• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPSE and Tax Avoidance"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Right I will not put up with slagging off others. Keep it civil please.
    OK. Understood, thanks for your tolerance and understanding. I'll say no more here.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Not to worry, Mudskipper "is on thin ice" here. Anyone who is a member can see how MS joined in a couple of weeks ago when someone put forward an alternative reality to the official IPSE one, along with the highest level of TPTB. They're fooling nobody but themselves with this. Which is really sad to see given what I wrote further up the thread about membership being essential to a MyCo Ltd user.
    Right I will not put up with slagging off others. Keep it civil please.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Are you going to enter parliament? That is a load of nonsense...
    Some tax avoidance involves the use of a scheme. Such things are called tax avoidance schemes. PCG (or whatever they're called now) won't support people involved in tax avoidance schemes.

PCG will support people involved in other types of tax avoidance: working through a ltd co, income shifting etc.

HTH and Happy New Year. Just enjoyed a plate of snails. Yum.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Small point, but there is a difference between tax avoidance techniques and tax avoidance schemes. Income shifting is not a tax avoidance scheme.
    Are you going to enter parliament? That is a load of nonsense. It is all avoidance. It is the duty of every taxpayer to arrange their own affairs so that they pay the least tax - with evasion.

To add to what BB said, it really annoys me that multinational companies pay almost no UK tax. It could be closed. But HMRC bully people who cannot defend themselves - for far less gain than could be got elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    If you're 'exporting' that implies you are resident in the UK. Therefore you still have tax liabilities in the UK even if all your customers are overseas.
    Unless of course you're a non-dom.
    Sadly, when I export my skills to asia and the middle east, the presence of my body there is also required. I meet my UK tax obligations in full and to the letter in line with the guidelines on HMRC website. They are actually very helpful and pretty easy to follow too, for a change. Yes, I am exporting. The fruits of my labour will be brought back to the UK at some point, but I doubt it'll make much impact on the trade deficit.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    ..Everyone who is in IPSE or thinking of joining needs to re read Fred's comment and let it sink in.

PCG \ IPSE doesnt support people in tax avoidance schemes blah, blah, effing blah.

Well, if income shifting to a non (contracting) spouse isnt 'tax avoidance,' I dont know what the eff is!
    Small point, but there is a difference between tax avoidance techniques and tax avoidance schemes. Income shifting is not a tax avoidance scheme.

Back in the day around 2008, 7 years after HMRC took interest in the MP scheme in particular and when BN66 (retrospection came about) there were plenty of posts from PCG members stating 'if PCG gave any assistance of whatever means' to people caught up in BN66, they would 'immediately petition against this help' at the highest levels of PCG and if PCG continued would withdraw their membership.
    I can see why. Although I'm entirely opposed to BN66 because of its retrospective aspect, which is entirely immoral and unfair, the public would have just seen the PCG supporting tax avoidance. This was even a danger with Arctic, but it seems to have been successfully navigated. The schemes that BN66 target are an entirely different ball game.

I have not been a member of PCG for very long time, so I've a disinterest in the topic.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Nope, Im back into exile until that uber **** NAT ****s off.
    And I love you too.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I would export my skills. So, I now sell my skills as an employee in asia and the middle east. I make the same income as I did as a MyCo contractor, I am contributing to reducing the UK's balance of payments deficit. Everyone is happy, me, HMG and my new employers. The only person not so happy is Mr Hammond as his plan to squeeze me until the pips squeaked has seriously back fired. He now gets 100% of what I earn in the UK as tax, I guess he's happy with that. Shame is, my UK earnings are now zero.
    If you're 'exporting' that implies you are resident in the UK. Therefore you still have tax liabilities in the UK even if all your customers are overseas.
    Unless of course you're a non-dom.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Hi Fred. Just to clarify, the post isnt a go at you. Sorry to hear you're in IPSE.
    OK thanks. As we're into clarifications, yes I am an IPSE member but only until my membership runs out in 2017. I've not only given up at IPSE I have given up on the whole MyCo Ltd way of working. Seeing as HMRC/HMG are determined to tax me like never before, I decided to take an offer of full time employment again.

Further more, since HMG wants us to export more from the UK, I decided that due to nobody wanting my skills any more in the UK, I would export my skills. So, I now sell my skills as an employee in asia and the middle east. I make the same income as I did as a MyCo contractor, I am contributing to reducing the UK's balance of payments deficit. Everyone is happy, me, HMG and my new employers. The only person not so happy is Mr Hammond as his plan to squeeze me until the pips squeaked has seriously back fired. He now gets 100% of what I earn in the UK as tax, I guess he's happy with that. Shame is, my UK earnings are now zero.

Oh well, such is life, but while I feel I have something to contribute here, I will do so.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    BB is back

WB BB.
    Nope, Im back into exile until that uber **** NAT ****s off.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Well, BB. I have a deal of respect for your view. I will wish you a HNY, even if as an IPSE member I don't qualify for one in return.
    Hi Fred. Just to clarify, the post isnt a go at you. Sorry to hear you're in IPSE.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    BB is back

WB BB.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Well, BB. I have a deal of respect for your view. I will wish you a HNY, even if as an IPSE member I don't qualify for one in return.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I did find it amusing when Philip Hammond called IPSE part of the problem....
    Well, actually, I'd be highly delighted at that.

The invitations to the cosy fireside chats at No 10 will get nobody anywhere very quickly. That seems to be one of the key parts of the new strategy that we're not supposed to ask questions about.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Sorry, Im going to have to stop coming out of self imposed exile (again!) but this point and PCG \ IPSE made me have to go and change my skiddies.

OK, to try to clarify for you - PCG, now IPSE had great success for ten years or more keeping HMRC at bay for the members regarding IR35. The high water mark was obviously the Arctic Systems income splitting case.
    Everyone who is in IPSE or thinking of joining needs to re read Fred's comment and let it sink in.

PCG \ IPSE doesnt support people in tax avoidance schemes blah, blah, effing blah.

Well, if income shifting to a non (contracting) spouse isnt 'tax avoidance,' I dont know what the eff is!

If the Artic Systems case was before the Courts today, it would be deemed 'tax avoidance' and 'aggressive' by just about everyone. The fact that (PCG) IPSE and its core members did not and will not offer support to people caught in such avoidance schemes today is duplicitous to say the least.

Back in the day around 2008, 7 years after HMRC took interest in the MP scheme in particular and when BN66 (retrospection came about) there were plenty of posts from PCG members stating 'if PCG gave any assistance of whatever means' to people caught up in BN66, they would 'immediately petition against this help' at the highest levels of PCG and if PCG continued would withdraw their membership.

The hypocrisy of those PCG \ IPSE member is truely astounding.

PCG, IPSE or whatever else they effing call themselves can GTF as far as Im concerned. Oh, and dont get me started on their balls up of the 'Opt out' either.

Happy New Year to you all except IPSE members. I hope you playing with the tax system comes back on you some day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X