• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "24 Month Rule - Paying Back of Claimed Expenses"

Collapse

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yeah, of course. It's only tax law, innit...

I didn't say it wasn't stupid. In fact there is a very strong case for the 24 month rule not applying to Ltd Co contractors at all, but that has been ignored by HMT every time it's been raised. Meanwhile we are where we are and saying laws can be ignored because nobody (in your experience) has been done for breaking them is the stupid bit.
    An example here

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    exactly - not worth worrying about
    Yeah, of course. It's only tax law, innit...

I didn't say it wasn't stupid. In fact there is a very strong case for the 24 month rule not applying to Ltd Co contractors at all, but that has been ignored by HMT every time it's been raised. Meanwhile we are where we are and saying laws can be ignored because nobody (in your experience) has been done for breaking them is the stupid bit.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    That's plainly stupid. Once again I think this is an evidence questions. Who has ever been prosecuted by HMRC for something like this ? Ever ?
    exactly - not worth worrying about

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Like many things all discussions about change of location WRT the 24 month rule are speculative. We only have HMRC guidance and case law to go on and it would ultimately come down to one tax inspector’s opinion vs your ability to argue otherwise (or tribunal if it went that far).

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The quick (and very rough) test for London is if you would travel to the same mainline railway station. Coming out of Waterloo and walking south rather than north is not a different journey, having to go to Marylebone rather than Waterloo would be.

But I agree, you need two temporary locations for expenses to be claimable (which is why umbrella users can't claim anything, incidentally). If you've only ever had one then it's a BIK.
    That's plainly stupid. Once again I think this is an evidence questions. Who has ever been prosecuted by HMRC for something like this ? Ever ?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    In the OP's case that it's not a single assignment. It's multiple assignments in a single location.

If you're an IPSE member, it might be worth a call to the tax helpline. Failing that, HMRC's helpline.
    But you could argue it's with an overarching contract. The new work is just changes to the schedule of work. Would be interesting to see what IPSE or HMRC say.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I thought that had changed - I'm sure that I've posted that before and either Lucy or Lisa at CU said that they had had different guidance from HMRC about being able to claim for travel if you were working for only one contract under an umbrella company.

That may have changed since then though.
    If it was Lisa it would be in reference to the HMRC's guidance notes with expenses and I don't remember any change quite that large appearing in them.

Mind you umbrellas are a sideline here. With an umbrella you sign a contracting stating that you are working for company a at location x and commuting isn't an allowed expense. With a limited company always have work to do at home and therefore the commute is allowable business travel...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    In the OP's case that it's not a single assignment. It's multiple assignments in a single location.

If you're an IPSE member, it might be worth a call to the tax helpline. Failing that, HMRC's helpline.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My thinking is that you'd have an overarching contract working for your limited company and also for an umbrella - which would mean that the expenses are allowed because each contract is to a temporary location.

I can find a post from 2015 where I said that Lisa had got clarification about the final contract being allowed to claim travel expenses, so all I can presume is that some time in 2014/15 there is a post about it from Lisa
    Well I found the one I was thinking of which is before yours. Lisa clearly states that a single assignments means it is permanent and also states it's changed and the last assignment is now classed as temporary.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1936958

Unless I've missed something I can't find anything to say the rule about a single assignment has changed.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But this is about brollies so not sure how relavant it is.
    My thinking is that you'd have an overarching contract working for your limited company and also for an umbrella - which would mean that the expenses are allowed because each contract is to a temporary location.

I can find a post from 2015 where I said that Lisa had got clarification about the final contract being allowed to claim travel expenses, so all I can presume is that some time in 2014/15 there is a post about it from Lisa

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Rather frustratingly I can find a ton of posts confirming one assignment means no expenses but not the one TF is talking about where I am sure Lisa said it had changed.

Interestingly enough though, a few of them talk about stopping claiming once you know it's going to be the only one, nothing about paying it back... But then I didn't read them all.

Like this one.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=87909

And the search I used is...
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Si...iw=360&bih=560

But this is about brollies so not sure how relavant it is.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I guess it's only moot if the OP has already repaid expenses to the company - if not, then I'd be making sure whether the advice has changed or not.

I know I said something about not being able to claim it if you'd only done one contract and one of the CU MDs definitely said that it had changed.
    I meant with the rules changing around expenses and Umbrellas since. I thought that thread was before the changes.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yeah. I saw that thread when I was searching. Wish I'd saved the link now... But it's a moot point now surely?
    I guess it's only moot if the OP has already repaid expenses to the company - if not, then I'd be making sure whether the advice has changed or not.

I know I said something about not being able to claim it if you'd only done one contract and one of the CU MDs definitely said that it had changed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I thought that had changed - I'm sure that I've posted that before and either Lucy or Lisa at CU said that they had had different guidance from HMRC about being able to claim for travel if you were working for only one contract under an umbrella company.

Yeah. I saw that thread when I was searching. Wish I'd saved the link now... But it's a moot point now surely?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    As mal says, that's why if you do a single contract with an umbrella then you can't reclaim travel expenses regardless of duration.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X