• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Renewal Refused After Initial Offer"

Collapse

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Let me get this right:
    4 weeks before the end of your existing contract you were offered an extension which you verbally accepted.
    The agent cancelled the contract offer after 2 weeks of you not signing it.
    You then tried to sign the contract 3 weeks after it was offered, and one week after the offer was cancelled, at which point there was nothing to sign, so you are left working your last week of the existing contract for the client.

If you had signed the contract you might have had a slight argument (but only slight), by refusing to sign it for two weeks, then having the contract pulled by the agent, you've got nothing to complain about. A written contract trumps a verbal one every time. If you accept a verbal contract but reject a written one, you can't go back to claim that the verbal one counts for anything.
    I'm not sure that the OP "refused" to sign the contract, they were on holiday after all.

I think the most important thing here is that the OP verbally agreed to the extension. That should have been enough. Let's face it, if the shoe were on the other foot - that is, if a contractor verbally confirms but then later rescinds said verbal confirmation - it's seen as the height of unprofessionalism and tantamount to breach of contract.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Also a contractor is only paid for the work they are asked to do and actually do - if no work is available from the end client then there is no work to do.

Yes its annoying but that is what you agreed to when you become a contractor.

If you want people to give you 4 weeks notice go Permanent and accept the very different pay scales that come when clients can't stop paying you immediately...
    Not necessarily for this role/question.

But..

Lets assume you're contracting in the public sector, and forced to operate via an umbrella or one of the other new ways of working - what is the general consensus for those people being paid like employees, starting to act and demand similar rights to employees?

I know the umbrella will bend for the client and at best only pay min wage, but i do think if these changes have been forced on people and want to look at these, in my opinion many of which still being true contractors as employees, they should start to act like employees and demand rights as such.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Let me get this right:
    4 weeks before the end of your existing contract you were offered an extension which you verbally accepted.
    You then tried to sign the contract 3 weeks after it was offered, and one week after the offer was cancelled, at which point there was nothing to sign, so you are left working your last week of the existing contract for the client.

If you had signed the contract you might have had a slight argument (but only slight), by refusing to sign it for two weeks, then having the contract pulled by the agent, you've got nothing to complain about. A written contract trumps a verbal one every time. If you accept a verbal contract but reject a written one, you can't go back to claim that the verbal one counts for anything.
    Best one I've seen for a while! We need more of these to brighten my day.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Let me get this right:

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But you said yourself there has to be a contract in place. I would be very surprised if they would cover a verbal one. I guess it would depend on the exact wording of the mail. The last extension I got the conversation indicated a renewal was on its way and I'll get the paperwork soon rather than a verbal declaration of renewal thst will stand up as a binding contract.
    Ahh yeah good point. Would be worth giving a shot I guess.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    IPSE+ covers this situation doesn't it?
    But you said yourself there has to be a contract in place. I would be very surprised if they would cover a verbal one. I guess it would depend on the exact wording of the mail. The last extension I got the conversation indicated a renewal was on its way and I'll get the paperwork soon rather than a verbal declaration of renewal thst will stand up as a binding contract.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Khan View Post
    Hi,

My agency offered me contract renewal 4 weeks in advance via email. Agency told me that everything (rate/notice period etc.) will remain same as previous term. I accepted that verbally, next day I received the contract document to sign. After 2 weeks the agency cancelled the contract while I was on holidays. After holidays I tried to sign the online document but I was informed that the renewal offer has been withdrawn due to client's internal decision. So I got only 4 days time to wrap-up and start looking for new job.

Is the email from agency for contract renewal a legal binding? Can I claim 3 weeks damages?
    Why didn't you sign when on holiday ? Not ideal, unless you were in the deep jungle or something, but worth doing to get out the way. Without a sign contract this is not binding but also is it worth the hassle in chasing ? IMO and other posters move on and find the next, better, contract.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    IPSE+ covers this situation doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    You need to understand a contract as a framework in which services delivered will be paid for. It is not a guarantee of work.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Enjoi extra vacations and search for a new contract.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    • * The contract ended.
      * You don't have anything to sue against.
      * You are a contractor - it's not unusual to be benched between contracts, that's why you're paid more than permies.

It's just a fact of contractor life, use your energy to find another contract.
    Also a contractor is only paid for the work they are asked to do and actually do - if no work is available from the end client then there is no work to do.

Yes its annoying but that is what you agreed to when you become a contractor.

If you want people to give you 4 weeks notice go Permanent and accept the very different pay scales that come when clients can't stop paying you immediately...

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    +1 to what cojak says up there ^^^^. Nothing to see here, move along there now.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    • * The contract ended.
      * You don't have anything to sue against.
      * You are a contractor - it's not unusual to be benched between contracts, that's why you're paid more than permies.

It's just a fact of contractor life, use your energy to find another contract.

Leave a comment:

• Khan
    started a topic Contract Renewal Refused After Initial Offer

Contract Renewal Refused After Initial Offer

Hi,

My agency offered me contract renewal 4 weeks in advance via email. Agency told me that everything (rate/notice period etc.) will remain same as previous term. I accepted that verbally, next day I received the contract document to sign. After 2 weeks the agency cancelled the contract while I was on holidays. After holidays I tried to sign the online document but I was informed that the renewal offer has been withdrawn due to client's internal decision. So I got only 4 days time to wrap-up and start looking for new job.

Is the email from agency for contract renewal a legal binding? Can I claim 3 weeks damages?

Working...
X