• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency requesting ID for a Ltd company employee"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    The end client, if in FS, will want far more than your passport. They have their own levels of operational risk measures and if you don't accept them, you don't get to the desk that you can start accruing invoicing time at. But, yeah, you stick it to the man.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    If you get to the point where you feel that it is better to supply a scan, you should scan the passport in black and white, redact all numbers etc and write COPY across the photo.

This approach got me past a couple of jobsworth agents in the past. They can't really complain because you have provided a scan and they don't really know what it's for. They have a tick in their box and I am comfortable that all I have given away is a poor quality black and white image.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
    Best avoid any financial services gigs then
    Best avoid any gigs you get paid for.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And don't ever give them your address. They are passing it on to aliens who will come and take you away.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Originally posted by newmove View Post
    If they ask for your bank details too, please don't share it.
    Best avoid any financial services gigs then

Leave a comment:

• newmove
    replied
    If they ask for your bank details too, please don't share it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The agency are paying you so have a reasonable right to perform their own due diligence and on behalf of their clients.
    Asking for photo ID, and citing legislation that they acknowledge does not apply, is not the best way to perform due diligence.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Must have been a close run thing with 696 other posts of his.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expand this to cover any thread at all would it?
    Not unreasonable at all.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The way I see it, it's a nice easy way to prove who you say you are and (for most of us) proof that you have a right to work.

I don't send it to anyone who asks, but if you've had an interview and the role is being firmed up into a contract, sure.

The agency are paying you so have a reasonable right to perform their own due diligence and on behalf of their clients.
    ^^ This

And end client also want to know (especially in the public and financial sectors) that (sub)contractors have the correct right to work. It would be bad for their image if it turns out they are (sub)-contracting to illegal immigrants

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    The way I see it, it's a nice easy way to prove who you say you are and (for most of us) proof that you have a right to work.

I don't send it to anyone who asks, but if you've had an interview and the role is being firmed up into a contract, sure.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It is illegal for an agency to charge to find work.

I'm sure that everything happens exactly as you say though
    I don't think they're charging him.

He's bribing them. That's very different.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    What legal implications? I’m hiring an agent on a contingent fee basis. Nothing illegal about that.
    It is illegal for an agency to charge to find work.

I'm sure that everything happens exactly as you say though

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How do you get round the legal issues that ensue?
    What legal implications? I’m hiring an agent on a contingent fee basis. Nothing illegal about that. The conversation usually goes something like this:

HW calls recruitment agency: Hi. I see you’re located next to Bigclient co. Do you place people there?

Agent: Yes. We do work with them all the time and have great contacts there.
    HW: Great. I see they’ve just won a contract to do XYZ and they’ll be needing people to do ABC. Are you involved with this?

Agent: Oh yes. We’ve got great contacts there. Now which contract were you referencing again? And how did you hear about this?
    HW: XYZ. They’re going to need someone to do ABC and I wondered if you could get my CV to the right people.

Agent: Hold a moment (murmurs in background). Are you free to come and discuss this with us?
    HW: OK. Let’s set a date.

Meet agent and his boss: Tell us what you know about contract XYZ.
    HW: Waffle waffle as they scribble like mad…so I’ve got a strong background in this area but they don’t allow direct contact. I need an agent who can get me in there.

Agent: We have great contacts at BigClientco. I’m actually meeting the HR Director this afternoon.
    HW <smiles>: Well you’ve got my CV. I’ll hire you as my agent on a non-exclusive basis. You get me in there, you get paid.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by snoopy20 View Post
    The first agency tried it a couple month back and were insistive up front so a contract wasn't agreed. The current agency did not request it until after the contract was active.

This has nothing to do with the original question which has now been answered.
    If it is with the same client, let's just hope you didn't agree that the first agent would represent you, otherwise they might be in contact if/when they find out.

Leave a comment:

• snoopy20
    replied
    The first agency tried it a couple month back and were insistive up front so a contract wasn't agreed. The current agency did not request it until after the contract was active.

This has nothing to do with the original question which has now been answered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X