• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Naive Brolly Question"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Most people on here, at least the longtimers, have made their bones at the contracting game so I don't get the one-upmanship and trying to belittle. I'd guess most of us have been at it 10+ years so we're all successful i our own rights.

And as a final point, if everyone stopped asking questions on here there would be no forum, so whilst I may have asked something that may have had an answer somewhere on the forum, I couldn't find exactly what i wanted and so asked the question and do appreciate the answers I got.

p.s. I don't see contracting as a career choice. No one pays me for being a contractor. They pay me for the skills and experience I bring to the role. Contracting is a channel I use to sell those skills.
    Wrong on several levels, but hey, you listen to what you want to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Sorry that you didn't understand the gist of my post. The idea is you search this site, where your question is answered in great detail. Of course you got a good answer from CU, they are very good, they are in the business, they are honest (unlike some) and - say it quietly - they would prefer you to work through them. All of which you could have gleaned with a very little effort.

I don't care if you're impressed or not, I've made my bones at this contracting game and am comfortable with my lot. What does grate, however, is a contractor that CBA to use the tools of his trade. Being a contractor is a career choice and your job, regardless of whatever it is you do to earn the shekels, and sadly by asking us to do the research for you, you don't impress me as being very good at it.
    Most people on here, at least the longtimers, have made their bones at the contracting game so I don't get the one-upmanship and trying to belittle. I'd guess most of us have been at it 10+ years so we're all successful i our own rights.

And as a final point, if everyone stopped asking questions on here there would be no forum, so whilst I may have asked something that may have had an answer somewhere on the forum, I couldn't find exactly what i wanted and so asked the question and do appreciate the answers I got.

p.s. I don't see contracting as a career choice. No one pays me for being a contractor. They pay me for the skills and experience I bring to the role. Contracting is a channel I use to sell those skills.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    You do realise that you have the option not to answer questions that you deem a waste of time don't you? Trying to prove you're superior by not actually giving an answer doesn't really work. And for your info, I did do a search via Google and a lot of contradictory info pops up so instead of wasting my time trying to work out the fact from fiction I thought I'd ask those who may know.

Thankfully I had a good answer off CU

And yep, I have gone far ... it's amazing how many poor candidates there are out there
    Sorry that you didn't understand the gist of my post. The idea is you search this site, where your question is answered in great detail. Of course you got a good answer from CU, they are very good, they are in the business, they are honest (unlike some) and - say it quietly - they would prefer you to work through them. All of which you could have gleaned with a very little effort.

I don't care if you're impressed or not, I've made my bones at this contracting game and am comfortable with my lot. What does grate, however, is a contractor that CBA to use the tools of his trade. Being a contractor is a career choice and your job, regardless of whatever it is you do to earn the shekels, and sadly by asking us to do the research for you, you don't impress me as being very good at it.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    But not too idle to ask us to waste our time answering stupid questions that are easily answered by a five second search? Heigh ho...

You'll go far. Hopefully
    You do realise that you have the option not to answer questions that you deem a waste of time don't you? Trying to prove you're superior by not actually giving an answer doesn't really work. And for your info, I did do a search via Google and a lot of contradictory info pops up so instead of wasting my time trying to work out the fact from fiction I thought I'd ask those who may know.

Thankfully I had a good answer off CU

And yep, I have gone far ... it's amazing how many poor candidates there are out there

Leave a comment:

• youngguy
    replied
    Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    OK with regards to the Pensions - this isn't an issue, the pension payments are still made via salary sacrifice so you will gain the tax relief at the point of processing the payment.
    Lucy, just curious

How would pension contributions affect take home , for example a £500pd contractor through umbrella with 0 pension payments vs one who put £24k pa into a pension?

Also. Is that payable into any pension or the umbrella's own pension provider?

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    If we do all eventually get forced down the Brolly route, how will this impact pension payments and T&E? Can we still put a lump each year into a pension and get tax benefit (I assume so) but would this come out at source or would we get paid the salary, pay into pension then get the rebate back via tax return?

How about PII? Under a Brolly do contractors need this as we're employed via the Brolly and no longer via our own LTD. Saves 250 quid a year.
    OK with regards to the Pensions - this isn't an issue, the pension payments are still made via salary sacrifice so you will gain the tax relief at the point of processing the payment.

T&S is no longer allowed via a compliant brolly, but if you are not under Supervision, Direction or Control by the end client then you may be able to claw this back via self-assessment at the end of the year. Our suggestion is that you speak directly with HMRC to get them to confirm if you are under SDC or not, don't bother with some of these so-called tests that are around, as HMRC are the only ones who will decide.

Insurance is normally included within the margin the brolly charges, so yes you would be saving that! Hope that helps

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    But not too idle to ask us to waste our time answering stupid questions that are easily answered by a five second search? Heigh ho...

You'll go far. Hopefully
    He's definitely consultant material nqat

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Yup.

You'll go far. Hopefully

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Too idle to even post it in the right part of the forum it seems.
    Yup.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Interesting, but wouldn't I be an employee of the Brolly, and therefore either my main working address is either their office, or my home office, and hence any travel to another office (say the client) should be claimable? If I worked for a consultancy I'd be allowed to claim travel. But hey, the gov likes to make rules for one and different for others ...
    You need to read this.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2338432
    Last edited by administrator; 29 November 2016, 16:37. Reason: Quoted winker.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Too idle to even post it in the right part of the forum it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You don't get travel and expenses with a brolly. Well you would get the expenses a permanent employee may get but there are some nasty gotchas that limit even those
    Interesting, but wouldn't I be an employee of the Brolly, and therefore either my main working address is either their office, or my home office, and hence any travel to another office (say the client) should be claimable? If I worked for a consultancy I'd be allowed to claim travel. But hey, the gov likes to make rules for one and different for others ...
    Last edited by administrator; 29 November 2016, 16:37. Reason: No winking here please...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Always worked via a LTD, so don't know a great deal on how Brollies work ... I know I could go searching but I'm idle and easier to ask a question

If we do all eventually get forced down the Brolly route, how will this impact pension payments and T&E? Can we still put a lump each year into a pension and get tax benefit (I assume so) but would this come out at source or would we get paid the salary, pay into pension then get the rebate back via tax return?

As for T&E, I currently pay 650 a month train as I need to commute into the big smoke - would this be claimable back as I'd be an employee of the Brolly? Again, I assume so but wanted to double check.

How about PII? Under a Brolly do contractors need this as we're employed via the Brolly and no longer via our own LTD. Saves 250 quid a year.

I think so long as I can keep my rate at the 500+ I'll still struggle on contracting Not moving across until I have to, but when/if the time comes the contractor life for me via a Brolly is still better than permie. May even take an easy life in the PS as there'll be a shortage of contractors over there
    You don't get travel and expenses with a brolly. Well you would get the expenses a permanent employee may get but there are some nasty gotchas that limit even those

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    started a topic Naive Brolly Question

Naive Brolly Question

Always worked via a LTD, so don't know a great deal on how Brollies work ... I know I could go searching but I'm idle and easier to ask a question

As for T&E, I currently pay 650 a month train as I need to commute into the big smoke - would this be claimable back as I'd be an employee of the Brolly? Again, I assume so but wanted to double check.

I think so long as I can keep my rate at the 500+ I'll still struggle on contracting Not moving across until I have to, but when/if the time comes the contractor life for me via a Brolly is still better than permie. May even take an easy life in the PS as there'll be a shortage of contractors over there

Working...
X