• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice needed re parking fees"

Collapse

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Gosh, the wrath.

An ex of mine was working in Amsterdam back in roughly 2003. She was via a brolly. This was, repeat: Was, how it worked then. My knowledge, and memory, was of her relating this to me.

I should have considered the possibility of a change in laws and/or my recollection in the interim 16 years before deigning to comment. My mistake.

Now everyone, how about cocktails at mine!
    Sure bring your ex from Amsterdam - I remember where she put that brolly for £50 it made my eyes water

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    recollecting what?
    You said you'd never done it before, so you must recollect something that you guessed?
    Gosh, the wrath.

An ex of mine was working in Amsterdam back in roughly 2003. She was via a brolly. This was, repeat: Was, how it worked then. My knowledge, and memory, was of her relating this to me.

I should have considered the possibility of a change in laws and/or my recollection in the interim 16 years before deigning to comment. My mistake.

Now everyone, how about cocktails at mine!

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Well done, we are all exceedingly proud of you.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    He admitted it. Thus, you were in fact wrong. Will you say so?

"Man up man and withdraw"
    I was indeed wrong, simes has admitted he was completely clueless.

I withdraw my comment on saying simes would not man up

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    I get the feeling Simes will never admit to bring clueless or wrong - and start pulling other wrong peoples posts
    Oh crap!

Someone please delete all I've said here. What an unfortunate crock.

Sorry.

I seem to have had memories of previous brolly law. Quoting from a Travel thread, ladymuck says;
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Man up man and withdraw

If I’m wrong I say so, man up
    He admitted it. Thus, you were in fact wrong. Will you say so?

"Man up man and withdraw"

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    To be fair, that was the era from which I was dimly recollecting.
    recollecting what?
    You said you'd never done it before, so you must recollect something that you guessed?

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My experience was in 2005 when it was all just fields. That was in response to someone wanting to understand how expenses would work in a brolly example, and I responded by saying it was shown as an in and out transaction. Considering how badly I described it, I'm surprised anyone took any notice at all.
    To be fair, that was the era from which I was dimly recollecting.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not a chance.
    Fair play. I'll take this one on the chin.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Someone please delete all I've said here.
    Not a chance.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Oh crap!

Sorry.

I seem to have had memories of previous brolly law. Quoting from a Travel thread, ladymuck says;

Totally out of date...
    My experience was in 2005 when it was all just fields. That was in response to someone wanting to understand how expenses would work in a brolly example, and I responded by saying it was shown as an in and out transaction. Considering how badly I described it, I'm surprised anyone took any notice at all.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I thought that parking provided by employers isn't a BIK.
    OP's employer is their umbrella. They aren't providing parking for the OP. OP is paying out of their own pocket to pay at the end client's site. It's not the same thing.

A better analogy would be an employee whose employer does not provide any parking so they have to pay to park in a private car park near their office each day. This would not be a tax-deductible expense either.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Oh crap!

Sorry.
    While you are at it could you delete the other 574 load of old crock as well please.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You are completely wrong. The 5% applies only if you have an inside IR35 contract with the private sector and operate via your own limited company. The limited company (until April 2020) can deduct travel and subsistence expenses, and 5% of the remainder before calculating the NI due for that caught contract.

If you go through a brolly there is no 5%.
    Oh crap!

Sorry.

When I last used an umbrella, I would fill in an expenses sheet with receipts and that would be shown on my payslip as an in and out transaction but they would be pre-tax deduction, post-tax addition (or some such, the terminology escapes me). So, you would effectively not have any extra cash in your pocket but you didn't pay tax on that portion of your day rate.
    Totally out of date...
    Last edited by simes; 15 November 2019, 15:54.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Anyway, subsequent to GoT being added to the Ignore list, and subsequent to some digging.

1. If via a Brolly and Outside IR35, 5% rings true
    2. If via a Brolly and Inside IR35, there are no Expenses allowable, 5% or otherwise.

Pertinent to the initial post, MDavies does not tell us whether his contract is inside or outside.

Can IR35 contractors still work through a limited company? | Crunch.
    You are completely wrong. The 5% applies only if you have an inside IR35 contract with the private sector and operate via your own limited company. The limited company (until April 2020) can deduct travel and subsistence expenses, and 5% of the remainder before calculating the NI due for that caught contract.

If you go through a brolly there is no 5%.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    FTFY
    A rare wit. Thanks for your input.

Paraphrasing the bloody link and paragraphs. Read'em and let me know thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    I get the feeling Simes will never admit to bring clueless or wrong - and start pulling other wrong peoples posts

Man up man and withdraw

If I’m wrong I say so, man up

Leave a comment:

Working...
X