• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Digital Product Manager / Product Owner - What flat rate do I fit into?"

Collapse

• john@UKCA
    replied
    startegic marketing -FRS

VAT Flat Rate for Marketing Consultant | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Product owner/manager is most definitely not a BA. It's quite a distinct role and people who do it can come from an IT background, but many don't.

If your a product manager and that product is mainly an IT product, then I think it would be difficult to choose advertising for FRV, unless maybe you're consulting exclusively in the advertising sector.

Looking at the list, I would think the only other applicable category would be Management Consultancy, which is only half a % better for you. I'd say this would only work if your responsible for stuff outside of IT though. So if you're there to make decisions on and prioritise product features, but also have a say in how that product is marketed, distributed and priced, then this might be more suitable.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by dingdong View Post
    Product manager is a fairly recent new career hence why it won't be in HMRC's list.

I'd say IT or management consultancy - remember you'll get a 1% discount in the first year.
    Surely, it's not about the job title it's about the industry\trade sector as you could be a product manager in a number of sectors. Also, as an IT contractor say contracted to a retailer I doubt you could put down retailing (4%), and of course your next contract might be a firm in transportation making your category incorrect.

So if you're in IT the ones you choose could be:

Computer and IT consultancy or data processing - the obvious one
    •Data processing and database activities Hardware and software consultants
    •Software publishing
    14.5%

Computer repair services - might need to buy many bits to prove you're fixing stuff
    •Computer repairs
    10.5%

Maybe:

Management consultancy - saves 0.5%
    •Business consultancy
    •Financial consultancy
    •Management consultancy
    •Public relations

14%

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Pick the lowest one you think you can reasonably get away with and be prepared to argue it if the worst happens.

Leave a comment:

• dingdong
    replied
    Product manager is a fairly recent new career hence why it won't be in HMRC's list.

I'd say IT or management consultancy - remember you'll get a 1% discount in the first year.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    A Product Manager is the customer. The voice of the business. Decides on product road map, requirements priority. Works with the BA but less technical.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ghuznee View Post
    A product manager investigates, selects, and drives the development of products for an company. Usually to help drive online acquisition, improve brand.

Eg: It might be building some functionality for an app or some marketing activity (improve the customer journey to help increase transactions.

OK, so my bit about not using buzzwords seems to have failed.

Investigates: research. Means nothing
    Selects: Purchases, decision maker
    Drives: chauffeur. Means nothing
    Development of products: Manufacturing
    Online Acquisition: Purchasing. eBay is quite good for online acquisitions.
    Improve brand: Means nothing
    "Building some functionality for an app": if it doesn't have functionality it isn't an application.
    "Some marketing activity": Standing on Regent's Street advertising a golf sale?
    "Improve the customer journey": If you don't work in travel, customers don't go on journeys.
    "Help increase transactions": Sell more.

So, you work in advertising/marketing.
    Or do you work as an analyst who analyses all the above vapourware and then makes suggestions
    Or are you working on the technology in the background, i.e. providing consultancy services around IT?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Digital Product Manager / Product Owner - What flat rate do I fit into?

I would work with BA's to help define exactly what the stakeholder / customer wants needs. And be the 'vision' for the product. BA would do all the technical details of how that would be built.

I'm more what what needs to be built.
    In old-world speak he's a BA who works with System Analysts.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I was afraid you were going to say that...
    Yep he's right, you are in the 14.5% bracket.

Leave a comment:

• ghuznee
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Sounds like a post word(s) for a BA
    I would work with BA's to help define exactly what the stakeholder / customer wants needs. And be the 'vision' for the product. BA would do all the technical details of how that would be built.

I'm more what what needs to be built.

Leave a comment:

• ghuznee
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    This one I'd have thought:

Computer and IT consultancy or data processing

•Software publishing

14.5%

If you're an IT contractor
    I was afraid you were going to say that...

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    This one I'd have thought:

Computer and IT consultancy or data processing

•Software publishing

14.5%

If you're an IT contractor

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What is a "product manager"?
    What do you actually do? (please respond without using buzzwords)
    The Product Owner (PO) is the member of the Agile Team who serves as the Customer proxy and is responsible for working with Product Management and other stakeholders—including other Product Owners—to define and prioritize Stories in the Team Backlog so that the Solution effectively addresses program priorities
    Sounds like a post word(s) for a BA

Leave a comment:

• ghuznee
    replied
    A product manager investigates, selects, and drives the development of products for an company. Usually to help drive online acquisition, improve brand.

Eg: It might be building some functionality for an app or some marketing activity (improve the customer journey to help increase transactions.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    He manages products... Duhhhhhhh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X