• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella, Dismissal due to Covid, No JRS - where do I stand"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Tell the church what's going on. They tend to work pretty hard to get these places shut. Make up something that requires a visit by the council or even the police. Start a campaign with other neighbours.
    You can't tell me there is noting you can do.

Either that or negotiate a deal. 50% of the first call in the day or something. Half price shag and first one of the day so nice and clean. Double bargain.
    You’ve finally found a business sector you’re qualified to comment on.

Alternatively OP, the old man will sort you out for a fiver in the gents end cubicle at Wigan Wallgate, any weekday morning before the Swan and Railway opens. Anything weird and it’s a tenner.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Mission accomplished
    Thought no-one would notice

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    Haha. That's always your answer to being pulled up, that other posters are sockies.

Always amazes me posters who always claim to be in continual contract and working, manage to spend so much of their time posting on here, virtually 24/7.

I post when switching focus between different clients.
    Just after I log my time for the client I'm switching from.

They all pay for me submit here.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I'd like to think my response failed to make me look clever too.

If not, I must apologies, and will try harder next time.
    Mission accomplished

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Haha. That's always your answer to being pulled up, that other posters are sockies.

Always amazes me posters who always claim to be in continual contract and working, manage to spend so much of their time posting on here, virtually 24/7.

I don't contract anymore...

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Only one person on this thread has failed to make themselves look clever. His first question was a complete non starter and was answer quickly and the rest is just banter as the OP seemed to think it was worth comparing it with the brothel so they got replies in the same vein.

Chill yer beans sockie.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Only one person on this thread has failed to make themselves look clever.
    I'd like to think my response failed to make me look clever too.

If not, I must apologies, and will try harder next time.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sadly the usual culprits with their usual utterly unhelpful and condescending comments. People get a bit desparate sometimes so resort to things others may consider totally unrelated. Except to try and make themselves look clever on the forum (and failing), I dont get why these eejits bother.
    Only one person on this thread has failed to make themselves look clever. His first question was a complete non starter and was answer quickly and the rest is just banter as the OP seemed to think it was worth comparing it with the brothel so they got replies in the same vein.

Chill yer beans sockie.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Sadly the usual culprits with their usual utterly unhelpful and condescending comments. People get a bit desparate sometimes so resort to things others may consider totally unrelated. Except to try and make themselves look clever on the forum (and failing), I dont get why these eejits bother.
    Um NLUK answered the contract issue immediately - without the secondary brothel question it would have been solved in the first 5 posts - contract was finished as the OP wasn't able to do the work, end of answer.

And it has nothing to do with IR35 - it's a zero hour contract, no work available = no payment.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by Drei View Post
    I have been looking on the forums to see if I can find the answer before posting, and I could not.

I am just looking for some advice on where I stand and who would be best to contact, ie ACAS, Work Tribunal.

Due to the IR35 reforms I decided to just accept a Inside role with Redbridge Council for O365 and Infrastructure. I accepted the role with a start date on 2nd March, the agency put me in touch with PayStream Umbrella. Contract running until 30th September.

Come April, my mum passed away and had to repatriate her. I informed the client that I will be flying with her around 10th July when the flights started up again and could take two weeks off or remote working with some time off as necessary (non billed of course) as I have been doing since April. Everything was great but either on the way there or over there I was infected with Covid, positive test etc. I informed my client that was very ill and bedridden and won't be able to work and provided them with scanned positive test certificates.

A few days afterwards the council gave me my notice for end of July as I wasn't able to attend meetings and people have complained.

PayStream have refused to help with JRS and I don't have any other income. I am not going in minus as I am claiming some JRS through my LTD, about £550 which is £450 after tax and my partner is covering our living expense but I would really like, not putting any financial strain on her.

I was wondering where I stand. Could I claim for unfair dismissal as the contract was terminated 2 months early? Not sure I can claim anything against PayStream. I am trying very hard to understand what the benefit of IR35 is for anyone except to screw over temporary workers. I think I would be better off doing permanent or fixed term, or provide a different service.

Judging by the brothel next to my house, that is the way to go, pay absolutely no taxes and earn around £300k tax free. Got months of video evidence of 60 customers per day, (60*£75)*365=£2,053,125, what does HMRC do about them. We've been trying for 3 to get them out months.

To the OP, no, there is no unfair dismissal here, just unfortunate circumstances and office politics resulting in the contract being terminated.

Yes, IR35 is purely to screw the unfortunate contractor but there's not a lot you can do about it unless you can find and secure an outside contract.

The brothel issue is one you need to repeatedly raise with your MP, the local council and health authorities. It's an unwelcome distraction.

You either keep on to Paystream about the JRS else you do it yourself. To be honest, if income is a priority right now, Id crack on myself or find someone else who can help.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    The brothel could be a good plan B here if you are prepared to work at it, not sure they would welcome the competition, you could pay your local church for protection
    If there's an adjoining wall to the brothel, drill a hole, insert camera, stream online for additional income.

Will probably pay more that JRS and Universal Credit combined.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    The brothel could be a good plan B here if you are prepared to work at it, not sure they would welcome the competition, you could pay your local church for protection

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    how do you know it's a brothel rather than a crack house?
    And a brothel isn't necessarily illegal either. There's no crime in taking, or paying, money for sex.
    Technically there is if it's a brothel although if they keep their noses clean and pay their taxes they get tolerated by the police.

The married couple behind Sandys Superstars who built a multi-million pound brothel business charging punters GBP50 for sex - Manchester Evening News
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 November 2020, 15:04.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    What does the brothel have to do with your contract being terminated though?
    Because the OP told the client he was bed ridden but really they were having 8 hour sessions next door so too tired to work. Client also frequents said establishment, found out and binned OP. OP then doesn't realise how they are employed by brolly and have a contract with them not the client.

And besides. It's a more interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Drei View Post
    Thanks for all the answers, so yet again IR35 screwing over people.

Regarding the brothel, it is very hard moving away when you own the place it would be just as hard breaking a tenancy agreement. Called the police and so did a number of people on the road.

The reason I counted the punters is because of the lock-down and the explicit rules on how many people can enter a residential house. So I took a few hours of my day and looked at the camera saving the footage to provide as evidence that they were breaking distancing the rules. After all having 60+ people a day in a residential property would be very likely to be a Covid breakout spot, which would affect my family and I directly and put our health and life at risk... would having your life on the line be good enough reason to do that?

How about rental and sale value being affected directly which would put me out of pocket.

I would also like to point out that the cameras are inside the house and that they are motion activated and the footage gets recycled every few days, so for those specific reasons, NO I don't need to have a sign up. The CCTV is only used for capturing illegal activities and any footage not used for that purpose is deleted automatically after two days (hence the reason why I had to spend time watching the footage and storing it before it got deleted).

Since the camera footage I saw was motion activated on people having part of their vehicle or body on my property, the number of punters could be much higher than 60.

It is very easy for people to comment, and one of the many things wrong in this world, I bet none of you would like to have a brothel next door, attracting all sorts of shady individuals including drug dealing. Having people come onto your property urinating, hanging about, throwing garbage, looking around... not sure anyone would like that.

A good thing that came out of it, if I ever would have felt the need to visit a prostitute, this cured me completely. The human perception sucks, unless you see something with your eyes, humans can dismiss anything. Just like COVID, so many people, including myself, put it down, dismiss it or don't quite see the impact, the moment they or someone close is affected... they become believers.
    how do you know it's a brothel rather than a crack house?
    And a brothel isn't necessarily illegal either. There's no crime in taking, or paying, money for sex.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X