• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Petition sign here -Stop the Loan Charge 2019 from being applied retrospectively"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Oh I have.

It put me in touch with some consultants who stay a few months then move on. Its a stepping stone.
    Except that rather depends what they are there to do. Some clients refuse to listen to solid professional advice on how to resolve their particular problem. At that point there's no point beating your head against their wall, so let's move on to someone hopefully more receptive to being told. To the outsider the consultant looks to be at fault, but that is rarely actually the case.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    As cojak said.... It sounds like you have made some bad choices.
    Oh I have.

It put me in touch with some consultants who stay a few months then move on. Its a stepping stone.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    I don't think I have ever worked with an honest contractor
    As cojak said.... It sounds like you have made some bad choices.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The individual in that case was a whistle-blower who had been trying to get Companies House to tighten up it's checks and it back-fired on him.

Also, I would advise reconsidering the kind of company you keep...
    I agree. Brexit was the last straw. Contracting was never a long-term plan and I made some mistakes that taught me alot.

Amazing seeing "contractors" doing the same jobs as "permanents" often staying for much longer. There are some who behave like consultants. Those are the ones I try to spend my time with.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Are you referring to https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rters-of-fraud ?

I don't think I have ever worked with an honest contractor - one of the reasons I am moving away.
    The individual in that case was a whistle-blower who had been trying to get Companies House to tighten up it's checks and it back-fired on him.

Also, I would advise reconsidering the kind of company you keep...

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
    Ltd companies appear to be moving to the dodgier end of the spectrum each year.
    Are you referring to https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rters-of-fraud ?

I don't think I have ever worked with an honest contractor - one of the reasons I am moving away.

Leave a comment:

• QCApproved
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Could you add a note to the adverts that you welcome the support of honest contractors, who have previously been undercut on rate by contractors using dodgy schemes?

Ta.
    Maybe they were also a better candidate as well
    Ltd companies appear to be moving to the dodgier end of the spectrum each year.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    hahaha. Really? You're going to quote the same page I read but miss out the key part?

When you create a petition we ask for your name, email address and postcode.

We’ll publish your name along with the petition, but not your email address or postcode. We use these details to make sure you haven’t signed the petition already, and that you’re a real person (not a robot).

We’ll treat your personal information according to the Cabinet Office personal information charter.
    Nothing about people who sign, only those who create.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    isn't it anonymous?
    The JSON data doesn't include the names of signatories (just the creator).
    The privacy statement only talks about keeping the details of the petition creator.

I think you can sign it safely, just don't start one....
    https://petition.parliament.uk/privacy

We’ll share your details with other government or parliamentary bodies so they can respond to your petition. We may also share your details with government or parliamentary bodies so they can invite you to take part in discussions about the issues raised in your petition.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    176 people all providing HMRC with a reason to have a detailed look into their affairs alongside enough information for HMRC to do so.

Hmm, good plan that one...
    isn't it anonymous?
    The JSON data doesn't include the names of signatories (just the creator).
    The privacy statement only talks about keeping the details of the petition creator.

I think you can sign it safely, just don't start one....

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Hmm 176 signatures. Going well

I'm guessing this one won't be mentioned when you are telling everyone about your decent background in getting signatures over 100k?
    176 people all providing HMRC with a reason to have a detailed look into their affairs alongside enough information for HMRC to do so.

Hmm, good plan that one...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm guessing this one won't be mentioned when you are telling everyone about your decent background in getting signatures over 100k?
    Next petition: Bring back Jim'll Fix It.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Reads like....... it’s not fair that we are treated badly like footballers as we’re merely poor IT contractors.

That isn’t going anywhere. What about the inherent unfairness of retrospective legislation? Surely that’s the angle to use not some whining, slimey geek who might have to extend his mortgage by 5 years to pay his fair share of tax.
    It's retrospective legislation affecting some whining, slimey geek who might have to extend his mortgage by 5 years to pay his fair share of tax.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Reads like....... it’s not fair that we are treated badly like footballers as we’re merely poor IT contractors.

That isn’t going anywhere. What about the inherent unfairness of retrospective legislation? Surely that’s the angle to use not some whining, slimey geek who might have to extend his mortgage by 5 years to pay his fair share of tax.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X