £2K isn't enough. Real IT types need one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Studio...CKV/ref=sr_1_2 £6599.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

no it's not. It's a discount.
    I know that but most people asking these type of questions don't.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

I agree completely. But the whole premise of the thread is to buy a super-expensive device, based on a new scheme, launched TODAY, but without any clear legislation to back it up.
    A laptop is really not the target asset of this really.
    It's as Maslins says. With the bump in CT coming, you don't want to stifle demand by forcing companies to delay their fixed asset purchases as a result of the CT change. It's quite a shrewd idea really.
    I didn't read it that way (yes, a glaring error about the saving, but that isn't uncommon). What Maslin's said was explicitly part of the announcement so, yeah, I agree with that. The whole design is based around consumption now in order to kickstart the recovery. Whether it really ends when the CT increase kicks in, I personally doubt it - Sunak is a highly political creature and he's created a political opportunity for himself, "Yeah CT is going up now, but look! A rabbit!". Either way, that intention was clear in the announcement.

I do not plan to second-guess the scheme. Obviously, we await the legislation, but I highly doubt that particular (e.g., small IT) companies are not being targeted equally because the whole point of the scheme is to increase consumption now.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I don't understand why anyone who is planning to upgrade their company's fixed assets would not plan to do so during the super-deduction period, regardless of business size. It really isn't that hard. The point of the super-deduction is to encourage spending on fixed assets sooner rather than later and it is obviously a decision input. Purchasing fixed assets for no good reason or that aren't required until 2078 is obviously a straw man.
    I agree completely. But the whole premise of the thread is to buy a super-expensive device, based on a new scheme, launched TODAY, but without any clear legislation to back it up.
    A laptop is really not the target asset of this really.
    It's as Maslins says. With the bump in CT coming, you don't want to stifle demand by forcing companies to delay their fixed asset purchases as a result of the CT change. It's quite a shrewd idea really.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I don't understand why a discount that lasts for 2 years, would have any bearing on a buying decision for a company device.
    If you don't need one then don't buy one.
    If you don't need one now it's quite conceivable you might in 2 years so why rush now?

And in any case, if you need one, this extra discount surely isn't going to be anything other than a nice bonus. Not a serious decision input.
    I don't understand why anyone who is planning to upgrade their company's fixed assets would not plan to do so during the super-deduction period, regardless of business size. It really isn't that hard. The point of the super-deduction is to encourage spending on fixed assets sooner rather than later and it is obviously a decision input. Purchasing fixed assets for no good reason or that aren't required until 2078 is obviously a straw man.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post

I think general consensus is the 130% super deduction is mainly aimed at counteracting incentive for big businesses to delay big capital investments. With the main CT rate going up from 19% to 25% in a couple of years, anyone expecting that jump to hit them considering big capital investments might be tempted to delay a couple of years, so the expenditure saves 25% CT rather than 19%. The 130% deduction counteracts that. The fact small businesses can benefit from it too I think is just a side effect that the government don't care about. I imagine the 130% super deduction will disappear at the same time the CT rate goes up.
    It's due to end 2023. So yes. Good call.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    I don't understand why a discount that lasts for 2 years, would have any bearing on a buying decision for a company device.
    If you don't need one now it's quite conceivable you might in 2 years so why rush now?

And in any case, if you need one, this extra discount surely isn't going to be anything other than a nice bonus. Not a serious decision input.
    I think general consensus is the 130% super deduction is mainly aimed at counteracting incentive for big businesses to delay big capital investments. With the main CT rate going up from 19% to 25% in a couple of years, anyone expecting that jump to hit them considering big capital investments might be tempted to delay a couple of years, so the expenditure saves 25% CT rather than 19%. The 130% deduction counteracts that. The fact small businesses can benefit from it too I think is just a side effect that the government don't care about. I imagine the 130% super deduction will disappear at the same time the CT rate goes up.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X